• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mushroom ID please

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
I found almost 50 morels just in my yard today. This is pretty early for these parts.
So I went on a walk to look in my hot spots.
I saw these shooms. What are they? Edible?

Attachments

• 20240408_115524_resized_1.jpg
    20240408_115524_resized_1.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 63
Kind of brain mushroomy. Idk, but I wouldn’t eat it.

50 morels though! Score!
The morels were the black ones and they were pretty small. A lot of them were borderline as to whether I wanted to pick them. There were a couple dozen more that were too small or just popping. It's literally 5 feet from my deck so I'll be keeping a close eye for more.
I usually don't get serious about finding morels around here for at least 2 more weeks but this early find has me chomping at the bit.
All my good spots produce blond morels. Not a one in those spots...yet!

The morels were the black ones and they were pretty small. A lot of them were borderline as to whether I wanted to pick them. There were a couple dozen more that were too small or just popping. It's literally 5 feet from my deck so I'll be keeping a close eye for more.
I usually don't get serious about finding morels around here for at least 2 more weeks but this early find has me chomping at the bit.
All my good spots produce blond morels. Not a one in those spots...yet!
Around here the black shrooms usually precede the blondes by about two weeks. Based on my scouting forays I think our black mushrooms are about two weeks out or so. However we're supposed to get a warm up and some rain the next few days, maybe it'll get them started.

Man, I love mushrooms but I am a scaredy cat when it come to harvesting wild mushrooms. I just have this fear of getting the wrong ones and making my family sick.
Maybe one day… enjoy guys.

They look like Elephant Ears to me, but don't take my word for it. They may make you see Pteradactyls in your Living Room.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I found almost 50 morels just in my yard today. This is pretty early for these parts.
So I went on a walk to look in my hot spots.
I saw these shooms. What are they? Edible?
Interestingly I just snapped a picture of what I think is the same mushroom today. I plan on asking some more experienced mushroom hunting friends what it is, I'll let you know what they say.

Screenshot_20240408_202151_Gallery.jpg

those are reds, (false morels) i ate a whole one myself the other day. they do make a few people sick to their stomach, if fried they are very good. just try a little bit at a time to find out if your sencetive to them.

There is an app you can download that you can take a picture of any mushroom and it will tell you what they are. Kinda like the tree identification app! Morels are wonderful though, enjoy!
What's the name of the app?

What's the name of the app?

Back