• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Night Hunting Coyotes

Micneador

SH Member
Anyone else here night hunt coyotes? I'm a terrible daytime coyote caller, but since I've bought thermal optics for controlling feral pigs I've taken up night hunting coyotes. So far with pretty good success. Killed one on my first attempt, then last weekend made a couple quick stand and tripled on my last stand. Screenshot_20240207_073727_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240207_073715_Gallery.jpg

Anyone else here night hunt coyotes? I'm a terrible daytime coyote caller, but since I've bought thermal optics for controlling feral pigs I've taken up night hunting coyotes. So far with pretty good success. Killed one on my first attempt, then last weekend made a couple quick stand and tripled on my last stand. View attachment 99601View attachment 99602
That's awesome man. Wish I could do that around here. I am going to try my hand at night hunting them but with my bow because I live in a pretty built-up area.

I have big plans to start doing this, I just haven’t enacted them yet.
Looks like a blast, literally and figuratively.
Plus, we only have about 9KTrillion coyotes traversing our property from our neighbors to the south and southwest…what we truly need is a SEAL with a suppressed Mk46 SAW, and thermal optics for my crossbow so I can pick off the stragglers.
For now though, I’m looking at a Piglet light for my bows, and talking with an ex-military friend of mine to bring his thermals and excessively cool rifles out for a night or two of “property surveillance with extreme prejudice”.

That's awesome man. Wish I could do that around here. I am going to try my hand at night hunting them but with my bow because I live in a pretty built-up area.
I've contemplated doing it. Have a few neighbors where I live that are having ckicken/goats being killed. Possibly will be throwing the 22lr conversion in and sub sonic loads.

I have big plans to start doing this, I just haven’t enacted them yet.
Looks like a blast, literally and figuratively.
Plus, we only have about 9KTrillion coyotes traversing our property from our neighbors to the south and southwest…what we truly need is a SEAL with a suppressed Mk46 SAW, and thermal optics for my crossbow so I can pick off the stragglers.
For now though, I’m looking at a Piglet light for my bows, and talking with an ex-military friend of mine to bring his thermals and excessively cool rifles out for a night or two of “property surveillance with extreme prejudice”.
I will have a supressor soon, both for the pigs and yotes.

I have a friend who's in the fur trade. As long as I don't put too big a hole in em he'll take them.
What is the average return on a coyote? Do you leave the carcass in the field, use it to bait the next hunt, let the fur guy worry about it?

How are night scopes during to daylight? I'd like to get a night scope for my varmint gun but I don't want to lose the ability to reach out in the daytime.
Might has a daytime mode which switches to a color picture for daytime use. I run a Sightmark wraith HD. It’s a budget scope but fits my needs and occasional use price point.

It not much. Last I saw a good pelt was $5 but he has a love for working fur/hides.
I drop them off whole to him. What he does with the rest is beyond me.
$5/pelt, assuming you get 2-3, is enough for another box of ammo potentially. That sounds like a self-equalizing activity.

Looks like I'll be spending at least $600-$800 minimum just for a scope?
Nah. The wraith hd is $399 as of this post, less if you’re mil or Leo.
Bet you could find one cheaper ok feebay. I’ve had mine mounted on my 308 and sent plenty of rounds down range with zero issues, not bad for an inexpensive piece of kit. It only does night vision not thermal so if you’re wanting that mode you’ll def be paying more. There’s more expensive solutions but I couldn’t see paying more for the amount of time I need it. The product listing says 200 yards but if you get the torch positioned correctly you can see further, or just throw a more powerful light on it.

Preface: I’m good with hunting them, for sport or profit. I’ll pop one given the chance and time to skin, won’t do it to leave one lay.

Curious if anyone has read the Dan Flores book. Seems to me we’re super unlikely to eradicate them if that’s the goal and they sort of control their own population through breeding.

[
Preface: I’m good with hunting them, for sport or profit. I’ll pop one given the chance and time to skin, won’t do it to leave one lay.

Curious if anyone has read the Dan Flores book. Seems to me we’re super unlikely to eradicate them if that’s the goal and they sort of control their own population through breeding.

I've seen people talk about it, read some snipets and it's probably true to an extent and prey dependant surely. It's been a ridiculous year for rodents. This wheat pasture I was in I counted 16 rabbits and didn't even count all the other rats/mice

Here's a screenshot from the vid of my triple. These dogs are hanging out within 200yds of where I feed my cattle. Dad already killed one last week that was IN the hay ring. It's calving season and I've already lost one. Market price at close to $2k a head for 500lb steers, I'm not risking losing another. IMG_20240207_220040.jpg

[

I've seen people talk about it, read some snipets and it's probably true to an extent and prey dependant surely. It's been a ridiculous year for rodents. This wheat pasture I was in I counted 16 rabbits and didn't even count all the other rats/mice

Here's a screenshot from the vid of my triple. These dogs are hanging out within 200yds of where I feed my cattle. Dad already killed one last week that was IN the hay ring. It's calving season and I've already lost one. Market price at close to $2k a head for 500lb steers, I'm not risking losing another. View attachment 99627
Not judging at all, sorry if it came across that way. I’d be doing the same thing you are.

I have not specifically went out to hunt them at night, but I've killed a few with my bow from a tree while deer hunting.
I used to hunt an apple orchard which bordered a cattle field and was asked to put any down which I saw.
The first one, I'd just bought my Vertix bow and got up in the tree around 5am. Around 6:30am I saw a coyote trailing the path I'd taken on the way in, so I double lunged it. It took off and crossed onto a neighboring property and after a couple of hours of trying to get hold of the owner to get permission to trail it I finally gave up and went home. The very next day I took a different path to the same tree, and another coyote came in trailing the blood trail from the one I'd shot the day before. I got a quartering-to pass through and it stopped after 120yds or so.
I was joking with the guy at the bow shop a few days later about returning my Vertix since it was defective - telling him that it only killed coyotes and I wanted a deer version :)

Back