• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New member from Ohio

Berryb1611

Very interested and intrigued with saddle hunting. Have been using Summit climber. Currently living in Sweetwater, Niota Tennessee area but in 9 days I will be moving to Columbus Ohio.
I've never tried saddle hunting but think that this is the safest way to hunt, because you're always attached to the tree. Does saddle hunting aggravate sciatic nerve problems. I wore a gun belt for 27 years and have damage from that. I was wondering if saddle hunting would aggravate it. The two harnesses I am looking at are the kestrel and mantis. Hello to all and Thank you in advance for any advice.

Welcome from Massachusetts. I don't know about sciatic nerve but some guy's get hip pinch. There's a lot you can do to try to remedy that though. You came to the right place there's a lot of information here and people willing to help. I have a Kestrel and love it. Do some research, size matters.

Welcome from Louisiana. I currently hunt from a Kite and find it to be very comfortable. There is a saddle hunter map link on this site. You could probably find some one near you with either of the saddles you mentioned that would let you try them on.

Welcome from Massachusetts. I don't know about sciatic nerve but some guy's get hip pinch. There's a lot you can do to try to remedy that though. You came to the right place there's a lot of information here and people willing to help. I have a Kestrel and love it. Do some research, size matters.
Thank you, what do you mean by size mattrrs?

Welcome from Louisiana. I currently hunt from a Kite and find it to be very comfortable. There is a saddle hunter map link on this site. You could probably find some one near you with either of the saddles you mentioned that would let you try them on.
Ok, I will check that out , thanks.

Hello from Michigan, my 2 cents I will be 63 yrs old tommorow and at 58 I had back surgery for spinal stenosis. They went in and did a roto rooter of 3 vertabra closed up with arthritis. I spent 11 days in the hospital and came home with a walker. For 2 to 3 months I had that walker . My earlier years I hunted with a trophy line neoprene tree saddle, loved it , love being attached to the tree all the time for safety reasons.used to hunt from 20 to 22 ft up. The last couple of years only hunted from a ladder stand or pop up blind my buddy put up for me , sitting on a seat is hard on the back, finally had two sits in my saddle this year the only problem is climbing the tree lol cause I'm getting old.walkingl distance or climbing the tree I think might be tough for you. Most of these people on here have great ideas for saddle hunting if your young and agile lol.i spend significant amount of time walking , light workouts and STRETCHING !!!!. Good luck !!!!
Very interested and intrigued with saddle hunting. Have been using Summit climber. Currently living in Sweetwater, Niota Tennessee area but in 9 days I will be moving to Columbus Ohio.
I've never tried saddle hunting but think that this is the safest way to hunt, because you're always attached to the tree. Does saddle hunting aggravate sciatic nerve problems. I wore a gun belt for 27 years and have damage from that. I was wondering if saddle hunting would aggravate it. The two harnesses I am looking at are the kestrel and mantis. Hello to all and Thank you in advance for any advice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hello from Michigan, my 2 cents I will be 63 yrs old tommorow and at 58 I had back surgery for spinal stenosis. They went in and did a roto rooter of 3 vertabra closed up with arthritis. I spent 11 days in the hospital and came home with a walker. For 2 to 3 months I had that walker . My earlier years I hunted with a trophy line neoprene tree saddle, loved it , love being attached to the tree all the time for safety reasons.used to hunt from 20 to 22 ft up. The last couple of years only hunted from a ladder stand or pop up blind my buddy put up for me , sitting on a seat is hard on the back, finally had two sits in my saddle this year the only problem is climbing the tree lol cause I'm getting old.walkingl distance or climbing the tree I think might be tough for you. Most of these people on here have great ideas for saddle hunting if your young and agile lol.i spend significant amount of time walking , light workouts and STRETCHING !!!!. Good luck !!!!

Thanks, I am in pretty good shape. I run and go to the gym. 49 years old. My concern was if the saddle puts a lot of pressure on the side of your hips pushing inward. My summit climber I inserted a ridged piece because I didn't like how you sink down into the seat.

I have not had the pinch in my trophy line saddles, but some guys do complained about that , getting the correct size saddle and bridge length is important. I hope to try the mantis or the aero Hunter this off season . With the saddle it is very stealth to go from a sitting position to a standing/ leaning position. Bottom line your gonna have to sit in one for a while and see how it goes.

I have not had the pinch in my trophy line saddles, but some guys do complained about that , getting the correct size saddle and bridge length is important. I hope to try the mantis or the aero Hunter this off season . With the saddle it is very stealth to go from a sitting position to a standing/ leaning position. Bottom line your gonna have to sit in one for a while and see how it goes.

