• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My one sticking and saddle hunting update after almost a full season.

muzzyman88

This might be redundant, or maybe no one cares.. haha. I thought I would give an update on a newbs perspective on one sticking out of a saddle, what I learned, and where I think i'm headed. I'm writing this in hopes that it spurs good suggestions/convo, and hopefully it helps someone else with one sticking or if they think they want to try it. I know many are either on the fence, or are naysayers to the technique for any number of reasons. I also want to start this by saying that i'm 43 years old, in decent shape, but I like cake too. I am not a monkey or a Cameron Hanes type guy.

I have had my complete one stick setup since about June of this year. This was the EWO one stick with UP platform, Ultimaider 3 step aider, Cruzr XC saddle, canyon ci-v rope with Delta link, Madrock Safeguard and I used the EWO pre made pull out dynaglide string to get it out of the tree.

Climbing

It takes a lot of practice and a lot of tweaking of method and aider step distance. I went back and forth all summer between two longer steps and three shorter steps. I ended up at 3, 12" steps for this season as it was easier for me as I learn to use this setup and trust all of it and most importantly, trust myself. One deviation from most is that I climb with my linemans belt attached. This makes climbing an aider far easier and allows me to pause on the aider to adjust my tether. But, I don't move my tether up the tree until I get onto the stick, I simply pull the slack through the safeguard as I move up the stick as I find that easier. Once on the stick and my linemans is snugged up, I then deal with the tether and move it up the tree. This does present some challenges. For one, I find my linemans above my tether once I get on the stick and have to fanangle the tether under my linemans rope. Not a huge deal and I feel safe doing this since my linemans is snugged up and i'm only a few inches off the tree. Once I get my tether above my head and snugged back up, I loosen the linemans and sit back into the saddle to seat the tether and make sure all of my weight is on my saddle and tether, then remove the linemans and make the next move.

I do find that I have to lower myself down into almost a squatting positing to be able to reach and comfortable pull the stick off the tree below me. I lose some height per move, but I find this way easier and more controlled for me.

The aider is another challenge. Its a weird thing to describe. the short steps are nice and easy to get up, especially with cold weather gear on. The first two steps are not difficult to get the arch of your foot securely into, with toe planted into the tree. However, the step closest to the stick starts getting tight with big, cold weather boots on. I find that on that step alone, if I jam my foot into it, then turn my foot sideway, planting the whole foot into the tree, I am super stable and can easily step up onto the stick with my other foot. The EWO stand offs are great, but on the one stick with the UP, you end up banging your shins into the platform a bit because the bottom step is sort of tucked up under the stick more. Again, with my linemans belt attached, It gives me the ability to lean back off the tree some to get up onto the stick.

Overall, climbing is a bit of a chore, but not crazy hard. Slow and steady is the name of the game.

Hunting off the One stick.

At height, once I'm settled into the saddle is pretty easy. I will say that even the UP is a bit small for my liking. Especially with big boots on. I also learned that tether height is extremely important for both comfort and maneuverability in the tree. My sweet spot is about neck heigh on my tether. But doing this, limits my ability some to get around the tree without adjusting the madrock at times. I have also had to shorten my bridge up quite a bit to give me some play room on the tether. This wasn't much of an issue until now, when I have cold weather gear on. I am now getting just a hint of hip discomfort.

Now this might be only my opinion, and I know some will disagree here. But I really think I am going to incorporate a ring of steps into this system. To me, moving around the tree and bracing yourself with a knee when a deer is close just seems ridiculous. I know it can be done, but I feel like having even two steps, at my 10 and 2 positions, will allow me to easily step on those as I move around, requiring less movement and goofy positions to get into for a shot. Again, the UP platform is just big enough, but not quite enough IMO. The steps will add some additional real estate and options.

Getting Down

Not much to say here. The madrock works flawlessly and I feel very comfortable getting out of the tree. Its easy and IMO, the safest way down. It didn't take me long to learn how to use the madrock correctly. Basically, hold the break side of the rope tight, open up the madrock slowly until its fully open and begins to move, then feather your speed with your brake hand as you descend. Easy as all get out. When you need to stop, clamp down with your brake hand to stop yourself, then release the lever on the madrock. The biggest issue I have is the bloody pull out dynaglide rope tangling. I do the figure 8 on your fingers routine but that F'n thing almost never comes apart without tangling. I am looking for something to wind it up on and have the ability to drop out without tangling all up.

Safety.

