• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Muddy/Big Game platform

2Shea

Vendor Rep
Has anyone used the Muddy/Big Game Slimline Seat as a potential platform? It says it comes in right around 4 lbs and has a good size "seat" (platform) on it.

I have never saddle hunted before. BRAND NEW to the game. I must say I find myself thinking about it a lot and looking up more info about it daily, I am excited to try it out. My buddy flinginairos has me talked into trying it, so I have a sitdrag that he has modded up for me and I am ready to dive in. However the only thing I am missing is some type of platform to stand up top. I really like the DaveT1963 design but I hate to spend that amount of money on it without knowing if saddle hunting is for me. So I was just curious if anyone has tried the Slimline ($29) seat as a potential platform and what they thought of it? I figured I could add a versa button and maybe another V bracket up top to get some better grip on it. I know some of you think 4 lbs is 100 lbs but I'm not going to be using the saddle every hunt and walking 2 miles so the minimalist isn't necessary to me at this point yet. I will use it randomly here and there in new areas maybe during the rut to catch a buck in a certain spot, the rest of the year I will be using my treestands because I will already have them pre hung.

So with all that being said, what is everyone's opinion on that Muddy/Big Game Slimline seat??? Does it cam over like DaveT's design? Does it hold solid to the tree? Is it quiet? I'm gonna assume it won't work just because I haven't found any info on it but I wanted to ask around first. Give me all the details you can! Thanks guys for all the info on here.

Re: RE: Muddy/Big Game platform

sheaXPO said:
Has anyone used the Muddy/Big Game Slimline Seat as a potential platform? It says it comes in right around 4 lbs and has a good size "seat" (platform) on it.

I have never saddle hunted before. BRAND NEW to the game. I must say I find myself thinking about it a lot and looking up more info about it daily, I am excited to try it out. My buddy flinginairos has me talked into trying it, so I have a sitdrag that he has modded up for me and I am ready to dive in. However the only thing I am missing is some type of platform to stand up top. I really like the DaveT1963 design but I hate to spend that amount of money on it without knowing if saddle hunting is for me. So I was just curious if anyone has tried the Slimline ($29) seat as a potential platform and what they thought of it? I figured I could add a versa button and maybe another V bracket up top to get some better grip on it. I know some of you think 4 lbs is 100 lbs but I'm not going to be using the saddle every hunt and walking 2 miles so the minimalist isn't necessary to me at this point yet. I will use it randomly here and there in new areas maybe during the rut to catch a buck in a certain spot, the rest of the year I will be using my treestands because I will already have them pre hung.

So with all that being said, what is everyone's opinion on that Muddy/Big Game Slimline seat??? Does it cam over like DaveT's design? Does it hold solid to the tree? Is it quiet? I'm gonna assume it won't work just because I haven't found any info on it but I wanted to ask around first. Give me all the details you can! Thanks guys for all the info on here.
I haven't tried it, but it looks like it might not handle side to side pressure too well.
With that said, though, I had never even looked at it until I read your post.
So I just bought one off Amazon. It'll be here in a few days and I'll let you know how it works.

Shaun.

[/quote]
I haven't tried it, but it looks like it might not handle side to side pressure too well.
So I just bought one off Amazon. It'll be here in a few days and I'll let you know how it works.

Shaun.[/quote]

Awesome! I didn't think many guys had thought about it because I couldn't find any info about it used for saddles. I kinda figured the side to side would lack but just figured I'd ask. It's so cheap compared to other options that I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it out. I'm going to order one as well and start tinkering with it. Let me know how it works out for you and what all mods you make to it, I'll be curious to hear!

he modded my treesaddle also i just got it back from him a few weeks ago and he showed me how to use it.. i have gaffs so it was pretty easy to get started right away. we need to get a group hunt for us WV saddle hunters lol even if its just for some fat does!!