Thanks,

Hello from the thumb of Michigan I have had lower back problems and sciatic nerve issues as well I hunt out of a Kestral first year and have not had any problems with my lower back I do experience some hip pinch but there are ways of adjusting and making it to where it is very minimal. Before I got my Kestral I would use a standard safety harness with lineman loops take the platform of your summit climber only I use wild edge tree steps this is good practice in my opinion to prepare your self when using a lineman's belt if you have not done that granted you will be standing only on the platform good for short hunt out of trees you cannot climb with the climber and will be able to hunt out of with a saddle once you hung from a saddle you will never want to ride metal again

Th
Hello from the thumb of Michigan I have had lower back problems and sciatic nerve issues as well I hunt out of a Kestral first year and have not had any problems with my lower back I do experience some hip pinch but there are ways of adjusting and making it to where it is very minimal. Before I got my Kestral I would use a standard safety harness with lineman loops take the platform of your summit climber only I use wild edge tree steps this is good practice in my opinion to prepare your self when using a lineman's belt if you have not done that granted you will be standing only on the platform good for short hunt out of trees you cannot climb with the climber and will be able to hunt out of with a saddle once you hung from a saddle you will never want to ride metal again
Thanks, this information really helps. Now I just have to figure which saddle. In Ohio I will have to hunt public lands and to my understanding you can not limb trees to use a climbing stand. When I saw saddle hunting I got excited. My load cut down, bulk and more shape of trees will work.

Saddle size matters.
Welcome to the site.
Thanks, as to size matters. If the seat is to big you have this problem and if it is to small you have this problem. What are the problems for each? The tethers mantis says on sizing leaner medium and for a sitter a large for me. I would like to be able to change up through out the hang as I need to change for comfort.

Thanks, as to size matters. If the seat is to big you have this problem and if it is to small you have this problem. What are the problems for each? The tethers mantis says on sizing leaner medium and for a sitter a large for me. I would like to be able to change up through out the hang as I need to change for comfort.
Here's the way I look at choosing a saddle...
There are 2 basic aspects...comfort and user friendliness.
User friendliness comes down to bells and whistles like rope styles, knots or buries, Molly loops, ease of putting on/off, buckle style...that kind of stuff.
The comfort aspect is a little harder to say what is best for an individual. I do think that the size recommendation by the maker is a good start but whether it's comfortable goes way beyond that. 1st, Just because 2 guys are both 6 foot and 190 pounds doesn't mean they have the same shape of arse. Saddle size is just a starting point. How it's set-up and how it's used is just as important as size. Stuff that will make a difference...
What type of bridge will you use? Bridge length is critical for comfort. In the beginning, I think an adjustable bridge helps you figure out the best length for you.
Tether attachment height will make a big difference in comfort, too.
Ropeman 1 can make adjustments fast and easy to changing it a bit during a sit will effect comfort. I don't think most guys can hang all day without making an occasional adjustment.
What type of foot management will you employ? Platforms tend to be more comfortable than a ring of steps.
Knee pads...If you are strictly a leaner, you may be able to get away without pads. I lean 90% of the time, but I do need an occasional rest during an 11 hour hang...Knee pads make resting more effective.

The clothing you wear could have an effect on pressure points and hip pinch. Bulky seams, snaps, buttons, zippers, lumps in clothing layers, FOR SOME BODY SHAPES may fall right where the saddle straps put the most pressure on places your body has the least amount of padding (i.e. fat and muscle). My favorite pants have thick seams on the corners of my back pockets...one tiny spot. But that spot always seemed to end up right on a pressure point on my hips. I hardly notice it on short hunts, but when doing back-to-back-to-back, all-day sits, little discomforts start to become more noticeable by the end of each day. Since back pockets are useless for saddle hunting, I removed mine. It's slightly more comfortable.

Here's a little in-the-saddle exercise that helps my back. While leaning, do some pelvic tilts. It takes almost no movement and really makes a saddle cup your butt differently. I think guys that tend to have the saddle slide up suffer from flat-ass. Tilt that pelvis (either forward or back) and all sorts of comfort issues change, from head to toes. Tilts also help on cold days. Either isometric tilts or active tilts, help blood flow and warms me up.

Hope some of this stuff helps you make your decision.
Both AeroHunter and Tethrd make high quality saddles. Which one, and which size, that will work best for you can't be fully answered in a thread, but it's a good starting point.
Good luck and be safe. If you ever get to SW PA, look me up.

Reactions: KRN
Back