This is where I also differentiate from many in the one stick world. I block my madrock off at height in two ways. One, I throw a prussic above the madrock and clip that into my carabiner. If the safeguard fails, that prussic is going to catch me. Ive also incorporated another prussic below the madrock, clipped into my linemans loop and held taught. I absolutely trust the Madrock, but its a mechanical device and I have little faith in humanity.. lol. I have to backups here that will catch me if it decides to fail. Now, I am thinking about ditching the prussic below the madrock because of the one I already have above it. Its a redundant backup that isn't really warranted, but its easy enough to do and does not get in the way at all. I have decided to live my the arborist and climber adage of one is none and two is one montra.

My struggles

Cold weather clothing. I am trying to figure out how to climb and then add layers at height after I cool down. Right now, I'm working up quite a sweat getting up the tree with all my gear on, which I put on at the base of the tree before climbing. I wear and love my Sitka Fanatic jacket and figure out that if I put it on, then the saddle, I can buckle the waist belt inside the handwarmer pocket and that keeps the jacket nice and tidy, and allows me to go under my bridge loops into the handwarmer pocket perfectly. But practicing in the back yard with putting the jacket on after I am at height is proving to be near impossible. its just hard to tuck it all in when there is weight in the saddle.

Climbing on the aider is not hard, but it definitely makes you sweat more. At least me it does. Again, with cold gear on, everything is more difficult. Slowing way down is key to not end up a mess by the time you're at height. Even my cold weather boots, which are bulkier make a different in how I climb.

Setting my crap up in the tree is interesting too. I can't figure out where my backpack works best and is out of the way. Right now, I've settled on my 2 oclock, rather high so that it doesn't get int he way of my knees if I have to rotate to that side of the tree for a shot, but its a pita to get into there. I use the HYS strap. For my bow, I made a kydex hook that bolted to the bow and slips easily into one of the loops on the hys strap. I love this because it puts the bow about shoulder level for me and I can reposition the bow at any point to a different loop around the tree if needed.

Overall,

I really like one sticking but I'm not sold that I will continue to exclusively one stick. I won't give up on it and continue to perfect my craft in hopes that I iron out these couple of wrinkles I'm experiencing. The fact that my total pack weight, with everything on my back is 10lbs is a godsend for hiking a mile plus into public land. I also love being able to get as high as needed with no limitations but my rope. However, if I can't climb easier, I may end up going to multple sticks of some sort and a ring of steps and tiny platform on the top stick. I don't know yet. I think the added weight penalty of the sticks may be worth the easier climb. I still see me tethering in with my rappel rope and coming down that way, collecting my sticks as I go however. Sort of a hybrid approach.

Saddle hunting is definitely an awesome way to hunt, but I have to be honest here. I think using just a platform without any type of ring of steps is not nearly as affective. Being able to walk the tree with a ring of steps allows for much easier and stealthy movements to shoot 360 without having to do any type of goofy contorted, knees to the tree to brace yourself, etc. I can see this going sideways and making a noise, a slip, etc and spooking a deer, especially if your nerves are cranked up with a big buck under you. I found out the other day that on the UP, its difficult at best to keep up with a buck chasing a doe all around your stand with very little real estate to do it. At one point, if he would have ended up on the weak side of me, I most likely would have been screwed because seconds earlier he was on my strong side and I already setup, braced to the tree, for that shot. This is where the ring of steps would have been a thing of beauty.

Anyway. I hope that helps someone with one sticking and what challenges I see or how I solved certain parts.

Im finding that still using 1-2 full length sticks with my 18'' one stick gets me setup a bit quicker and with less moves and then just ''one stick'' the rest of the way if i even need to. Still use a rappel line as my tether. For the backpack, i use the tethred hys strap and then hang my pack a bit lower on the tag end. Keeps it out the way but still very accessible. For the pull rope, im using 3/16 rope and fig 8 wrap it...no tangles as of yet. I agree with the ROS combo but find this depends on tree diameter personally....mostly i am fine with just the scout platform on my stick.

I tried and hated the dynaglide on my retrieval rope it's a tangle machine. I just went back to standard 550 cord and figure 8 wrap.

When I climb on aiders I progress capture with my safeguard, making it a very similar move to SRT if you're familiar with that. Way easier than fighting gravity imo.

