• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Official " Tethrd Mantis " Review Thread!

For those that already have one, what size would you recommend for 34" waist, 217 lb, 5' 9" frame, I think my kestrel is size 2 and it seems to be ok

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sorry I didn't get to review it today... well, yesterday, it's after 12:00 AM. It was raining here from the time I got off work until after dark. I did hang for just a few minutes on my lunch break, so I can give my initial opinion.

I have been climbing trees for over twelve years and I'm comfortable in a saddle, already. So, take that into consideration when reading this. I'm a newbie to saddle hunting, but not saddles. Saddle shape is real, but in my opinion, it won't take long at all to get there with the Mantis. This thing is built remarkably well, with seriously heavy duty materials in high wear/stress areas. I am thoroughly impressed with the fit and finish. It is RIDICULOUSLY light, but doesn't feel any less secure or comfortable than my arborist saddle. In fact, it's much more comfortable than any working saddle I've used. (That includes the famed Treemotion, which retailed for $500 when it was introduced.) The heavy duty mesh makes a huge difference in comfort, and I can already tell how much cooler it will be than solid saddles. I didn't get to hang long, but it was 86 degrees today with a heat index over 90, so I have an idea of what early season in the South will be like in the Mantis.

I haven't done much sitting yet, as I'm primarily a leaner, but will sit for short durations to relieve pressure on my feet from time to time. I will do some prolonged sitting very soon in order to provide better feedback for you guys. I have a feeling that the MicroFit adjusters, when they arrive, will make sitting in the Mantis even more comfortable. I will provide my experiences with them, the SYS Hauler and SYS Hauler ES, and the Recliner as well.

I am very happy with the Tethrd spliced ropes. I got two lineman's belts because I like clipping my tether into place, rather than girth hitching it. Just a personal preference, no other reason. Because of my chosen method, I have no need for a long splice, and the lineman's belt comes with two carabiners, so it just made sense to get two. I was also excited to find that the prusik loops that come with the lineman's belts are more than long enough to retie into a schwabisch hitch, distel hitch, or a valdotain tresse (french prusik), so if you prefer one of these friction hitches, there's no need to buy more prusik cordage. I will actually be trimming them a little shorter once I've set them up with tending devices. The Wild Country Ascent Lite Carabiners are fantastic, as well. They are very light, and have a shape that provides a wide gate opening while still fitting in the hand nicely, making manipulating them with gloves or cold-numbed fingers that much easier. I did get a Ropeman 1, but haven't used it yet. I don't believe I need to review it for you guys, though, since that dead horse has been beaten to dust.

I will not go into depth on my limited experience with the Predator platform here, but will review it on the appropriate thread when I've spent a little more time on it. I will simply say that it was surprisingly light, I set it on three different size and species of trees with ease, and it felt rock solid under my 245 pounds.

I believe @Erniepower , @g2outdoors , and their team have done a remarkable job. They have brought to market a system that, in my rookie opinion, will make it infinitely easier for hunters to safely transition to saddle hunting. There will always be intelligent, creative, motivated individuals that enjoy building or modifying their own gear, and I'm thankful for that. Some of you guys absolutely amaze and inspire me. However, Tethrd has now reduced the barrier to entry for all of those that are... less handy. Tethrd is not just spreading the word about saddle hunting; they are growing the saddle hunting community itself. Thank you, guys, for taking on the risk, stress, and headache in order to provide options that simply did not exist previously. Keep innovating, keep up the quality, keep making your products in the states, and I'll keep buying them.

As soon as I get some quality time in the Mantis, I'll give a real review. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Have other guys actually received theirs? I was told my platform was shipping last Wednesday, but haven't received any type of email notification or verification.

My order got bumped from June 10th to the 23rd when I ordered the predator and had my orders merged. Heard back from Greg today and I'm supposed to be getting mine in the next shipment of fat guy saddles. Fingers crossed. If I had known I would get bumped, I wouldn't have merged by orders. Probably would have gotten both items sooner. But that's water under the bridge at this point. Happy to hear back from them and figure out what it was.

I messaged them mid day on Saturday and got a response about an hour ago. So they are backed up 3 days by the looks of it for an email or message.

All my emails have gone to the exact same folder. Wasn't spam for me, but it should keep going to the same spot since its the same guy sending it. My last message came up as Tethrd LLC, and others have been Online Store, and the hello@tethrdnation email.

