• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My new heliums

Steve

My new heliums came in today so I had to put some new paint on them, now I need to get some rope or amsteel to finish the mod.
eb32edfa17d581f1959b3ad07700998a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You could at least remove one step from bottom and middle to reduce weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I don't see the advantage of cutting them down and sacrificing height

4 Heliums cut down with even just an aider on the first two will get you just as high as 4 Heliums full length. And they are more packable.

Hell of a paint job btw

No I don't see the advantage of cutting them down and sacrificing height

Steve let me first say your paint job looks great. I would like to propose a question to you. Do you think if you cut your sticks down to let's say 20 in and had your Versa button 8 in from the top. Do you think you could climb higher with full length sticks with a versa button 8in from the top versus the 20-inch sticks? I would say no because you can only reach as high as the Versa button to hang the stick. The distance from the Versa button to the top of the stick Remains the Same so that becomes your maximum height you can get with one stick. The difference comes from the bottom of the stick that is removed which is made up with the aider of some sort. Therefore you're not sacrificing any height by cutting the stick you just have to span a larger gap between shorter sticks. You just end up with sticks that are lighter and much more user-friendly when it comes to packing them through the woods. Just something to think about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Steve let me first say your paint job looks great. I would like to propose a question to you. Do you think if you cut your sticks down to let's say 20 in and had your Versa button 8 in from the top. Do you think you could climb higher with full length sticks with a versa button 8in from the top versus the 20-inch sticks? I would say no because you can only reach as high as the Versa button to hang the stick. The distance from the Versa button to the top of the stick Remains the Same so that becomes your maximum height you can get with one stick. The difference comes from the bottom of the stick that is removed which is made up with the aider of some sort. Therefore you're not sacrificing any height by cutting the stick you just have to span a larger gap between shorter sticks. You just end up with sticks that are lighter and much more user-friendly when it comes to packing them through the woods. Just something to think about.

I looked into this when I first got my Hawk Heliums. The only benefit I found from cutting them down was the sticks being more packable. Yeah cutting them down does reduce some weight but it wasn’t enough to sacrifice the height. I ended up not cutting mine and adding step aiders and so far they work out great.

I’m sure others on here may or may not have the same experience. Not everyone will benefit from cutting down their climbing sticks

Here’s a few pics of the mods I did to my Heliums if you need any ideas for any more mods

7f64484e08fa717040eb5def3b78f129.jpg

Accessory loop for attaching to saddle while climbing

898a8df6e0cb03d4735d04df6450158b.jpg

Versa button with Amsteel Blue(been told it’s better to splice this vs using the knot)

8ac99f3cbebf3f86136d4625c5abae32.jpg

Gear tie at far end of rope with knot for more weight/momentum when throwing around the tree

a72f687d166cb3eed5e44b25c99de97e.jpg

Step aider made of 1” webbing and 550 cord(great YouTube vid on this by DIYsportsman)

c6f0875d6c14fb425da7c0d37bc8460c.jpg

Gear ties(blaze orange in case I drop one I can find it)

Hope this helps with any ideas. Of course these are customized to fit my needs. May or may not fit the needs of others

DATM

I looked into this when I first got my Hawk Heliums. The only benefit I found from cutting them down was the sticks being more packable. Yeah cutting them down does reduce some weight but it wasn’t enough to sacrifice the height. I ended up not cutting mine and adding step aiders and so far they work out great.

I’m sure others on here may or may not have the same experience. Not everyone will benefit from cutting down their climbing sticks

Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm not saying everybody should cut their sticks. I'm simply saying if your your attachment point for your rope or strap is the same distance from the top of the stick on a shorter stick versus a full length stick it is impossible to lose height.

Is that 1/4" amsteel
Here’s a few pics of the mods I did to my Heliums if you need any ideas for any more mods

Versa button with Amsteel Blue(been told it’s better to splice this vs using the knot)

Gear tie at far end of rope with knot for more weight/momentum when throwing around the tree

Step aider made of 1” webbing and 550 cord(great YouTube vid on this by DIYsportsman)

Hope this helps with any ideas. Of course these are customized to fit my needs. May or may not fit the needs of others

DATM

Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm not saying everybody should cut their sticks. I'm simply saying if your your attachment point for your rope or strap is the same distance from the top of the stick on a shorter stick versus a full length stick it is impossible to lose height.

Sounds good to me man. I decided not to cut my sticks because I can get even more height by not cutting them and then still adding the aider

How high are are you able to get with your four helium sticks and a single aider? Thinking of getting the same setup

Last edited:

DATM

That's the same thing I do but I slide 11" of static rope inside the webbing to keep it open for my foot to easily fit inside the aider

Just got my 3 straps and 3 versa buttons in from lonewolf today . I'm going to make my mods and camo the hilium sticks, already have aiders on them.

Back