• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Newbie from PA

jraffensberger

Another newbie here from central PA…York to be specific. I just bought an cruzr xc, trophyline mission and muddy pro sticks (went with these due to them being super cheap on Midway). I’ve always used hang-ons, climbers and occasionally ground blinds. But I wanted something more mobile with more options on trees, so I made the leap into SH. The loss of my hunting lease and having to hunt public land made this decision even easier. I welcome any advice since I am new to SH.

Also from central PA…Union county. I recently went back to sticks and a hang on but still love this site. Best advice I have is really simple: practice, practice, and practice more. Climbing trees is one of the most enjoyable aspects of bow hunting for me and I am always tweaking this and that to increase efficiency on the climb without sacrificing safety. Shooting from a saddle is also an art form unto itself and you should practice that, too.

I’ve gone through about 50,000 iterations (exaggeration intended) of sticks, platforms, saddles, packs, ropes, pouches, battle belts and hang ons and I think I might have finally found the best system (for me). I guess the point here is that perfection is probably not achievable in this game, but damn is it fun to try getting there!!!

I’m from the Gettysburg area but have quite a bit of family in york.

Best advice I can give echos some of the other things already said… practice a lot. Find what works best for you. You’ll probably tinker with things for a season or two before you find what you really like. Start basic and then build from there. This site is a great resource for pretty much everything you’d want to know.

Back