Mine should be here this week! I’ll hopefully get to spend some time in it Saturday afternoon if it’s not pouring outside. I’ll try to get some video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I didn't get to review it today... well, yesterday, it's after 12:00 AM. It was raining here from the time I got off work until after dark. I did hang for just a few minutes on my lunch break, so I can give my initial opinion.

I have been climbing trees for over twelve years and I'm comfortable in a saddle, already. So, take that into consideration when reading this. I'm a newbie to saddle hunting, but not saddles. Saddle shape is real, but in my opinion, it won't take long at all to get there with the Mantis. This thing is built remarkably well, with seriously heavy duty materials in high wear/stress areas. I am thoroughly impressed with the fit and finish. It is RIDICULOUSLY light, but doesn't feel any less secure or comfortable than my arborist saddle. In fact, it's much more comfortable than any working saddle I've used. (That includes the famed Treemotion, which retailed for $500 when it was introduced.) The heavy duty mesh makes a huge difference in comfort, and I can already tell how much cooler it will be than solid saddles. I didn't get to hang long, but it was 86 degrees today with a heat index over 90, so I have an idea of what early season in the South will be like in the Mantis.

I haven't done much sitting yet, as I'm primarily a leaner, but will sit for short durations to relieve pressure on my feet from time to time. I will do some prolonged sitting very soon in order to provide better feedback for you guys. I have a feeling that the MicroFit adjusters, when they arrive, will make sitting in the Mantis even more comfortable. I will provide my experiences with them, the SYS Hauler and SYS Hauler ES, and the Recliner as well.

I am very happy with the Tethrd spliced ropes. I got two lineman's belts because I like clipping my tether into place, rather than girth hitching it. Just a personal preference, no other reason. Because of my chosen method, I have no need for a long splice, and the lineman's belt comes with two carabiners, so it just made sense to get two. I was also excited to find that the prusik loops that come with the lineman's belts are more than long enough to retie into a schwabisch hitch, distel hitch, or a valdotain tresse (french prusik), so if you prefer one of these friction hitches, there's no need to buy more prusik cordage. I will actually be trimming them a little shorter once I've set them up with tending devices. The Wild Country Ascent Lite Carabiners are fantastic, as well. They are very light, and have a shape that provides a wide gate opening while still fitting in the hand nicely, making manipulating them with gloves or cold-numbed fingers that much easier. I did get a Ropeman 1, but haven't used it yet. I don't believe I need to review it for you guys, though, since that dead horse has been beaten to dust.

I will not go into depth on my limited experience with the Predator platform here, but will review it on the appropriate thread when I've spent a little more time on it. I will simply say that it was surprisingly light, I set it on three different size and species of trees with ease, and it felt rock solid under my 245 pounds.

I believe @Erniepower , @g2outdoors , and their team have done a remarkable job. They have brought to market a system that, in my rookie opinion, will make it infinitely easier for hunters to safely transition to saddle hunting. There will always be intelligent, creative, motivated individuals that enjoy building or modifying their own gear, and I'm thankful for that. Some of you guys absolutely amaze and inspire me. However, Tethrd has now reduced the barrier to entry for all of those that are... less handy. Tethrd is not just spreading the word about saddle hunting; they are growing the saddle hunting community itself. Thank you, guys, for taking on the risk, stress, and headache in order to provide options that simply did not exist previously. Keep innovating, keep up the quality, keep making your products in the states, and I'll keep buying them.

As soon as I get some quality time in the Mantis, I'll give a real review. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Good feedback and thoughts- thanks for sharing.

For those that already have one, what size would you recommend for 34" waist, 217 lb, 5' 9" frame, I think my kestrel is size 2 and it seems to be ok

I would go with a large, but you could get a medium to work. I have min 36 inch waist and have sat in the L and XL. I find them both very comfortable. You'll have more tether length with the L at a same tether height. XL is a slightly bigger cup so I find it slightly more comfortable. I think XL with a 34 would leave you little to no tether at a eye level high tether. Medium would maximize your tether length but would leave you little for cold weather clothing. Large should be perfect

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

@Scoutman is in Colorado, so I may have to steal his off his front porch and review it.... Hahahaha

I would go with a large, but you could get a medium to work. I have min 36 inch waist and have sat in the L and XL. I find them both very comfortable. You'll have more tether length with the L at a same tether height. XL is a slightly bigger cup so I find it slightly more comfortable. I think XL with a 34 would leave you little to no tether at a eye level high tether. Medium would maximize your tether length but would leave you little for cold weather clothing. Large should be perfect

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I took your advice and ordered a L today, thank you

Back