• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to saddle hunting from N TX.

buckyusn

SH Member
Greetings from the north DFW area. I'm just returning to archery hunting and decided to try saddle hunting at my spot out in East TX (plenty of trees). There seems to be a steep learning curve, but it looks a bit safer than some of the tree stands I used to climb up into as a kid. I'm ready to learn, get some gear, and start practicing on the ground. Cheers!

Welcome aboard from East Ky, lots of knowledge here and great people! Good luck and God Bless.

Welcome from northern Michigan! Don't be afraid to ask questions, there's a lot of different ways to approach this saddle hunting game and most all are well represented here. There's a good bunch of guys/gals here willing to offer suggestions and give advice to help shorten the learning curve.

Right on! Welcome. A saddle is just one of the many tools available to us. I advise, find someone in your area that saddle hunts and try their stuff a bit.
Try everything that you can for free. You will find your preferences aren't the same as everybody else's. It can be 1 rabbit hole after another sometimes. And lastly, remember we can't usually buy our way into a big buck. They are just tools, we are the hunter.

Welcome from East Texas! There's a bunch of information on the site, and plenty to sift through. I don't think the learning curve is that big to be honest. I started out just using the same sticks I used for my hang-on stand, and added the saddle and a platform. After a couple seasons I started to change things up and try new things. I always practiced in the backyard to get comfortable with things before heading out into the woods. I'd rather get the awkwardness out of the way, which tends to be noisy, before getting out in the dark and clanking my way up a tree.
Have fun with it, and remember that each person does it differently. Don't be afraid to try new things, but also don't be afraid t stick with something if it feels comfortable either.
Be safe and have fun!

Welcome from SE Texas. I hunt the SHNF and saddle hunting changed everything for me since the light weight setup made being mobile easier. Good luck this season

Welcome from Northern Virginia. Think there’s a few folks here from TX. Hit up the saddlehunter map .

Welcome to the Hotel California..... This a very addictive hunting style but rest assured there are plenty of enablers here with a support thread, that doesn't help. Seriously welcome from SE Georgia.
Take your time and put in plenty of practice from one foot high.

Welcome from Michigan. I think most methods are safer than tree stands. But I think SH creates a lot more opportunities for fail points. I know I have had a few close calls. You definitely have to pay more attention to what your doing.

Back