• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One shot, everyone knows the rules!

gcr0003

SH Member
Well the only rule is: take one shot in the morning before work or daily activities or after work to get ready for hunting season to open!

Our hunting season doesn’t start until October 1st for part of the state and October 15th for much of the rest. I thought I’d start a little thread where you wake up in the morning, get a cup of coffee and take one shot at your target cold before work. My shot is 17-18 yards from the target. I might do a first shot from the saddle in the evenings. I’m going to post my first shot each time to keep it honest.

199501E8-BD51-424F-99B8-C85E3DC95A2F.jpegD9006E54-EE84-46DB-9E83-A269D9DA6452.jpeg

It got down to 53 last night here in Alabama and though it might be 90 opening day, I’m starting to get a real bad itch to be in the woods.

Traditional or Compound I won’t stereotype! Y’all have a blessed morning.

Last edited:
Question....when u guys are shooting at live action animals do u aim where the animal is currently in space and time or do u compensate for "string jump" and adjust aim point for where u think the aim point will end up....

Personally I compensate ....quick rabbit deer and slow projectile so I aim below where I want to hit.

I don't know if that's correct thing to do or not but based off my misses in the past and the ones I have managed to hit that seems like the right course of action

Question....when u guys are shooting at live action animals do u aim where the animal is currently in space and time or do u compensate for "string jump" and adjust aim point for where u think the aim point will end up....

Personally I compensate ....quick rabbit deer and slow projectile so I aim below where I want to hit.

I don't know if that's correct thing to do or not but based off my misses in the past and the ones I have managed to hit that seems like the right course of action

On a completely relaxed deer, especially one with its head up I will aim where the deer is currently. If the deer is on edge or has it's head down, I will lower that aim point slightly to lower third of deer. I have shot over the backs of a few deer though.

For those of you shooting on animal targets, do you find that it makes a noticeable difference over shooting at your normal block type targets? I've only ever shot block targets, and I'm wondering if I'm missing out on the realism aspect

For those of you shooting on animal targets, do you find that it makes a noticeable difference over shooting at your normal block type targets? I've only ever shot block targets, and I'm wondering if I'm missing out on the realism aspect
I find it helps for the actual sight picture, but I’m a recurve instinct shooter. I’m too cheap to get an actual 3D target so I put my block on a bucket to simulate vital height.

It has made a huge difference to me. In the woods the first couple years I struggled finding a place to aim on the deer in the moment. The target helps me work off of different features of the deers anatomy such as coming up from the front leg etc. it’s not difficult to do but being able to see it every time I shoot helps. I work on my angle of penetration depending on where I am at quarter away, quartered to, broadside, up in a tree with the same. I also work on slow draws and platform movements. Generally, it seems more realistic to me as well since it’s about the right deer height and size. That said, I need to get a smaller deer target. The one I have has to be the biggest target they make and it’s not as realistic to the does, nor the smaller bucks I’ll have the opportunity to shoot in the area im hunting this year. I focus on the heart with my mainly broadside shots from the ground for point of aim since it’s a smaller target, but that changes when I’m in the tree. The target I have has a cube vital section and they have vitals outlined differently for a treestand shot as well as a broadside shot that you can change depending on what you’re shooting or practicing. Take all of that and add it together shooting awkward shots from a saddle and platform and it really makes for fun shooting and good practice.

The target I have has a cube vital section and they have vitals outlined differently for a treestand shot as well as a broadside shot that you can change depending on what you’re shooting or practicing.
Do you know what target that you have?

I can't speak for these other peeps and it's just my opinion, but I think it does.....why train ur brain to spot at dots? Excluding butternuster shooting at the spots on fawns hehehe....none of the animals I'm trying to kill have dots...legal deer can't have spots here.
Also helps to practice for the ¼ to and ¼ away shot angle and shooting for the exit on elevated shots...
When tuning the bow and tuning the arrows I shoot block but for sighting in the sight and practice for hunting the 3d is more realistic of what it's really gonna look like.

Maybe it doesn't actually help but it's more fun....I can't stand shooting at set distances like at a range

Edit: oops too slow @gcr0003 beat me to it

Last edited:
Do you know what target that you have?
I have the Glendel buck. The center target portion has been great but the deer body that holds the cube is thin and tore apart pretty easily. I have a Strap holding everything together right now. Not sure if I would recommend it. I like it but I don’t think it holds up the best.

For an instinctive shooter, I think it makes a difference, at least for me. A target on the ground is easier for me to judge distance. A critter standing seems harder to judge distance, if that makes any sense at all. For a sight shooter, I don't think it makes any difference out to maybe 25 yds.

Yes, as others have said it’s a completely different site picture. As an instinctive shooter it makes a big difference in my shooting when I practice with a 3d target.
There are basically two ways that I practice. I wil kick a soccer ball around the yard and shoot at it with a rubber blunt or I shoot’s at 3d targets. If I shoot at the ball only for several weeks and then go back to a 3d target it takes me a couple shots to start shooting to my potential. But for whatever reason, I can shoot the 3d targets for several weeks, then go back to the ball and not have any issues.

Yes, as others have said it’s a completely different site picture. As an instinctive shooter it makes a big difference in my shooting when I practice with a 3d target.
There are basically two ways that I practice. I wil kick a soccer ball around the yard and shoot at it with a rubber blunt or I shoot’s at 3d targets. If I shoot at the ball only for several weeks and then go back to a 3d target it takes me a couple shots to start shooting to my potential. But for whatever reason, I can shoot the 3d targets for several weeks, then go back to the ball and not have any issues.
The soccer ball with blunt tips is a neat idea. I'll have to try that out when I have some more space. Right now, I'm stuck going out in the last ten minutes of light, to the only kinda hidden corner of my yard, in order to be as discreet as possible. No privacy fence + living in the city = potential for upset neighbors

I can't speak for these other peeps and it's just my opinion, but I think it does.....why train ur brain to spot at dots? Excluding butternuster shooting at the spots on fawns hehehe....none of the animals I'm trying to kill have dots...legal deer can't have spots here.
Also helps to practice for the ¼ to and ¼ away shot angle and shooting for the exit on elevated shots...
When tuning the bow and tuning the arrows I shoot block but for sighting in the sight and practice for hunting the 3d is more realistic of what it's really gonna look like.

Maybe it doesn't actually help but it's more fun....I can't stand shooting at set distances like at a range

Edit: oops too slow @gcr0003 beat me to it
I think GC is right about it depending on the deer. If they have already smelled traces of you or are cautious and feeding they are likely to jump. If they are just strolling in slow and not aware that you are there I really think you can get away with a lot more. I’m not proud of it but I shot 2 deer starting out because so many people told me to shoot low to avoid them jumping the string. Neither even flinched and my arrow went right under their chest lol!

I’m curious how it’ll work out with this being my first year hunting full on traditional. I plan to be closer to the deer but I’ll be shooting a slower and heavier arrow. Probably aim for bottom 1/3 at an angle from a treestand.

I think the safest shot to go for is a low heart shot. That way if they drop you should get them through the lungs. If they don't drop you get a heart shot. I had a buck broadside at 12 yards and looking at me when I hit full draw two season's back. I was on the ground, and he was looking dead at me, and I just knew he would drop the instant I let the string go so I aimed under his armpit behind the front leg. I assumed this is where his vitals would be when the arrow got there. He didn't twitch and the arrow sailed right under his body, just where I was aiming. You just never know.

I have also had seemingly calm deer swap ends so fast you wouldn't believe it.

Back