• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New respect for Southern hunters

Jason Cuckler

C5C826C2-DD54-4551-B9AB-F9BAAC4D4789.jpeg I was on the ramp at the airport at the Savanah airport and these things were all around. I have a special new appreciation for @g2outdoors and the other southern hunters. BTW that is my wallet. On the other hand if you get hungry while hunting...

I'm not sure what that is, but the horse flies have been terrible this summer. Going to be a rough fall if they're still around.

Is that a horse fly? It looks like one of them big old water bugs that live in the cooling towers at the chemical plants and refineries. The front legs look like two giant spikes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Thats what I'm thinking. They got aliens growing in those chemical plant sewers. Creatures that will blow your mind!

I can’t see the eyes well enough. It could be a Green head fly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

They’ve been terrible.

I scouted the Blue River and Atoka WMA’s three weeks ago and despite my precautions came back with six ticks.

Hate those dang bloodsuckers.
All around the Arkansas river and Keystone and Eufaula also. I’ve tried everything.

I ran into two snakes on December 8th last year... I bet y’all don’t get that in the north!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually we do if we get a warm stretch here in VA. Myself and a few friends are investing this year in snake boots or gaiters or both. Too many run in’s with rattlers and copperheads. Not worth the chance. I wore my Filson chaps last year, just too warm for early season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

All around the Arkansas river and Keystone and Eufaula also. I’ve tried everything.
I used a cedar oil/sulfur powder/almond oil/water mixture last weekend at Lake Burtschi that seemed to work better.

The ticks are definitely worse the further east and south you go in Oklahoma. Atoka always seems to get too many ticks.

View attachment 4954 I was on the ramp at the airport at the Savanah airport and these things were all around. I have a special new appreciation for @g2outdoors and the other southern hunters. BTW that is my wallet. On the other hand if you get hungry while hunting...

Alligator bug. You can pick them up on their sides. But those two Little arms are sharp and will cut you if you get your finger in front of them. Use to play with them when we were kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back