• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My new saddle DIY

Benny8

SH Member
Hey everyone. I recently made my wife and I a couple saddles. Hers was a pleated saddle and mine was a phantom clone. We recently tried them out at ground level and my wife really likes hers. I like mine ok, but I'm a chubby fella and I felt if I could get it to not hammock my hind end more, it might be more comfortable. So, I set out to make a saddle that utilizes a pc of plywood for the part under my keister. I saw a thread on here where someone had made one similiar to a JX3. Well, I purchased a pack frame off Sportsmans guide for $6.74. I scavenged some back pack straps off an old backpack. I purchased some 800lb tie downs and some parachute buckles(?). This is the mock up so far. Straps will go under the seat and up thru slots in the plywood. These will allow me to adjust with the tie down buckles. There will also be an adjustable strap that will go from the bridge buckles, around the back of the pack frame. We'll see how it works.saddle.jpg

If you are going that route, add an extension that goes between your legs out toward the tree, to keep your knees off the tree, similar to the JX3
No knee pads required then, and only a ROS for your feet.

If you are going that route, add an extension that goes between your legs out toward the tree, to keep your knees off the tree, similar to the JX3
No knee pads required then, and only a ROS for your feet.
Thank you JC3. I'm going to try it out this weekend and see if I need the extension.

I've got a couple of MOLLE packs and have thought about doing the same. Please keep us updated!

Putting the finishing touches on my saddle. Took some ideas from the JX3 but went with a smaller "seat" under my hind end. I like the Phantom Clone I made except for the bridge cutting into my gut and feeling like I was being folded into a taco. I used a half inch thick piece of oak plywood for my seat and the cargo straps make it so there is no pinch and tacoing. I added a couple pieces of EVA foam to the seat for comfort. I can lean with it and I can sit with it. Yesterday I worked on climbing up one stick high and attaching the platform. Very happy with the way it has turned out. Now hopefully I can utilize it with the wife and be more versatile.
jx3 1.jpgjx3 2.jpgjx3 3.jpg
jx3 4.jpg

I started on a similar concept a couple years ago, but have been lacking motivation to finish. Instead of wood, I used PVC for the seat and heated it up to form the side ends up. I also bought a foam cushion and some canvas to sew the cushion in, but I haven't gotten around to doing a final assembly. I epoxied in a nut to thread on some all thread rod with a fork welded on to be the adjustable hold off. I've done test fit ups but need to work out how to attach the molle frame. I also want to be able to flip the seat around and attach it backwards to make it a frame pack for hauling quarters out of the woods.

Do you have a link to where you purchased those parachute buckles?

I like the concept of the JX3, but don't like the size/width and weight of it.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I started on a similar concept a couple years ago, but have been lacking motivation to finish. Instead of wood, I used PVC for the seat and heated it up to form the side ends up. I also bought a foam cushion and some canvas to sew the cushion in, but I haven't gotten around to doing a final assembly. I epoxied in a nut to thread on some all thread rod with a fork welded on to be the adjustable hold off. I've done test fit ups but need to work out how to attach the molle frame. I also want to be able to flip the seat around and attach it backwards to make it a frame pack for hauling quarters out of the woods.

Do you have a link to where you purchased those parachute buckles?

I like the concept of the JX3, but don't like the size/width and weight of it.

This seat flips and can be attached to the Molle slots. The parachute buckles I found on Ebay.

Benny
Attach a piece of material to the bottom side of the seat, so it comes out between your legs.
Make it long enough, so that when the stick touches the tree, there is room for your legs.
It will eliminate the knee pads and platform, only need a ROS.
Then you we be very close to the JX3

This seat flips and can be attached to the Molle slots. The parachute buckles I found on Ebay.
Do you have a link for the buckles on ebay, or was it a one off sale part and not a stocked part at a store? When I search ebay, I can't find anything similar to what you have.

Benny
Attach a piece of material to the bottom side of the seat, so it comes out between your legs.
Make it long enough, so that when the stick touches the tree, there is room for your legs.
It will eliminate the knee pads and platform, only need a ROS.
Then you we be very close to the JX3
Thanks bud. My seat is really small compared to the JX3. I made it that way so I can stand and lean or sit with knee pads.

Do you have a link for the buckles on ebay, or was it a one off sale part and not a stocked part at a store? When I search ebay, I can't find anything similar to what you have.

try this link

Here's my concept. I need to figure out my straps, die the pvc green/brown/gray, sew the canvas to hold the cushion in place, and weld my fork onto the threaded rod.
d435c20b9d0a5ec67c28d78d0d000b33.jpg

What is the tan strap with the orange end doing on yours and where is it going to?

What is the tan strap with the orange end doing on yours and where is it going to?

Sureshot-the tan strap is my waist belt. The Orange strap is tubular webbing over another tan strap attached to a black 1.5" cargo strap that goes around the back of the molle frame. The orange strap folds over itself and is used with my linesman belt.

That really looks like it fits you well and allows for a wide range of movement.
Thanks Nosaj! It does allow quite a bit of motion. Not quite as much as my Phantom clone, but a lot more than a tree stand. Where you out of? I'm in Lempster.

Back