• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

NJ Saddle Newbie

Greysquirrel

Hey everyone ,
NJ and PA public land hunter here. After years of fussing with a climber and an inability to not sound like a dumb truck in the middle of the woods, I gave climbers up and spent the last 2-3 seasons ground hunting. I was never able to operate my climbers quietly and the bulky stand on my back was very physically taxing as I approach 40 years old.

I haven't been happy with any ground setups and feel like the lack of height is a tactical disadvantage and extremely difficult way to hunt in a mobile fashion; especially on high pressured public. With minimal success and a lack of the results that's I hoped for from the ground I've decided to get into a saddle and get back up in a tree. I think saddles seem to lend themselves to stealth so looking forward to using one. Love the information everyone here has shared and combing through the forums is quite the education. I'm an equipment geek and I can see how technical everyone gets with their own setups. Starting to put mine together now and hoping for a few late season sits after some practice. Happy hunting !

Welcome from Louisiana. A bit of advice, open another CC just for this. I went through a few different climbing methods and settle on the one stick. I wish I would have just started there.

Welcome from Louisiana. A bit of advice, open another CC just for this. I went through a few different climbing methods and settle on the one stick. I wish I would have just started there.
You ain’t wrong. I went straight to one sticking. Seemed to be the most obvious to me for mobility and flexibility with the least amount of weight and fiddle factor.

Hey everyone ,
NJ and PA public land hunter here. After years of fussing with a climber and an inability to not sound like a dumb truck in the middle of the woods, I gave climbers up and spent the last 2-3 seasons ground hunting. I was never able to operate my climbers quietly and the bulky stand on my back was very physically taxing as I approach 40 years old.

I haven't been happy with any ground setups and feel like the lack of height is a tactical disadvantage and extremely difficult way to hunt in a mobile fashion; especially on high pressured public. With minimal success and a lack of the results that's I hoped for from the ground I've decided to get into a saddle and get back up in a tree. I think saddles seem to lend themselves to stealth so looking forward to using one. Love the information everyone here has shared and combing through the forums is quite the education. I'm an equipment geek and I can see how technical everyone gets with their own setups. Starting to put mine together now and hoping for a few late season sits after some practice. Happy hunting !
Welcome from South Jersey (Atlantic County)

Back