• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mystery Ranch 2 Day Assault: almost perfect for my needs, but need DIY help with waist band

raisins

SH Member

This pack would be great for my current needs (love all the MOLLE and Mystery Ranch adjustable yoke), except I know that bare webbing waist belt is going to dig into my sides if I'm not wearing many layers and I am carrying a decent load any distance. Has anyone had this pack or one with similar waist belt and was the waist band that bad?

Anyone add padding to a bare webbing waist belt before?

Starting to read here

One link mentioned padded seat belt covers. I emailed Mystery Ranch asking for the width of that webbing belt so I can start the MacGyver-ing process. Body glove makes neoprene seat belt covers. Those would be waterproof, add padding, and if they are bare neoprene would likely grip my clothing and keep the waist belt from slipping down. I don't know how hard sewing neoprene by hand is (afraid the thread will pull through) but I might be able to get non-coated (no cloth covering) neoprene of good thickness and just make some sleeves that slide on.

Any experience or ideas are welcomed.

Thanks!

Yes I had this pack, I never loaded it up much so I can’t comment on the waist belt, all I remember is it being the loudest pack I ever owned, that is why I sold it, it was super rugged and super loud, like opening a bag of Doritos loud, I’ve owned 3 mystery ranch packs, the 2 Day Assault was the loudest, the Pop Up was kind of in the middle for noise, and my Scree 32 has been the most quiet of my Mystery Ranch packs, I’ve had, I believe you have one already (Scree) as well, I remember before I bought mine you commenting on it, I actually just loaded up my Scree with work stuff for the winter, I’ll find out how tough it is real soon it’s going to get pounded on logging this winter, I’m done with it for hunting hence the conversion to work duty.

I think that pack had a sleeve in it for an Ipad or something that a Predator platform fit perfectly in if I remember right

Yes I had this pack, I never loaded it up much so I can’t comment on the waist belt, all I remember is it being the loudest pack I ever owned, that is why I sold it, it was super rugged and super loud, like opening a bag of Doritos loud, I’ve owned 3 mystery ranch packs, the 2 Day Assault was the loudest, the Pop Up was kind of in the middle for noise, and my Scree 32 has been the most quiet of my Mystery Ranch packs, I’ve had, I believe you have one already (Scree) as well, I remember before I bought mine you commenting on it, I actually just loaded up my Scree with work stuff for the winter, I’ll find out how tough it is real soon it’s going to get pounded on logging this winter, I’m done with it for hunting hence the conversion to work duty.

now you're wanting me to make the scree work!

actually, i'd consider marking up everywhere i want webbing and then paying someone to put it on.....

you get that brown color too? did you cut the metal zipper pull tabs off?

i'm surprised it isn't more popular around here......great pack

PS....wow, i can see an extra thick pack being a little louder....but i wouldn't expect that out of a military pack.....i wouldn't take it on any missions where you had to be sneaky and someone might hear you.....i've never been in the military so i'm just going off hunting/movies/documentaries

Lizard green and yes I cut something off exactly like you told me that’s all I remember lmao.

The best small pack I have ever owned is my Kifaru Door Gunner, that thing is a little beast, I added their extra belt too, EDC omni belt or something don’t quote me on that I’m not positive whatever little padded belt they sell, I beat on that thing all season and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it, none of my Kifaru stuff is quiet either, I’ve given up on finding a quiet bomber pack, I will say though that 2 Day Assault was the loudest I ever owned, maybe if it got broke in more or wet a few times it would have softened up I have no idea, as it was I couldn’t take it.

The best small pack I have ever owned is my Kifaru Door Gunner, that thing is a little beast, I added their extra belt too, EDC omni belt or something don’t quote me on that I’m not positive whatever little padded belt they sell, I beat on that thing all season and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it, none of my Kifaru stuff is quiet either, I’ve given up on finding a quiet bomber pack, I will say though that 2 Day Assault was the loudest I ever owned, maybe if it got broke in more or wet a few times it would have softened up I have no idea, as it was I couldn’t take it.

