• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Opinions Best lightweight double step stick, that is buckle-less friendly

bro.betterley

Just like it says i need your feed back, I have own EWO, Tethrd, Novix minis, hawk helium, and just got a set of lwcg 17 inch that aren't going to make the cut.

Just want to know what you guys are using, I know many recommend beast sticks, but I hate buckles, but also hate surprises when you step on a lose stick climbing down even more!

Are the beast sticks versa strap friendly?

I mean what was the problem with those that you tried? I run the novix minis with 1/4” Amsteel and they don’t budge. I’m sure you can use the beast sticks without the buckles if you end up going with them but what problems are you having cause those are basically all of the major sticks out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get the stealth strip kit for buckles if you’re worried about noise with the buckles. Works awesome. Hate to say but I haven’t found a more secure option than the old fashioned buckle straps yet. Confidence in the safety of my gear is priority over light weight for me.

I'm a pretty big fan of the novix mini's with rope mod and moveable 2 step aider. I only carry 3 sticks and it gets me plenty high enough. I like the rope mod because it's cheap and easy to replace every few years and effective. Have had full length heliums and WE steps before those.

Have you considered adding cam cleats to any of those sticks vs buying all new one's? I added cam cleats & 3/16″ full bury Amsteel rope to my shikars. Makes a huge difference. Super easy to do.

I have the OOAL Shiker folding sticks that work great and also just traded this spring for a set of four LWCG double step sticks. The LWCG work great with amsteel rope mode using just the tabs on each side. No buckle method so I didn't mount the buttons to the LWCG sticks. I covered the tabs and the center section of each stick with vet wrap to keep the edges of the stick from abrading the amsteel ropes. They stack quite well too and I just use a Nite eyes gear tie around them to keep them from slapping each other when packing in. I may stealth strip them but the vet wrap seems to be working ok. I just vet wrapped the section around the tie off tabs of the stick not the whole stick. As far as the Shikar's they fold up awesomely and are a breeze to carry quietly. I pair them up with gear ties as well, two on each side. However, I haven't really used climbing sticks in three years as I've been one sticking for all of my saddle hunting. I wanted a late season set up for bulky clothes like my IWOM.

Last edited:
Back