• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One Aider Per Stick or a 3 Stepper on the Bottom Stick?

Abishai

Fort Riley, KS by way of the Arkansas River Valley
I can't decide what to do. What do you think I'll prefer and/or what do you do? Wanting to get an aider just to get a bit higher in the tree. But I can't decide to get one 3-step for the bottom or four 1-step for each stick. All in all, cost and added weight is about the same.

You’re right, cost and weight is about the same. The deal is in versatility. If you put a 3 step aider on, you then have a stick you can 1 stick climb with if you want to get into that. If you don’t like climbing with aiders I’d go with the 4 1 steps

I use a cable aider for each of my four sticks. I just got a new backwoods mobile gear versa aider and I haven’t used it much. I did mess with it some and found out I can get 6-7 feet a stick so 3 sticks 18-21 feet combining the two aiders. Add a foot or so on top to the platform.

my thinking is the bottom stick with more steps is going to be tough on certain trees and you might not always get full height....1 step aiders allow you to work around things a bit more

Just get 3 step aider for bottom stick, safer and less hassle while being lower to the ground. I have used all the options, moveable aiders, wire aiders etc, and for me that’s the best in my opinion.

I run four sticks. Double on bottom. Single on next stick. And run the next 2 clean. There have been several times the 4th stick hangs in a limb next to me because I got to hunting cover with just the three. Part of me wants to run double, double single and only carry 3 sticks.

I dislike multiple step aiders but folks love them. If I used multiple sticks, they’d all have singles on them. Plus, a single step aider can be made in just a few minutes with a piece of rope, tying a figure 8 on each end…….ez peasy! Making a 3 step aider, not so much! No worries though, just send Dano a check and you’ll have a multiple step aider in no time! My 1 stick is a 36” with a single step aider. If I move it twice, my butts at 20’. I have only moved it 3 times a few times…….not 4 yet. It will make me pause, look everything over again and make sure everything is perfect……and slow down

Back