To clarify why im bringing a stick or 2 with my one stick, i found that one stickn a pine tree makes all the noise you could ever wish to make climbing a tree and some areas im in are majority pine so i inevitably end climbing in one....having more sticks just means options and isnt that much more heavy....on the opposite end ive carried 2 sticks to assist me and ended up picking a tree that was too wide for my lone wolf straps but easily one sticked up it as my amsteel rope was longer.

Great post!
Next year you will still be one-sticking and have your bugs worked out. My guess is, (not really a guess because I was where you are) you will have a little longer stick with a smaller platform, have your added steps with you, para-cord instead of Dynaglyde, and a bunch of other things you will figure out this year...

Like I said, "Great post"!

Screenshot_20220820-143915_Gallery.jpg

Great post!
Next year you will still be one-sticking and have your bugs worked out. My guess is, (not really a guess because I was where you are) you will have a little longer stick with a smaller platform, have your added steps with you, para-cord instead of Dynaglyde, and a bunch of other things you will figure out this year...

Like I said, "Great post"!

View attachment 75730

You showed me how you had your ROS strapped on your stick on a different thread and i tried it and had trouble keeping them like you have in this pic.....are they the bullman steps or squirrel steps?

I forgot to mention. If I stick with this setup next year, I will be ordering the ultimate lower step to replace the standard step on the One stick. I have a 13 boot and would welcome the extra room of the step, but most importantly, I want to push that aider further away from the tree to see if that helps me with getting more foot onto the aider on the top step.

This might be redundant, or maybe no one cares.. haha. I thought I would give an update on a newbs perspective on one sticking out of a saddle, what I learned, and where I think i'm headed. I'm writing this in hopes that it spurs good suggestions/convo, and hopefully it helps someone else with one sticking or if they think they want to try it. I know many are either on the fence, or are naysayers to the technique for any number of reasons. I also want to start this by saying that i'm 43 years old, in decent shape, but I like cake too. I am not a monkey or a Cameron Hanes type guy.

I have had my complete one stick setup since about June of this year. This was the EWO one stick with UP platform, Ultimaider 3 step aider, Cruzr XC saddle, canyon ci-v rope with Delta link, Madrock Safeguard and I used the EWO pre made pull out dynaglide string to get it out of the tree.

Climbing

It takes a lot of practice and a lot of tweaking of method and aider step distance. I went back and forth all summer between two longer steps and three shorter steps. I ended up at 3, 12" steps for this season as it was easier for me as I learn to use this setup and trust all of it and most importantly, trust myself. One deviation from most is that I climb with my linemans belt attached. This makes climbing an aider far easier and allows me to pause on the aider to adjust my tether. But, I don't move my tether up the tree until I get onto the stick, I simply pull the slack through the safeguard as I move up the stick as I find that easier. Once on the stick and my linemans is snugged up, I then deal with the tether and move it up the tree. This does present some challenges. For one, I find my linemans above my tether once I get on the stick and have to fanangle the tether under my linemans rope. Not a huge deal and I feel safe doing this since my linemans is snugged up and i'm only a few inches off the tree. Once I get my tether above my head and snugged back up, I loosen the linemans and sit back into the saddle to seat the tether and make sure all of my weight is on my saddle and tether, then remove the linemans and make the next move.

I do find that I have to lower myself down into almost a squatting positing to be able to reach and comfortable pull the stick off the tree below me. I lose some height per move, but I find this way easier and more controlled for me.

The aider is another challenge. Its a weird thing to describe. the short steps are nice and easy to get up, especially with cold weather gear on. The first two steps are not difficult to get the arch of your foot securely into, with toe planted into the tree. However, the step closest to the stick starts getting tight with big, cold weather boots on. I find that on that step alone, if I jam my foot into it, then turn my foot sideway, planting the whole foot into the tree, I am super stable and can easily step up onto the stick with my other foot. The EWO stand offs are great, but on the one stick with the UP, you end up banging your shins into the platform a bit because the bottom step is sort of tucked up under the stick more. Again, with my linemans belt attached, It gives me the ability to lean back off the tree some to get up onto the stick.

Overall, climbing is a bit of a chore, but not crazy hard. Slow and steady is the name of the game.

Hunting off the One stick.

At height, once I'm settled into the saddle is pretty easy. I will say that even the UP is a bit small for my liking. Especially with big boots on. I also learned that tether height is extremely important for both comfort and maneuverability in the tree. My sweet spot is about neck heigh on my tether. But doing this, limits my ability some to get around the tree without adjusting the madrock at times. I have also had to shorten my bridge up quite a bit to give me some play room on the tether. This wasn't much of an issue until now, when I have cold weather gear on. I am now getting just a hint of hip discomfort.

