• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pack for Winter Gear

nhm6408

I've been reading forum post after forum post trying to find a pack to carry my gear but cant' really find what I'm looking for. I have the First Lite Sanctuary set I'm looking to haul along with sticks and predator platform. That's pretty much it. I have the AGC Scout pack for early fall but it just barely holds my jacket. I have to stuff it in there and it makes it so uncomfortable to haul out there. I live in the middle of the UP and have nothing around except Dunham's (which sucks for hunting gear) to go and check out packs. I don't care about meat hauling or anything like that. Pretty much very late season whitetail hunting only The Kuiu Venture 2300 looks nice but I don't think it'll hold my bibs and coat. The new Divide 3000 might be good but it's so new that I haven't seen a review. The Eberlestock X2 was my other thought.

I doubt you’ll go this way, but as a discount option I have like a ten year old Osprey pack I use all the time for scouting with a backpack full of cams and stuff, anything heavy, etc. I also have a Sanctuary set and when late season comes I start using it for hunting. It’s super light and carries awesome. Yes for most of the season I want a smaller pack with cool looking camo and stuff but heck I might be better off just to use my Osprey for everything it works so well. For late season use I don’t think you’d get more bang for the buck than a used backpacking rig. But of course there’s plenty of tempting more expensive hunting rigs too.AAA360A0-48FB-4D2B-93EE-82440388CCF8.jpeg

I'm interested in hearing about this as well.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Get on camofire, they have mystery ranch packs on huge discount right now. The Popup 28 or 38 would be my pick. I have the 38 and will sandwich my coat in the Meat shelf

I just ordered a 38 off camofire. I've been resisting for awhile but couldn't take it any longer with gun season approaching. Guess it's time to head back over to the support thread.

Get on camofire, they have mystery ranch packs on huge discount right now. The Popup 28 or 38 would be my pick. I have the 38 and will sandwich my coat in the Meat shelf

Thanks for that! Just ordered one. $207 instead of $375 hell yeah!

Looks like the OP found what he wanted, but…

I’ve got a Kifaru 14r that, for me, seems to be the perfect late season pack. Pick them up used on Rokslide or the like and save some coin.

I doubt you’ll go this way, but as a discount option I have like a ten year old Osprey pack I use all the time for scouting with a backpack full of cams and stuff, anything heavy, etc.

YES!!!! Finally!! Someone else is hip to osprey packs.

I have a stratos that is freaking perfect for saddle hunting. Been recommending them for years on here…

YES!!!! Finally!! Someone else is hip to osprey packs.

I have a stratos that is freaking perfect for saddle hunting. Been recommending them for years on here…
The Popup 38 has me tempted today… but if I’m honest with myself the old Osprey has way more in-bag capacity than the 38, and weighs a little less. I’ve been hunting mainly with a Huntworth Hickory this year and I do like the different compartments, and it camo, but a lot of that organization can be accomplished with multiple lightweight zipper bags hanging in the Osprey, and as far as carrying even moderate weight the comfort comparison isn’t even close. There’s a few of us out here!

I went with the Eberlestock F1 mainframe tall and 2 Batwings. Most of my inner layering stuff goes in the batwings along with kill kit, food, handwarmers, etc. Sanctuary bibs and my jacket get strapped on top of my one stick or platform. I'll snap a pic tomorrow morning and post it at some point.

I have an Osprey daypack that's green, but it's too small. My main backpacking pack is bright blue, so that's out too!

The Popup 38 has me tempted today… but if I’m honest with myself the old Osprey has way more in-bag capacity than the 38, and weighs a little less. I’ve been hunting mainly with a Huntworth Hickory this year and I do like the different compartments, and it camo, but a lot of that organization can be accomplished with multiple lightweight zipper bags hanging in the Osprey, and as far as carrying even moderate weight the comfort comparison isn’t even close. There’s a few of us out here!
How are you filling up a 38? Honest question cause I am considering taking the bag off and just using the canvas strap thing

How are you filling up a 38? Honest question cause I am considering taking the bag off and just using the canvas strap thing
Most times I’m hanging in both a saddle and an RC harness (safety), so those plus the Sanctuary bibs and Woodbury jacket, maybe Arctic Shield boot covers. Maybe a rain set. Sometimes add a camera arm. Sometimes I have boots hanging off the thing because I’m going up a river in hip waders. So in October the small pack works, but by December I can just about fill a pack up pretty easy. Yes most of that stuff could be strapped to a pack, but as light as many higher volume packs still are, why strap it all on when you can just stash it. Aren’t you hauling some junk in during late season?

Edit: forgot about some decent calories in a flat tupperware bin when out all day, plus a medium sized coffee tumbler.

I just strap my heavier outer layers to the outside of my backpack. Two sets of 1” webbing with ITW buckles and it’s all good. Can strap anything on the outside of the pack - bibs, jacket, insulation layers, etc. Very easy, no need to buy a huge pack.

The Popup 38 is 2320cu-ins(@5.3lbs)

Just for reference, I went with a Kuiu Pro 3600, which is 3600cu-ins (@4.5lbs) and personally I wouldn't want less space if I was to pack outer layers in the bag itself.

Here it is with Incinerator bibs and Fanatic Jacket, only, in the bag.

I have the Popup28 and it is a different animal, a day-pack frame-pack transformer type. I do like it for what it is, with a replacement hip belt.

What's interesting is, sucked down, the 3600 Kuiu pack seems to have a noticeably skinnier profile than even the Popup28, although it is a bit taller. As much as the 28 makes it's mark as a convertible day pack, the 3600 isn't a pack that's going to stick out like a sore thumb when hung in a tree (and has the upside of handling heavier loads better than a popup imo).

I have a Kifaru Gnargali coming. Probably can fit a Heater Body Suit in it, lol. It's a lot of bag for the weight. I guess I'm just curious to see what that looks like. My Duplex Lite is currently set up with the Stryker XL, at 1900cu-ins. It's a bit smaller than the Popup38, but not too far off the mark. When I use it, outer layers get dumped in the meat shelf.

DDDF79E5-9944-4FA9-80D0-1BDE8E20762E.png

The Popup 38 is 2320cu-ins(@5.3lbs)

Just for reference, I went with a Kuiu Pro 3600, which is 3600cu-ins (@4.5lbs) and personally I wouldn't want less space if I was to pack outer layers in the bag itself.

Here it is with Incinerator bibs and Fanatic Jacket, only, in the bag.

I have the Popup28 and it is a different animal, a day-pack frame-pack transformer type. I do like it for what it is, with a replacement hip belt.

What's interesting is, sucked down, the 3600 Kuiu pack seems to have a noticeably skinnier profile than even the Popup28, although it is a bit taller. As much as the 28 makes it's mark as a convertible day pack, the 3600 isn't a pack that's going to stick out like a sore thumb when hung in a tree (and has the upside of handling heavier loads better than a popup imo).
As the several Kuiu sales came and went this year I was real tempted as well… I think for maybe 60%+ of my hunts I might as well have a decent frame pack on… they carry so well and if you don’t need the space just cinch em down. And let’s say you’re fairly minimalist carrying 10ish lbs of gear total, with a pack that weighs 5ish lbs you’re still going to barely feel what’s on your back. Lotta options and preferences out there, but I think I’m coming to the conclusion that I pretty much always want a frame.

Back