• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New guy from East TN

Black Titan

Howdy folks,

Just joined in hopes to learn all I can about saddle hunting and to be as safe as I can. Currently trying go get over a little fear of heights but I'm working through it.

I have just got my XOP Mondo, which is a newer and upgraded version of the Renegade as I understand it. Seems good so far I just have to learn to adjust my bridge and tether and learn how to sit. I can lean pretty comfortably but sitting is a bit more difficult without being pinched. I'm also a bigger guy, at 6'1" 275 lbs.

Got the XOP x2 sticks and the XOP Edge platform as well. Sticks are super light, at least to me, the straps not so much. I'm going to try and learn 1 sticking with 1 stick, and a platform.

So being the kind of person I am, who can't leave anything alone, I've headed down the road of mods. Been in touch with the guys over at Eastern Woods Outdoors, who helped me get setup with a rapelling kit including mad rock safeguard, canyon camo elite rope, and the other goodies.

I've also ordered a zook 2.0 linemans belt with ropeman 1, a predator tether that I plan to use as an adjustable bridge, and the amsteel guy whoopi openable bridge. I hope to use the amsteel as a redundant bridge attached to a Cornell hitch above the madrock.

And lastly I've ordered the cam cleat and amsteel one stick rope to turn one of my sticks into a "one stick" stick. Eventually I'll look at changing the top step into more of a platform step but for now I'll be using the edge platform and hope to find a way to put the stick off to the side to aid in getting around the tree. Found out last night the platform doesn't like if you stand off to the side of it.

Anyways, hope to learn alot and bounce some ideas off folks and get some critiques on my system and planned system.

BT

Welcome from West Michigan! Sounds like you're of to a great start!

I had an edge and thought it was great, but heavy. Have you heard of toe hooking to set a platform? Basically set it, stand on it. Then un cam it, stand on the post and can it again with the other foot. Super tight

Welcome from West Michigan! Sounds like you're of to a great start!

I had an edge and thought it was great, but heavy. Have you heard of toe hooking to set a platform? Basically set it, stand on it. Then un cam it, stand on the post and can it again with the other foot. Super tight

Yes it is certainly heavy! I went with it mainly for the size, as I wear a size 12 boot, and also the weight rating. Seems most others I was looking at were only rated to either 250 or 300 pounds or were small. I don't like taking things to 90% of their max rating. Just doesn't feel safe.

I didn't want to spend a whole lot on getting started, incase I don't like it, hence the XOP stuff. I'll likely upgrade as I go to better gear if I end up loving it. So far, so good. Ive gone up two sticks, with a stick length distance between the two, and it was much smoother and faster than going the same distance with my climber, a summit goliath. I'm using the climber as well, but like the saddle for longer hikes in on public land and getting in different trees where the climber isn't feasible.

I also have a 3 step aider on the way to help with the one sticking. Figured I'd try 3, and if that doesn't work I can just use the tip two steps or cut the bottom one off for a 2 step aider.

And no, haven't heard about toe hooking. I'll give that a go next time I'm out there. I'd love to be able to side-load ( I think that's the term?) The platform for more shooting angles.

BT

Yes it is certainly heavy! I went with it mainly for the size, as I wear a size 12 boot, and also the weight rating. Seems most others I was looking at were only rated to either 250 or 300 pounds or were small. I don't like taking things to 90% of their max rating. Just doesn't feel safe.

I didn't want to spend a whole lot on getting started, incase I don't like it, hence the XOP stuff. I'll likely upgrade as I go to better gear if I end up loving it. So far, so good. Ive gone up two sticks, with a stick length distance between the two, and it was much smoother and faster than going the same distance with my climber, a summit goliath. I'm using the climber as well, but like the saddle for longer hikes in on public land and getting in different trees where the climber isn't feasible.

I also have a 3 step aider on the way to help with the one sticking. Figured I'd try 3, and if that doesn't work I can just use the tip two steps or cut the bottom one off for a 2 step aider.

And no, haven't heard about toe hooking. I'll give that a go next time I'm out there. I'd love to be able to side-load ( I think that's the term?) The platform for more shooting angles.

BT
You're on the right track! I probably gave a poor description of toe hooking but I'm sure YouTube will explain it better lol. - also yes it's side load/side pressure. One thing a lot of guys do is put the top stick and platform level but spaced around the tree, to help move around. A ring of steps is another option. I personally just rotate in my saddle to shoot behind me though, actually probably my favorite position to shoot from.

Good call on the 3 step aider, I'm a 3 step guy myself. I would wait to cut it down to to steps until you've tried it in bulky clothes / colder weather, it's just harder to reach in those conditions

Welcome from East Alabama! This is a great place to learn. Use the search box to help find topics and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Last recommendation, keep it simple, take your time, learn your equipment and be safe as you learn.

Where ya at in East TN? Morenthan welcomento come by the CGM shop in Powell and try on just about every manufacturers saddle!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I'm out in Harriman. I've heard of you guys. I need to make a trip out there and see what you got once I find out if I'm going to like this or not.

BT

Welcome from Michigan! Best of luck this season. Glad to hear your taking it slow and safe. Remember you don't have to hunt 30' in the air if you don't like heights.

I'm out in Harriman. I've heard of you guys. I need to make a trip out there and see what you got once I find out if I'm going to like this or not.

BT
psshhh Harriman may as well be west Tennessee.... IM in REAL East Tennessee up here in Johnson City...

jk man welcome to the forum

Welcome from Texas. The ropeman1 and madrock are two of my favorite pieces of equipment, good choices. Good luck this season

Back