Shaun.[/quote]

Awesome! I didn't think many guys had thought about it because I couldn't find any info about it used for saddles. I kinda figured the side to side would lack but just figured I'd ask. It's so cheap compared to other options that I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it out. I'm going to order one as well and start tinkering with it. Let me know how it works out for you and what all mods you make to it, I'll be curious to hear![/quote]

I recEived my seat today and went about the business of testing it's worth as a platform.
I have to say I'm more impressed than I thought I'd be. Though the weak point is indeed what I thought it'd be.
I jumped, twisted, rotated and leaned in my sling while standing on this thing and eventually it did become unstable.
With that said, though, I think that the problem is the strap it came with.
And that is a problem that I can solve. ..
I'm going out of town this weekend -and next weekend if I can swing the 3d shoot down in Alabama (being poor sucks)- but I'm gonna try several options for strapping this seat securely. It actually worked pretty well but it was obvious from the moment I opened it that the strap it came with ed gonna have to go.
I might use an upper AND a lower cam buckle strap. Experiments to come.
Here's a few pics.
eefdd8fbddbc30a9b291da4e5d006cc4.jpg
44fffe7ed6e349bb6257919a35a5e762.jpg
9253cb7547b75663f711907d5584c6b7.jpg
515dac0a0f7586d144117078535803d8.jpg
c38eeb9c61445cbe9b1a9c7e6f9dc777.jpg
806b706de528a746c524a3e80de44a88.jpg
5e97ad6b89e0e43e9e22f66c18f2b2d4.jpg

Shaun.

I tried this platform with a ratchet strap and it worked great.
But I detest ratchet straps while hunting.
So next, I'm gonna try dual 1" cam buckle straps. I think they'll work just fine. Sometimes it's hard to get them tight enough, but I've managed it on my ameristep platforms for a while, so I'll be able to do it.
Gonna keep mind open for better way to tighten these straps though. Without noisily yanking or ratcheting.
Maybe I could just leave it at tight as I get it on the first try and then put weight on it to"seat it in"like with the muddy sticks. Then after seated in, add the second strap lower down closer to the seat portion to prevent it from kicking sideways. Trial and error

Shaun.

essdub said:
So next, I'm gonna try dual 1" cam buckle straps. I think they'll work just fine. Sometimes it's hard to get them tight enough, but I've managed it on my ameristep platforms for a while, so I'll be able to do it.
Gonna keep mind open for better way to tighten these straps though. Without noisily yanking or ratcheting.
Maybe I could just leave it at tight as I get it on the first try and then put weight on it to"seat it in"like with the muddy sticks. Then after seated in, add the second strap lower down closer to the seat portion to prevent it from kicking sideways. Trial and error

Shaun.

This is so awesome to hear!! I stopped at Gander Mtn today and they had the swivel seat but not that one. Guess I'm going to just order from Cabelas. I'm going to try the 1" cam buckles as well! I just happened to see this seat and think "hey that might work as a platform and it's cheap" I'm glad to hear it's potentially working good! Keep me updated and I'll keep you updated as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: RE: Re: Muddy/Big Game platform

sheaXPO said:
essdub said:

Shaun.

This is so awesome to hear!! I stopped at Gander Mtn today and they had the swivel seat but not that one. Guess I'm going to just order from Cabelas. I'm going to try the 1" cam buckles as well! I just happened to see this seat and think "hey that might work as a platform and it's cheap" I'm glad to hear it's potentially working good! Keep me updated and I'll keep you updated as well.

There's still some work to do before I'd consider using this come fall, but I think it'll be great once a few details are ironed out.
I'll probably remove the seat cushion, trim the platform a bit, make sure it's waterproof, and add cloth camo tape or Something to reduce the noise my boots will make while standing on it. And make sure it doesn't creak our squeak. But I think it's gonna be worth the effort. It'll be the least expensive(other than spurs or screw in steps) platform I have. I think it'll work out just fine.

Shaun.

Ok. this one still needs a little work. I put a ratchet strap up high on the stick and a cam buckle down low in several different positions.
The seat works great as long as you aren't rotated around and leaning way of to the side.
But even with the two straps, when I lean and rotate (like for a drop shot behind you off to the right), the bottom kicked out again.
I'm gonna have to tinker with this one.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1464734537266.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464734537266.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 265
  • uploadfromtaptalk1464734551095.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464734551095.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 265
  • uploadfromtaptalk1464734560902.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464734560902.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 262
  • uploadfromtaptalk1464734567223.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464734567223.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 263
  • uploadfromtaptalk1464734575493.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464734575493.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 263
  • uploadfromtaptalk1464734582315.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464734582315.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 266
I haven't gotten mine yet but was thinking of moving the seat toward the middle of the tubing and putting a strap above and below it

The first real mod to this seat is that I removed it from it's "stick"and placed it on a muddy climbing stick.
Result= much much better.
It's stable and comfortable to stand on no matter how far you're leaning in any direction.

