• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Guy / Hawk Saddle Review

JBDCPA

Thanks for allowing me in first off. I tried about a year ago and since my last name is the same as the author Charles BLANK that wrote A Christmas Carol and Great Expectations the system hiccuped and my last name was apparently flagged as a banned word. My last name was in my username and email. I’m a bow hunter and a CPA from middle TN.

When I first tried to get into saddle hunting the iron was HOT and everything was back ordered and everything for sale privately was sniped before I could even click on it. LOL! Not being known for my patience I ordered from a well known company and prepared to wait. Shortly after ordering I happened to be in Sportsman’s Warehouse and they had the complete Hawk shebang. Didn’t know Hawk was in the game at the time so I looked on my phone for reviews and other vendors showed up with STEEP markdowns. So I showed those to Sportsman’s Warehouse and they price matched. I’d also been given a $100 gift card and couldn’t find anything to buy and had some points built up to boot. So, I had a whole setup to bridge the gap until my other arrived. When the other arrived it was a quick sell and I made a mistake doing that but that’s another story.

So here is my take on a year of hunting out of the Hawk setup. First off it’s pretty well known and I concur that the ropes and ascender that come with are throw away. I tried that ascender a foot off the ground in the back lawn once and it gave me the willys and I have absolutely no fear of heights. I already had a quality lineman’s rope, Ropeman 1 and a good tether from hanging sticks with a LW Alpha and a good climber stand. So basically this will be a review of the saddle itself and the platform.

First off the platform - I’m just under 6’ and weigh in at 230# - the platform hasn’t given me any trouble. It says not to use on trees less than 9” and I haven’t. Where I hunt that hasn’t even been an issue to be honest not many small trees anyway. I haven’t had any kick outs of any kind after properly camming it over. None of my welds even look suspect and I haven’t had any slippage with with wet rubber soled boots. The little plastic backing plate that I see so many have split, break or come off just has a little indention in the shape of the nut head but really no factor there. So I’d have to say the platform has served its purpose for me without issue. When it’s not deadline time I might do three all day sits a week on it. I see on YT a LOT of people like their platform angled downward slightly to ease their ankles. I do not, I like mine straight out to ever so slightly up a smidge and I wonder if my way puts less stress on the plastic backing plate and more pressure on the teeth in the tree. That’s just my layman’s hypothesis so I could be wrong.

Now to the saddle - I have a love hate relationship with the saddle. Has it failed in any way or give me the creeps, no. The ergonomics and comfort factor screams of a marketing guy at Hawk telling the Board, “These saddles are HOT right now we gotta throw something together and get a share of that market.” I may be 230# but I’m a gym rat and only have a 32” waist and it doesn’t give me a problem with hip pinch but somehow the shape doesn’t “cup” well on the rear end. It doesn’t matter how tight or loose the waist belt is or whether you put it above or below your belt line, that saddle is settling in one spot on your rear end and it’s not an optimal spot for me.

The bridge is my biggest gripe. I know I could DIY or buy aftermarket adjustable bridge but I’m not putting any more money in this saddle to just be honest. I haven’t measure exactly what the bridge measures out to but it’s not the right length for me. Everyone is built different and from borrowing a buddy’s saddle I have come to find that I really enjoy the tether at about belly height, my prussik all the way snug to the tether with a fairly short bridge length and just lean back. Every now and then let me knees dip to the tree for a bit. First off that’s comfortable to me and second I really like my bridge at that flat angle. It may be in my head but it really gives me the warm and fuzzies that my bridge is no where near my draw path. It may be a non issue but in my head it bothers me with that long unadjustable bridge angled upwards into my draw path. There are work arounds but it’s just too much movement at go time to fidget with deer in sight - for me.

The cold weather comfort pad looks like a good idea on paper but not executed well. It will not stay snapped for me and five minutes into the hunt it’s wadded up and causes an uncomfortable lump in a non ideal area. I only tried it once or twice it doesn’t get cold here until February and our season is over the first Sunday of January. I don’t even own any cold weather gear to speak of. I’m not really cold or hot natured to begin with. No matter the temps I rarely get hot or cold anyway. If I’m cold I know I have a fever and sick. LOL!

