• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One Stick Recommendation

chaded

I have been combing through this forum and the internet for the past couple days and I believe I have information overload to the point I have become slightly nauseous. So I was hoping for some recommendations for a one stick. The plan is to use a lwcg the fix platform, one stick climb and rappel down. I have been looking at EWO and OOAL sticks and they look nice but I didn’t know if having the bigger platform type step on top would be redundant since I am using the lwcg platform? Just thought I’d get some ideas. Thanks.

Nothing at all wrong with using say an EWO Ultimate one stick along with a platform to the side, or above it by its self. Or possibly a ring of steps around the one stick to work your way around the tree better.

I’ve only used the EWO stick, and started out like you’re talking about, using a platform in conjunction with it. One hunt I forgot my platform and hunted all day off the angled UP top. I never took my platform with me again. I found I didn’t need it. I will be adding 3-4 squirrel steps with the one stick next season.

I don’t think you will find a better one stick than the EWO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you're planning on a separate platform and spending most of your hunting time on it then I see no reason to spend the dollars for a dedicated one stick with a platform of its own.

I one stick climb on a short Hawk Helium with a single step aider and use it in conjunction with a EDP platform once at height. I did add a Harken 150 cam cleat to the helium for ease of release on the climb but even that isn't really "necessary", I just find it worth the convenience. I think I may have just over $100 in the whole climbing stick set up and I've been using it for 4 or 5 years now with no issues.

I think pretty much any double step climbing stick could be easily modified to work as your one stick if your only intention is climbing on it. I have a buddy who one stick climbs an a short Beast stick he put a Harken and a single step aider on. It works great too.

The downside of using this stick setup is that you'll need to carry your platform to hunt. Standing on the steps of the stick alone for any real length of time is uncomfortable, at least for me. With a dedicated one stick with a integral platform you have the option of just carrying the stick and leaving the platform behind if you wanted to.

For me though I like the combination. After I'm set up I leave the sick on the back side of the tree so I can step over to it if I need to move around the tree. Since I spend most of my time on the platform I stay comfortable there. If I need to step over to the stick for a shot or to hide behind the tree for a deer passing my feet can take standing on the top steps for that short time.

A short video of the climb with the helium.

I am climbing with my XOP platform added a shaffer cam cleat.

Attachments

• 20240317_122811.jpg
    20240317_122811.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240317_112058.jpg
    20240317_112058.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back