Next mod= shorter stick and make platform less visible (removing lettering and adding camo).
Also, perhaps removing seat cushion and maybe even the entire seat to try out wider, less deep platform on this frame.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1464999689912.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464999689912.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 157
  • uploadfromtaptalk1464999705680.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464999705680.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 153
  • uploadfromtaptalk1464999714176.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464999714176.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 157
  • uploadfromtaptalk1464999719670.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464999719670.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 158
  • uploadfromtaptalk1464999724597.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464999724597.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 159
  • uploadfromtaptalk1464999729136.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464999729136.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 153
  • uploadfromtaptalk1464999734626.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464999734626.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 151
  • uploadfromtaptalk1464999739304.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464999739304.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 150
Ohh yea! I like that idea of moving it to another stick...we will have it fixed up right before season, I have a good feeling

Hi essdub,

Many thanks for these posts! I picked up one of the seats at Bass Pro shops maybe 6 months ago with the intention of using it as a platform, but simply putting it onto one of the Muddy Pros hadn't occurred to me. Great stuff!

Did you have some time to play around with the setup by now, and do you have any additional tips / insights regarding the design from that? I am fixing to have the hole drilled into my stick next week, so any additional info I could get before that would be great!

Again, thanks for sharing your ideas here!
JO

Re: RE: Re: Muddy/Big Game platform

JoMat said:
Hi essdub,

Many thanks for these posts! I picked up one of the seats at Bass Pro shops maybe 6 months ago with the intention of using it as a platform, but simply putting it onto one of the Muddy Pros hadn't occurred to me. Great stuff!

Did you have some time to play around with the setup by now, and do you have any additional tips / insights regarding the design from that? I am fixing to have the hole drilled into my stick next week, so any additional info I could get before that would be great!

Again, thanks for sharing your ideas here!
JO
I've been using it regularly, but the only thing I can say to help at this point is that I changed the location of my seat platform from the bottom step location to just below the top step location. I put the bottom step back on it. The reason I did that is because I can still use that stick to climb with (at least one more step) and that the top of the stick was getting in the way of my knees when I had the platform at the bottom.
I think that maybe 3/4 of the way up the stick would be the best compromise. And it is a compromise. The platform at the bottom is more stable and less likely to move around if you don't get the stick set really tight.
With the platform at the top, the bottom step is useful and the stick is out of the way, but if you don't get the stick set tight, it can"wiggle"on you. That will make noise and can cause you to flinch and move and make noise.
Other than that, it works awesome and was super easy to do (and cheap)

I've been using it regularly, but the only thing I can say to help at this point is that I changed the location of my seat platform from the bottom step location to just below the top step location. I put the bottom step back on it. The reason I did that is because I can still use that stick to climb with (at least one more step) and that the top of the stick was getting in the way of my knees when I had the platform at the bottom.
I think that maybe 3/4 of the way up the stick would be the best compromise. And it is a compromise. The platform at the bottom is more stable and less likely to move around if you don't get the stick set really tight.
With the platform at the top, the bottom step is useful and the stick is out of the way, but if you don't get the stick set tight, it can"wiggle"on you. That will make noise and can cause you to flinch and move and make noise.
Other than that, it works awesome and was super easy to do (and cheap)

Hi essdub,

Thanks for getting back to me and for the pointers!

This is really helpful because I think I will now go and use the 3/4 up point for the hole instead of 1/4 up. I had wondered about the additional height when considering where to attach the platform, but hadn't realized the issue with the top of the stick being in the way of my knees if the platform is further down.

Do you still use the rope the stick came with for attachment or did you change it to an OTC buckle or ratchet strap to get it tighter?

Many thanks,
Jo

Back