• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

(New?) idea for strap on step

goody94

SH Member
Been trying to scheme up ways around climbing sticks. Would love to hear thoughts on this.

Pros:
Dirt cheap mod (material was $2.50)
Divides strap on steps in half (should only need 4 to get to 16 feet)

Cons:
Packability is a little funky (still playing around with how to compact it down

I’m new here so this may have been done before. If so I’d love to connect and see the threads where this is discussed!
7d47027226a27621ebc5979ea1c9e52f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been messing around with something similar. Using a move able amsteel Whoopie tether that always99y wrote about.

Also

Have you seen this?

The steps usually sag down until the step is somewhat below the strap which makes an angle across the tree. It seems that when you step into your loop to the left that you will pull the strap below horizontal on that side and then when you step onto the actual step that the step will slide an extra length going down to horizontal and then lower to rest in usual position. This would be lessen with an OCB buckle with a polyester (lower stretch) strap. A typical cam buckle with nylon or polypropylene (worst) would likely do what I'm saying. Have you tried to see? One time up probably wouldn't do it, but multiple trips up and down might "walk" these down the tree a good bit.

The steps usually sag down until the step is somewhat below the strap which makes an angle across the tree. It seems that when you step into your loop to the left that you will pull the strap below horizontal on that side and then when you step onto the actual step that the step will slide an extra length going down to horizontal and then lower to rest in usual position. This would be lessen with an OCB buckle with a polyester (lower stretch) strap. A typical cam buckle with nylon or polypropylene (worst) would likely do what I'm saying. Have you tried to see? One time up probably wouldn't do it, but multiple trips up and down might "walk" these down the tree a good bit.

I agree, ocb would be ideal. I don’t really plan on leaving them set up so I wouldn’t be too worried about them slipping down the tree from the horizontal action. Again I’ll need to practice and see how much it will travel.

Love that video, I hadn’t seen that before.

I think maybe if I roll with swaider and put a cable on a few steps like the picture I should be able to get a good 5-6 feet with each step.

Thanks for the feedback guys. That video is super helpful.

Last edited:
@always89y is this your video above? Is this the method you are still rolling with?

Original Ameristeps w/ knaider swaider

I climbed with this most of last year. Moving the tether is a PITA for me. I ditched the swaider part and ran knaider only. This allowed me to only use the lineman belt which also kept me better balanced with only 1 step. Tether only is problematic when the tree has a lean.

I added a knaider attach point in my Ring of steps to assist with additional height if needed.

Back