• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Organization, especially for LWHC users

HugeBull

Feb 27, 2020
OK, I have ben struggling with getting my junk organized and am your seeking advice.

First, let me introduce my current gear and (lack of) organization: I carry all my stuff in a Camelback pack that I added a second water bottle holder to. My kill kit and non-saddle emergency gear goes in the pack with my extra clothing, food, etc. My LWHC goes in the shove-it pocket, and to accommodate it better, I have added an extra length and quick release buckle to one of its side straps. My LWHC is equipped with the standard seat cushion, an aider, paracord emergency connection, and I also add a knee cushion for the tree. My "saddle" is a RCH that I wear in, and I connect my LB and tether to the gear loops (no containment). (Yes, I plan to convert to a real saddle this year...) I also have a small bag of paracord for my pull up rope attached to the RCH gear loops. My HYS is a daisy chain of webbing with a Hero clip, generally kept on or in my pack. I also carry an extra carabiner (maybe two?). On archery hunts, I attach a quiver to my pack.

To some of you, this may seem OK, but I am struggling at the tree. I hate sitting anything down on the ground at my tree, especially my pack, as the back of it gets stinky. (Years ago, I literally had a doe spook by smelling the ground where I sat my pack.) Now I try to set only my bow or gun on the ground, and I would love to avoid that. I also hate the clink of metal to metal, and spooked one deer in pre-dawn from this in archery season.

So, I come to the tree, lean my weapon against it, pull my pack off and extract my LWHC. Then I try to balance it while I put my pack back on, and then put my HC on the tree. After attaching a haul cord to my weapon, I tether up and climb into the HC, and begin my ascent. Once at height, I deploy my HYS strap, connect my pack to the loose end, and connect my Hero to a convenient loop. Then I haul up my weapon, put it on the Hero, and begin to add/change clothes if necessary.

My descent is similar, but I have tried to avoid lowering my weapon during hunting light. I tried connecting my compound to the LWHC by the riser but could not manage the HC that way. So, I have just connected it to my pack with the shove it pocket, but I worry about buggering up a sight or rest. For gun season, I have unloaded my rifle and used my sling to put it on my back, but now what to do with my pack? So, I tried hanging my pack from my waist, but it is too long and interferes with the HC.

I have seen several threads on here about packs and organization in general, but wondered if any one who uses a LWHC had better suggestions. As others have pointed out, the LWHC seems like it could make a great "frame" for a pack, but I have not seen anyone post further on this idea. My seat and tree cushions could provide sufficient padding. Without the LWHC and shoulder straps attached, the pack of gear, food, clothes would be pretty light, but where and how do I connect it? I liked Redbeard's chest rig, but it doesn't seem large enough to even manage all my hot weather stuff. A sling or fanny pack might work OK in warmer weather, but in colder temps I need more clothes than I wear in. This is usually covered with a puff jacket and some rain pants, which I might add are a bit challenging to get on while standing on a LWHC platform. (Anyone else considered a hunting skirt? Something easy but short of the sleeping bag option...)

Though I have had a successful season, with many great opportunities on young deer passed or blown, I would really like your help refining my system for 2021. While this will not make me a better hunter, it would help eliminate some frustration, which should equate to better hunting experiences. And, should I get an opportunity on a wise old buck, I'd like to be as prepared as possible. I sure hope that some of you can help. Thanks.

Hugh

Razorbak66

Oct 17, 2019
Yes there are several threads on packs and while I would mention the alps pursuit pack as a choice but have you thought of clipping your LWHC to your pack and when you get to tree you unclip from pack without putting on ground then attatch your climber to tree and place your pack on the climber as a shelf then unpack what you need and clip things to you or pouch without placing on ground. Now I one stick and do something similar. I clip my stick to tree then place my pack on stick take what need immediately and either put my weapon on pack by clipping it in depending what pack I took that morning or using my pull rope and clip to my weapon of choice to my saddle loop which I wear in and put my pack on and take my tether out from my pouch on hip and proceed to climb. Nothing touched the ground other than my weapon and feet and once I get to height I take my strap and attatch to tree and hang my bag on it and set up pull my weapon up if still on ground and hunt. In all from set up to hunt takes me 15 minutes and I’m going slow not to work up a sweat. And when I’m done I reverse everything and rappel down grabbing my stick on way down

HugeBull

Feb 27, 2020
What you describe is basically what I do, but my "clipping" to my pack may be a bit different than what you have in mind. However, I just thought of first attaching my tether to the tree, then pulling my pack off and attaching it to the tether. Then I should easily be able to pull out my LWHC and get it set up. When I am ready to climb, just put my pack on my back, attach tether to my RCH/saddle and climb. Still not 100% on how to manage bow/gun, but this might work better than my last climb.

Razorbak66

Oct 17, 2019
I get home I will try to take a picture of my “clips” On my pack I have a spot that can attatch to either my gun or bow and I have just carried my LWHC in my hand as well when I did have one and lately I have been doing that with my stick/platform as I get to tree I just attatch to tree tether up and start climbing nothing is touching ground