• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

MR PopUp or Eberlestock MainFrame? Or budget option?

HuumanCreed

SH Member
After dragging a doe for a mile up and down hills. Im done, my back still feeling it. So saving up for a frame pack and learning the gutless method. Im leaning toward a popup 28 that sometimes goes on sale at Camofire. But l kind of like the Mainframe and it versatility. But the Alps Outdoorz Commander Lite is only around $120. Any thoughts?

Im a big proponent of the Pop Up. It does what you want it to do almost perfectly and you can sometimes get it on sale or used for less than the mainframe.

My dad decided this year he wanted a frame pack and even though I tried to convince him to buy a pop up he went the budget route and orders two different Cabelas frame packs, similar to the Alps, to see which one he would like better. After getting them and comparing them side by size to my pop up he sent them both back and ordered a pop up.

Last edited:
I have no experience with the other two but am a very big fan of my popup. I got the 38 which is really too big for whitetail, but I use it for other stuff too, it was great as a carry on that I could later expand for my recent Alaska trip etc.

If you want to test a pop up (38) out I'm in college park area, let me know

I really like the pop up 28. I have split time this season between that and my much more expensive Kifaru StrykerXL and it’s every bit up to the task. Some things about the 28 I actually like better.

Last edited:

I am a fan of a more minimalist approach and if I need to go bigger I can always Do that. If I were you I’d look at this and similar especially since we are talking about boned out white tails.

Add up weight of your soft saddle, platform, ropes, and frame pack.

Add up weight of hybrid, four squirrel or hawk or bullman steps, ropes, and “bag” of your choice for your gear.

Reconsider based on that calculation if the weight of the hybrid is that big of a deal still.

If so,

I personally don’t like eberlestock gear. It feels clunky. That’s a personal preference. I loved my popup. Of those two I’d def go popup.

I’ve swapped to exo for my frame pack when im not using the hybrid. That’s rare, and I’ve also outfitted my hybrid with an exo shoulder harness and hip belt. And one on my pac seat.

I use the JX3 versa pack system with all 3 setups and standalone. It earns its name. Though it’s expensive and you could piece together various soft small pouches and packs for around the same price or cheaper.

I have no experience with the other two but am a very big fan of my popup. I got the 38 which is really too big for whitetail, but I use it for other stuff too, it was great as a carry on that I could later expand for my recent Alaska trip etc.

If you want to test a pop up (38) out I'm in college park area, let me know

Is the back of the pack rigid and has it own structure? Or does it hug the meat once you tightened it?

If you wanted to give the back of the pack some structure you could likely slide a piece of thin plastic inside the hydration pouch, but I've never felt a need for that. I'll be in Rockville for work Friday I think that's closer to you, can throw it in the truck and meet in the afternoon if you want.

If you wanted to give the back of the pack some structure you could likely slide a piece of thin plastic inside the hydration pouch, but I've never felt a need for that. I'll be in Rockville for work Friday I think that's closer to you, can throw it in the truck and meet in the afternoon if you want.
Thanks for the offer! Kids got most of my free time right now but appreciate it man.

So is the popup frame unique from MR guide lite frame? Say from other hallers like pintler and metcalf. Is the frame the star or the pack itself good too. I would consider other MR hallers and it seem the metcalf is great. Even if l dont need all that space.

Thanks for the offer! Kids got most of my free time right now but appreciate it man.

So is the popup frame unique from MR guide lite frame? Say from other hallers like pintler and metcalf. Is the frame the star or the pack itself good too. I would consider other MR hallers and it seem the metcalf is great. Even if l dont need all that space.

The frame.

Any bag will do.

Same with the frame, depending on your needs.

The frame works well for us because it’s narrow, light, and handle about all a whitetail hunter can throw at it. Some folks don’t like the belt particularly. There are other options you might like more. But the bag is just a bag.

Sounds good, I know the feeling and may not get back in the woods for a good while due to mine, but the offer stands if things change.

Frame is different, otherwise nothing to add to what @kyler1945 already replied

I picked up the Treehouse pack, and its pretty nice however I hate the hard shell aspect of the compartment. Like it has cardboard or stiffener inside the shell to keep the "square" shape to the bag.

I picked up the Treehouse pack, and its pretty nice however I hate the hard shell aspect of the compartment. Like it has cardboard or stiffener inside the shell to keep the "square" shape to the bag.
That was the main reason I avoided it, almost bought a used one from someone on here, I forget who it was

As other have said the frames unique. It's what allows it to essentially be a day pack until you need a frame pack. Then it carries a whitetail with ease.

Back