• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One sticking with Kong Duck

Canderson

Is anyone one sticking with a kong duck instead of a madrock safe guard? Just curious... I plan on switching to a figure 8 up in the tree when its time to repel down.

Unless you can keep your tether 100% slack free, don't do it. During a fall with slack, the Duck has the potential to strip the sheath from your rope, sending you down.

I have two kongs. One is on my lineman's belt that I do use when one sticking. The other is on my tether I use at hanging out. Personally I feel more comfortable with rope to rope hitch when one sticking. Should I fall, I have seen videos where mech. Devices really damage the rope.
Also one of my ducks gummed up last season, and was not clamping onto the rope. I was a few feet up messing around with something, and the rope kept sliding out. Took 10-12" to catch and stop. Prussic knot is pretty fail safe. IMO.

How would you self rescue if something went wrong and you needed to descend quickly if you were on a kong? Not trying to be a smart arse, genuinely curious.

How would you self rescue if something went wrong and you needed to descend quickly if you were on a kong? Not trying to be a smart arse, genuinely curious.
Trusty knife and my repel rope and figure 8

Back