Now this might be only my opinion, and I know some will disagree here. But I really think I am going to incorporate a ring of steps into this system. To me, moving around the tree and bracing yourself with a knee when a deer is close just seems ridiculous. I know it can be done, but I feel like having even two steps, at my 10 and 2 positions, will allow me to easily step on those as I move around, requiring less movement and goofy positions to get into for a shot. Again, the UP platform is just big enough, but not quite enough IMO. The steps will add some additional real estate and options.

Getting Down

Not much to say here. The madrock works flawlessly and I feel very comfortable getting out of the tree. Its easy and IMO, the safest way down. It didn't take me long to learn how to use the madrock correctly. Basically, hold the break side of the rope tight, open up the madrock slowly until its fully open and begins to move, then feather your speed with your brake hand as you descend. Easy as all get out. When you need to stop, clamp down with your brake hand to stop yourself, then release the lever on the madrock. The biggest issue I have is the bloody pull out dynaglide rope tangling. I do the figure 8 on your fingers routine but that F'n thing almost never comes apart without tangling. I am looking for something to wind it up on and have the ability to drop out without tangling all up.

Safety.

This is where I also differentiate from many in the one stick world. I block my madrock off at height in two ways. One, I throw a prussic above the madrock and clip that into my carabiner. If the safeguard fails, that prussic is going to catch me. Ive also incorporated another prussic below the madrock, clipped into my linemans loop and held taught. I absolutely trust the Madrock, but its a mechanical device and I have little faith in humanity.. lol. I have to backups here that will catch me if it decides to fail. Now, I am thinking about ditching the prussic below the madrock because of the one I already have above it. Its a redundant backup that isn't really warranted, but its easy enough to do and does not get in the way at all. I have decided to live my the arborist and climber adage of one is none and two is one montra.

My struggles

Cold weather clothing. I am trying to figure out how to climb and then add layers at height after I cool down. Right now, I'm working up quite a sweat getting up the tree with all my gear on, which I put on at the base of the tree before climbing. I wear and love my Sitka Fanatic jacket and figure out that if I put it on, then the saddle, I can buckle the waist belt inside the handwarmer pocket and that keeps the jacket nice and tidy, and allows me to go under my bridge loops into the handwarmer pocket perfectly. But practicing in the back yard with putting the jacket on after I am at height is proving to be near impossible. its just hard to tuck it all in when there is weight in the saddle.

Climbing on the aider is not hard, but it definitely makes you sweat more. At least me it does. Again, with cold gear on, everything is more difficult. Slowing way down is key to not end up a mess by the time you're at height. Even my cold weather boots, which are bulkier make a different in how I climb.

Setting my crap up in the tree is interesting too. I can't figure out where my backpack works best and is out of the way. Right now, I've settled on my 2 oclock, rather high so that it doesn't get int he way of my knees if I have to rotate to that side of the tree for a shot, but its a pita to get into there. I use the HYS strap. For my bow, I made a kydex hook that bolted to the bow and slips easily into one of the loops on the hys strap. I love this because it puts the bow about shoulder level for me and I can reposition the bow at any point to a different loop around the tree if needed.

Overall,

I really like one sticking but I'm not sold that I will continue to exclusively one stick. I won't give up on it and continue to perfect my craft in hopes that I iron out these couple of wrinkles I'm experiencing. The fact that my total pack weight, with everything on my back is 10lbs is a godsend for hiking a mile plus into public land. I also love being able to get as high as needed with no limitations but my rope. However, if I can't climb easier, I may end up going to multple sticks of some sort and a ring of steps and tiny platform on the top stick. I don't know yet. I think the added weight penalty of the sticks may be worth the easier climb. I still see me tethering in with my rappel rope and coming down that way, collecting my sticks as I go however. Sort of a hybrid approach.

Saddle hunting is definitely an awesome way to hunt, but I have to be honest here. I think using just a platform without any type of ring of steps is not nearly as affective. Being able to walk the tree with a ring of steps allows for much easier and stealthy movements to shoot 360 without having to do any type of goofy contorted, knees to the tree to brace yourself, etc. I can see this going sideways and making a noise, a slip, etc and spooking a deer, especially if your nerves are cranked up with a big buck under you. I found out the other day that on the UP, its difficult at best to keep up with a buck chasing a doe all around your stand with very little real estate to do it. At one point, if he would have ended up on the weak side of me, I most likely would have been screwed because seconds earlier he was on my strong side and I already setup, braced to the tree, for that shot. This is where the ring of steps would have been a thing of beauty.

