• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New from South Louisiana

JakefmLa

First time using a saddle. Got a Trophyline covert. Using hawk sticks at the moment.

Haven’t hunted out of it yet but plan to do so this weekend. Switched from a 16 year old ol man climber to a hang on that was super heavy and now hopefully this is going to get me as mobile as I want to be.

So much to learn. Next purchase will be a platform

Youre going to love it. I will not hunt any other way if i have my choice. Im live in Louisiana too. Not a lot of saddle hunters down here yet but it will catch on more and more. I am 49 years old and 240 lbs but still get set up and hunt with in 15 mins of standing at the base of the tree and I am slow. It did take me about 6 or 7 hunts to work out my system however, but once i did, I fell in love with. Best of luck to you bro.

We hunt some of the same area. I don’t deer hunt on the refuges, only squirrels or ducks. I do deer hunt close to and on adjoining land to the Tensas. Just curious but why don’t you hunt the Big Lake WMA ?

Welcome from Prairieville Louisiana! I hunt mostly in Madison parish. Where in south La are you located?
I’m in Greenwell Springs area. I want to make a trip out to Tensas. Went to Richard K Yamcey a few times last year with my climber and did not enjoy it at all. I usually make a trip to Kisatche a few times a season.

Definitely know that area, I lived in Central until I was a teenager. The weight and mobility of the saddle will be more convenient to hunt the swampy WMA in the Delta. We can talk about Tensas NWR, maybe I could give you some ideas to start. Have you considered the Cat Island NWR in St. Francisville! It is supposed to be open this season. That area should be fresh. The river elevation and road washouts have had it shut down for a couple of years.

Yeah I have some friends that hunt Cat Island its definitely on my radar. This year I should have more time to spend in the woods. Seems like the past few years our busy season kicks up around hunting season.

Just now getting into saddles, been studying them for a while. I saw a guy had a teach and train at the Waddill Refuge this past May I wish I would have known about it. Definitely would have went to it.

I was supposed go to the Waddill meet but forgot all about it. There are a couple of saddle hunters in Prairieville, BR and Walker that talk regularly. One of us may be able to help if there is something you want to see or if you have a question ?

Welcome from Northern Virginia. If you hunt public or move around private a lot there’s no better way to hunt IMO. So many options and ways to customize. And if you’re a chronic fiddler you’re in good company. It also helps if you’re independently wealthy

I was supposed go to the Waddill meet but forgot all about it. There are a couple of saddle hunters in Prairieville, BR and Walker that talk regularly. One of us may be able to help if there is something you want to see or if you have a question ?
I should have some time to sit in it this weekend. After that I’ll probably have a few questions. My first sit it kept riding up but I’m pretty sure I have my tether too high. Still having prussics on both my tether and bridge seemed like I had to put the tether high otherwise my bridge was too short.
One suggestion I got was to do another wrap on the prussics to make them shorter.

Seems like there are a few guys within a couple hours of each other to try and set up a meet and greet and share some hands on knowledge. By no means am I a pro but would be willing to share what I’ve learned and hopefully learn from some of you. I have a few different things that I’ve tried over the past few years and lately been on the one stick method. The angled platform from EWO is so much better on my feet. I live a little over an hour south of Baton Rouge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back