• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

one sticking on pines

Dmathews87

I have an area thats almost all pine and took my one stick gear with me...while doable, it obviously made more noise than say an oak or other hardwood due to the bark. It was evening sit and i setup early and slow so i wasnt too worried about it....anybody one sticking pines or am i the only crazy one?

I have an area thats almost all pine and took my one stick gear with me...while doable, it obviously made more noise than say an oak or other hardwood due to the bark. It was evening sit and i setup early and slow so i wasnt too worried about it....anybody one sticking pines or am i the only crazy one?
Nope. Avoid them at all costs, but I’ve seen other on here that do….most asking how to get pine sap off their gear lol. Word is the sap isn’t a problem unless you climb the same tree twice.

I killed my first public land deer one sticking a pine. I hate climbing pines because of the sap gets all over my ropes and sticks/platform, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

The largest buck I've ever seen on the hoof on public land was after one sticking up a pine tree on the transition between a stand of pines and oaks. I can't speak to our mutual sanities but you're not the only one :tearsofjoy:

I don’t glaze my ropes in honey for a reason and I don’t climb pine trees for a reason.

Sorry haha that’s probably not helpful but no seriously as was said I avoid pines at all costs. I tried one sticking one once and it was awful. Loud bark, messy gear, branches everywhere, way too much work to achieve relatively little height.

I hate it.

Look, man, if a pine is the tree then a pine is getting climbed. The secret is go slow and remove the strap instead of sliding the stick up with the strap loose. Place the stick where you want it and tighten the strap.

yeah thinking pines get the sticks, especially if its gonna be a morning sit or near bedding...never really had a problem with sap using sticks and my tether but i can see that happening...im playing around with a hybrid method where i use my 2 lone wolf sticks and my 16'' stick with scout platform. I'll still have the benefit of moving that shorter stick higher if i need to and will still use a tether\rappel line.

Coons and squirrels make lots of noise in them too....I don't believe it's a noise they would associate with danger to an extent. I try to avoid pines but there's normally no way around it. I don't "1 stick" but my stuff is similar....I have set up and torn down with deer in eyesight/hearing range.while in a pine tree so it can be done.

Weldabeast tip of the day: whenever u get all ur stuff first set up go ahead and precrunch all the bark in the area of ur knees around as much of the trunk as u can so u don't get accidental bark flakes crunching when deer are coming close

Back