• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My new platform

Zddog

acd02ff0b198f21f79a819a01b3b8414.jpg
bc624d87858b14cf9b1ee9aeb1db857b.jpg
4922ce612e87cbbcded62c50a01170e7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it was 19.99 based on the sticker on the package.

Wow thanks I will blame that on old eyes instead of just not looking. Thanks
Be great for presets. If someone steals it won’t break the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It appears zddog paid $19.99, but they're discontinued and no longer available. Also looks like it's only intended for use at ground level, and up to 250 lbs. Seems like that's a dicey proposition.

For what it's worth, I also bought a couple Big Game ladder stands to toss up for a buddy that will only hunt out of ladders. They've been serviceable......but nothing about them says quality. Won't catch me dead in one now that I have a saddle.

It appears zddog paid $19.99, but they're discontinued and no longer available. Also looks like it's only intended for use at ground level, and up to 250 lbs. Seems like that's a dicey proposition.

For what it's worth, I also bought a couple Big Game ladder stands to toss up for a buddy that will only hunt out of ladders. They've been serviceable......but nothing about them says quality. Won't catch me dead in one now that I have a saddle.

That sounded awful cheap.

As crazy as it sounds, that price actually seems pretty steep, considering the 18' two-man ladder stands I bought are on sale at the beginning of every season for around $100.

Not trying to poo-poo Zddog's platform, it may be something he feels comfy with. But after being in their ladder stands rated to 500 lbs, I sure wouldn't be comfortable standing on something of theirs rated to only 250 lbs, intended for ground level only at that.

As crazy as it sounds, that price actually seems pretty steep, considering the 18' two-man ladder stands I bought are on sale at the beginning of every season for around $100.

Not trying to poo-poo Zddog's platform, it may be something he feels comfy with. But after being in their ladder stands rated to 500 lbs, I sure wouldn't be comfortable standing on something of theirs rated to only 250 lbs, intended for ground level only at that.

Thanks for the reply my garage is full already.

6644c725ebb18a58b5516bca9f918313.jpg
52383c966ec7e16f5fb41bcb5083ac29.jpg
47efb7012e1ea3cb89f96c5eba8a0614.jpg

d6616dc683351be937f6a3f228918c02.jpg

I like all the feedback everyone. I bought that big game seat a while back and found it in an older hunting box. I’ve never used a platform or a ring of steps for saddle hunting. I’ve always used the top of my lone wolf (in the past) and now my muddy steps as my platform and it’s just so uncomfortable so I’m open to different opinions. I also have the Gorilla seat that’s heavier but much stronger than he big game seat.

I’m also looking at the wild edge steps, silent approach steps for a platform or the Tethrd platform. But I’m trying to sell some treestands right now to buy them (shameless plug lol).

One thing I will say is if i break a seat that is rated for 250 lbs I won’t live it down by my buddies and will definitely need to drop some LBS

6644c725ebb18a58b5516bca9f918313.jpg
52383c966ec7e16f5fb41bcb5083ac29.jpg
47efb7012e1ea3cb89f96c5eba8a0614.jpg

d6616dc683351be937f6a3f228918c02.jpg

I like all the feedback everyone. I bought that big game seat a while back and found it in an older hunting box. I’ve never used a platform or a ring of steps for saddle hunting. I’ve always used the top of my lone wolf (in the past) and now my muddy steps as my platform and it’s just so uncomfortable so I’m open to different opinions. I also have the Gorilla seat that’s heavier but much stronger than he big game seat.

I’m also looking at the wild edge steps, silent approach steps for a platform or the Tethrd platform. But I’m trying to sell some treestands right now to buy them (shameless plug lol).

One thing I will say is if i break a seat that is rated for 250 lbs I won’t live it down by my buddies and will definitely need to drop some LBS

I was doing some beer math for what I pack in during late season hunts, which made the 250 lb limit seem pretty scary. I'm 205, add boots 5 lbs, gun 10 lbs, another 15 lbs for gear, pack, and clothes.....I'm within 15 lbs of the limit. Yikes!!

Why not use the climber seat as a platform? If you're looking to offload that, I've been looking to pick one up.

Wow thanks I will blame that on old eyes instead of just not looking. Thanks
Be great for presets. If someone steals it won’t break the bank.

I would definitely use something like this for presets on trees I know I would hunt multiple times. Like you said if it got stolen oh well. It would be worth not having to carry extra crap in the woods especially on those days that I get off of work and just want to run in real quick and make a hunt for the last hour or so of daylight. I wouldn't worry about the weight rating as I would be tied off before I stepped on it. It's a shame they don't make them anymore. For $20 you can't hardly make something that cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I was doing some beer math for what I pack in during late season hunts, which made the 250 lb limit seem pretty scary. I'm 205, add boots 5 lbs, gun 10 lbs, another 15 lbs for gear, pack, and clothes.....I'm within 15 lbs of the limit. Yikes!!

Why not use the climber seat as a platform? If you're looking to offload that, I've been looking to pick one up.

You doing beer math is still more common sense than me without apparently because I didn’t think about the boots and extra weight for clothing.
I’ll have to test it out on the ground first. What I really want to buy for a platform is the Tethrd platform. Looks sweet.

Reason I don’t use a bottom lone wolf is one I don’t have one but I do think it would be easier than sticks and hang on platform but also where I live I couldn’t get up into every tree with the lone wolf climber platform and in my mind that’s the biggest benefit to saddle hunting. If you guys are able to get around a branch or tree limb let me know because I couldn’t think of a way to do it.

Reason I don’t use a bottom lone wolf is one I don’t have one but I do think it would be easier than sticks and hang on platform but also where I live I couldn’t get up into every tree with the lone wolf climber platform and in my mind that’s the biggest benefit to saddle hunting. If you guys are able to get around a branch or tree limb let me know because I couldn’t think of a way to do it.

Have not tried it yet but will this year is using an aider girth hitched on the tree to stand in while navigating around limbs.

Have not tried it yet but will this year is using an aider girth hitched on the tree to stand in while navigating around limbs.

How are you held up while moving your tether above a branch? Linesman? A second tether?

How are you held up while moving your tether above a branch? Linesman? A second tether?

Either or doesn’t matter but I will probably have a clone of my tether. It could work for either 8mm.
I ordered two SYS bags with the Mantis should be able to handle all the nick nacks I need.

Last edited:
Back