In the end I can’t say whether I would recommend this saddle or not. I would DEFINITELY not pay MSRP for it regardless. If you set a platform up like I do on trees bigger than 9” I don’t think it’s a bad platform. I realize I’m not the norm on how I’m comfortable and there has to be validity to so many failing. Since I only paid $60 for it I’m not gonna have heartburn even if I threw it in the trash, but I could’ve just got lucky. On the saddle if you pretty much knew you were going to give a serious try with saddle hunting and make it work and never owned one before, I’d say pass on the saddle. It could give you an unfair impression of saddle hunting as a first impression. I kept an open mind and very little money invested and lived to tell about it so itll probably go into the “don’t use anymore” tote in the basement.

The Cruzr factory is about 30 miles East of me. Locals have told me they are awesome about letting people in and try things and get properly setup. I’m gonna make a trip after calling them and if they are that cool about it probably move to a Cruzr XC and their platform.

I know I’m long winded but I’m a details guy and tried to be as honest as possible, I see people asking about this setup quite often due to its price and availability.

First of all welcome to the forum. Secondly thanks for the honest review. It'll probably help some make up their minds. I know I have considered this saddle and platform in the past but was hesitant due to lack of info. Also, I use a Cruzr xc saddle and the Seeker platform and like them both.

Welcome! I'm almost the exact same size it sounds like minus about 10lbs and the XC in a size 2 is super comfortable for me.

Thanks for the welcomes! After posting my review I called Cruzr and they said drop on by. I was thinking they were about 30 miles away and it was actually 56 so it took a bit. I met Chad and Jerry and they showed me around. They actually have 15-20 people just sewing and making saddles. They were both very nice guys.

The real cool part is they have a tree/pole set up and I got on their platform and told him what I thought was comfortable and he just set everything up and told me where I wanted my bridge height and how much tag end I wanted hanging on my bridge. The comfort between the Cruzr XC and the Hawk is so night and day it almost rivals my climber.

What I was really impressed with was the platform as well. I honestly can’t tell you what the model name is but it’s much wider than the Hawk for my big feet and the edge slants down on the front. Very comfortable and easy to turn around on. So I’m not sure which model it is but told him I wanted one. I know I got a Cruzr XC but not sure if it’s a 1, 2 or 3 - he looked at me and grabbed one off the shelf and it fit so well I didn’t ask I just bought a saddle and platform.

I know it’s not possible because of locations but it would be cool if everyone could go in get fitted and try before you buy. I don’t foresee any problems but nothing is perfect so if anything tears up I can drive over there and get it fixed or replaced.

I sat in the new Cruzr and platform maybe 3-4 hrs Saturday before the rain blew me out and sat dark to dark today. Im good now. I was giving up on saddle hunting but I see the appeal now.

Good review I too went the hawk route due to cost and it being my first year. I must say we have very equal opinions to it. I actually cut the bridge off and put an adjustable Amsteel one on and it for me changed the fit and function of that entire saddle. I also don’t have much to compare on as it’s the only saddle I’ve ever sat in but I one stick with it and can sit in it for 6-7 hours with no problem just after changing the bridge! With the factory bridge it was pushing to get 4

Good review I too went the hawk route due to cost and it being my first year. I must say we have very equal opinions to it. I actually cut the bridge off and put an adjustable Amsteel one on and it for me changed the fit and function of that entire saddle. I also don’t have much to compare on as it’s the only saddle I’ve ever sat in but I one stick with it and can sit in it for 6-7 hours with no problem just after changing the bridge! With the factory bridge it was pushing to get 4
Yeah an adjustable bridge is apparently a big key to my comfort.

Yeah an adjustable bridge is apparently a big key to my comfort.
same here I still find some difficulty in perfect comfort and I think it’s just due to it being a flat panel design. But all in all I’ll use it for this year and then upgrade seeing as if I’m in love with a lower end saddle I’ll surely be in love with a top shelf

same here I still find some difficulty in perfect comfort and I think it’s just due to it being a flat panel design. But all in all I’ll use it for this year and then upgrade seeing as if I’m in love with a lower end saddle I’ll surely be in love with a top shelf
I'm glad I broke down and tried something new. I was actually going to give up on saddle hunting. I'd already given up on hangons. I've had a cheapie hangon from ****s Sporting Goods that literally failed in 2016 and was recalled to an expensive one from Lone Wolf. I HATE hangons. My only chance to hunt this cherry piece of property was to make a saddle work. I was always a climber guy and I picked up this property last year and opening day of season it was apparent that a climber was NOT going to work.

Back