• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Old Timer 69OT Sharpening Advise

Sbrammer

SH Member
I bought an old timer 69OT off amazon. This thing is not sharp. For the life of me I can't get an edge on the blade. I've tried whet stones, diamond sharpening stones and WorkSharp belt style sharpener. The WorkSharp works the best, but still no where near where I think it should be.

The knife is sharp enough to open a deer to get the internals out, and stout enough to go through rib bones. But I would hate to debone one in the field with it.

Any advise or recommendations on another knife with the trapper style? This one was so cheap (a little over $20) it's not worth fiddle with too much longer.

I got this and holy crap it works awesome. Like stupid sharp in next to no time.
Yeah this was my second set of diamond sharpening stones. What kind of pressure do you use? What angles? I've tried heavy and light pressure. I seem to get a little better edge from light pressure. I've tried 25 and 20 degree angles. The results seem to be the same for angles.

I've never met a blade that my Spyderco Sharpmaker can't handle. You just have to keep the knife at a 90 to the table by sighting down the blade from above.

I bought an old timer 69OT off amazon. This thing is not sharp. For the life of me I can't get an edge on the blade. I've tried whet stones, diamond sharpening stones and WorkSharp belt style sharpener. The WorkSharp works the best, but still no where near where I think it should be.

The knife is sharp enough to open a deer to get the internals out, and stout enough to go through rib bones. But I would hate to debone one in the field with it.

Any advise or recommendations on another knife with the trapper style? This one was so cheap (a little over $20) it's not worth fiddle with too much longer.
Wow, I've boned 66 deer this year w/nothing but that knife and I think I could shave w/it, well maybe w/some shaving jell! I only use a 6" diamond stone and strop on a DIY leather. Maybe try a cheap draw thru carbide style sharpener to get the angles right and then to the diamond. I never carry a stone to the woods. It's still very sharp when I'm done. I had seen his video and bought the cheap ($20) China Diamond and really impressed w/it. You Could Just Send It To Me And I'll Try To Get Some Good Out Of It !!

Last edited:
Yeah this was my second set of diamond sharpening stones. What kind of pressure do you use? What angles? I've tried heavy and light pressure. I seem to get a little better edge from light pressure. I've tried 25 and 20 degree angles. The results seem to be the same for angles.
Couldnt tell you on the angle, dont use the guide, just eyeball it and hold a consistent angle. If I was guessing prolly 25ish. Sharpened a buddys camillus at camp last weekend that wouldnt cut a blueberry muffin. Took about 3 minutes to have it hair poppin. Medium pressure on the coarse side and light on the fine side, then stropped. 25 strokes per side on all 3.

I really went down the sharpening rabbit hole once I got fixed heads. I learned the grit you use isn't nearly as important as stropping. I can stop on 240 grit sandpaper, and once I'm done stropping that sucker will zip through any deer. It'll just have a toothier edge

I broke my Kershaw, anybody have any EDC recommendations? I want a Case Kinzua but sheesh!

Attachments

• IMG_5592.jpeg
    IMG_5592.jpeg
    354.4 KB · Views: 17
You could be re profiling the edge and that would take a bit longer. I might go back the WS and start over. Work through the steps and then strop. See if the second time puts the edge where you would like. Those knives are usually fairly easy to sharpen.

Boker of today is nowhere near the quality of craftsmanship it once was. They have good steel just doesn’t feel the same

Back