Anyway. I hope that helps someone with one sticking and what challenges I see or how I solved certain parts.
You sure have worked hard at what your doing. I think you got it. Just keep working at it. I try to keep learning and improving. Just as you do. Good luck
!

Whatever your system is just practice, practice, practice all off-season. I started with 4 sticks. Didn't like the weight and everything dangling on my saddle going up the tree. I'm a less bulk the better kind of guy. I then went to one sticking up and down until I got a rappel set up. My body type lends very well to one sticking, in good shape ,slender,long arms and legs. To go to any hight with a mini stick and 3 step aider I just can't see myself ever going back as long as my health holds up. The bulk factor and weight savings is huge for me when going on what I call a scout/hunt and don't know where I'll end up setting up.

You sure have worked hard at what your doing. I think you got it. Just keep working at it. I try to keep learning and improving. Just as you do. Good luck
!

Thanks buddy. I'm pretty fanatical and hardcore about my setups, even when I was in a climber or hang on. I always looked for ways to make things easier or more efficient. My whole view on any kind of setup is simple, safe and easy so I look at every aspect of my gear.

I've learned a lot this year already. Biggest is... gravity does its thing... roll with it... lmao. I went for a helluva swing around the tree rappelling one evening and laughed my butt off the whole time. But, that moment really solidified how solid and safe my gear is and that I'm doing it right.

The biggest issue I have is the bloody pull out dynaglide rope tangling. I do the figure 8 on your fingers routine but that F'n thing almost never comes apart without tangling. I am looking for something to wind it up on and have the ability to drop out without tangling all up.

I swear, this is my biggest PITA. I started with 550 cord, then pulled the guts out, then ordered the Dynaglide setup from EWO. All in all, I like the dynaglide best and it works great to pull my rappel rope down as it doesn't stretch at all. I found the figure 8 to work decently well and this other method I found on YouTube. Still though, if I don't ensure there's no twist in it, it all goes to hell when I deploy it. I have found that after my hunt I quickly secure everything just to get outta the woods but before I go back out, I repack everything and ensure my retrieval rope is wrapped the right way. It has helped but damnit if this didn't make me laugh...the struggle is definitely real with this.

Regarding the pain of untangling and winding up a pull-down rope (either dynaglide or 550) - try using a Doyle’s Hoist instead. I 1-stick and rap down. On the way up, I attach my Doyle’s Hoist to my bow and use it to pull it up. On the way down, I lower my bow with my rap rope and then attach my hoist to my rap rope behind my delta link and use it as my pull down rope when I’m on the ground. Works great and automatically winds back up. Just have to wrap up my rap rope and stuff it in a pouch to leave.

retrieval rope tangle free at :50. I was doing figure eights before, but as soon as I did it just like him I never had tangles. Maybe laying your carabiner in the palm of your hand is the key. Whatever it is it works.

Regarding the pain of untangling and winding up a pull-down rope (either dynaglide or 550) - try using a Doyle’s Hoist instead. I 1-stick and rap down. On the way up, I attach my Doyle’s Hoist to my bow and use it to pull it up. On the way down, I lower my bow with my rap rope and then attach my hoist to my rap rope behind my delta link and use it as my pull down rope when I’m on the ground. Works great and automatically winds back up. Just have to wrap up my rap rope and stuff it in a pouch to leave.
^^^^This is what I do. Except I have found that it works better to attach the Doyle's to the rappel rope via a carabiner as the rope slides easier through a biner for the pull down.
As for the rest, it sounds like you are on the path to what works for you.
I backup with a butterfly knot and use a "happy hands" hitch (thanks @Brocky) with the safeguard for rappel.
2-3 steps on an OCB have been my go-to with my scout to get around the tree and for additional feet positions to stay comfortable.
Like you I have found that I will and still use multiple sticks occasionally. Sometimes it's easier or faster, and sometimes it just works better in some of the trees I have (lots of vines and scrub limbs).

I stopped figure-8 coiling my pulldown throwline... got so frustrated working out tangles that I stopped at HF on the way home, bought a dog leash, and coiled all 40 feet onto a 24' leash. I'm actually quite happy with it; it carries in a MOLLE canteen pouch with the working end fed through a grommet in the bottom. I might put a second leash on my other hip.

Back