I probably shouldn't be as hung up on getting another Mystery Ranch. I just like their adjustable yoke/torso system so much. Makes your pack fit perfectly. Most medium sized internal frame packs don't have this feature.

Gonna check out Kifaru now.

I probably shouldn't be as hung up on getting another Mystery Ranch. I just like their adjustable yoke/torso system so much. Makes your pack fit perfectly. Most medium sized internal frame packs don't have this feature.

Gonna check out Kifaru now.
I agree, I’m almost 6’1” with a long torso and that’s always been my problem with packs, when I bought that Door Gunner I thought for sure it wouldn’t fit me, it looked small, short, and I assumed it would be in the classifieds fast, I was wrong it’s awesome, all my packs I bought from Kifaru are awesome, the price absolutely sucks, I won’t brag something up because I paid a ton for it, that’s not my style, I wish they were more affordable, all I can say is after owning 3 of them none are for sale and I’ve quit looking at new packs, it’s a good feeling.

Based on the Mystery ranch video of the pack, the waist belt is removable…send it to CGM to sew on padding, MOLLE, whatever else you can think of!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have this pack and really like it. I agree though the waist belt is lacking compared to other MR packs and I was afraid it wouldn’t be comfortable. My pack weighs 25 lbs fully loaded and I don’t notice the belt at all. It carries well in that range. I think you could comfortably get away with 35-40 lbs but anymore then that and I would pick a different pack altogether. It may not be worth messing with the belt depending on your needs. I don’t find it overly noisy, its not fleece but the bag design allows you to unzip it in the tree when you set up and you can reach down into the internal pockets. That bag on a pop up frame would be the ultimate do it all pack for me.

I have this pack and really like it. I agree though the waist belt is lacking compared to other MR packs and I was afraid it wouldn’t be comfortable. My pack weighs 25 lbs fully loaded and I don’t notice the belt at all. It carries well in that range. I think you could comfortably get away with 35-40 lbs but anymore then that and I would pick a different pack altogether. It may not be worth messing with the belt depending on your needs. I don’t find it overly noisy, its not fleece but the bag design allows you to unzip it in the tree when you set up and you can reach down into the internal pockets. That bag on a pop up frame would be the ultimate do it all pack for me.

So, you don't find it louder than similar bags made of the thick-ish nylon fabric (or whatever decent bags are made out of these days)?

Maybe there are multiple generations.

I could always check our MR's return policy, buy it, and return with tags on if loud inside.

So, you don't find it louder than similar bags made of the thick-ish nylon fabric (or whatever decent bags are made out of these days)?

Maybe there are multiple generations.

I could always check our MR's return policy, buy it, and return with tags on if loud inside.

I think it’s on par with other cordura bags, it’s not whisper quiet but in my opinion it’s not an issue for me. Believe it or not it does break in a little with use. I set my bag in the tree and after getting set up I only reach in it once or twice. I also put some zipper wax on the zippers which really quieted then down. I used to take a metcalf up in the tree with me. Same material but that bag was louder because you had to reach all the way down into it to get anything. The 2 day assault filets open so you can grab stuff easily. This bag isn’t perfect but it’s worked well for me so far. Now a fleece version with a small load shelf… take my money.

I think it’s on par with other cordura bags, it’s not whisper quiet but in my opinion it’s not an issue for me. Believe it or not it does break in a little with use. I set my bag in the tree and after getting set up I only reach in it once or twice. I also put some zipper wax on the zippers which really quieted then down. I used to take a metcalf up in the tree with me. Same material but that bag was louder because you had to reach all the way down into it to get anything. The 2 day assault filets open so you can grab stuff easily. This bag isn’t perfect but it’s worked well for me so far. Now a fleece version with a small load shelf… take my money.

i had no idea they made zipper wax!

can you recommend a brand?

The kind I have is called Zip Tech, it came with some waders I bought. To be honest bow string wax would probably work fine too.

Back