• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Padded sit drag

Fi5herman

For the people that are using the camping type pads on their sit drag how much better is it. I already think it's pretty comfortable but if the pad helps that much I'll do the mod

I find that padding makes the most difference in the minimalist saddles in the hips... Where the bridge wants to pull into center to meet the tether. With the Sit N Drag, I also find it is helpful across the bottom and legs. I have Anderson which I prefer to use three or four of the "horizontal straps". I also have a home made sling (Ken Sling) that I really like and it has three horizontal straps.

Take my thoughts with a grain of salt:
My preference when I am set up with the SnD, I sit in it like a swing.
I have not sat in it more than an hour or so, never on a hunt. Just used for scouting/sitting in the woods for fresh air, practice shooting, testing my mods, platforms, tether/bridge lengths, etc.
I have played with a half dozen or more different Sit n Drag set ups playing around with them.

Others have spent more time in them in the woods. A few guys probably have 4 hour sits in one both with and without the foam. I would take their advice over mine. But thought I'd share. It's a cheap and easy mod. And if you just stitch the elastic in to hold the foam, it can always be cut out... or just send to me and I will send you a brand new sit drag...
Plus, it will provide insulation on those cold days. So if you sew in the elastic, then you have the option. Leave it out if you don't think it adds comfort. Put it in when you want a warm butt.

Good luck this season.

Well Maustypsu made me one with the padding and I will say yeah you could remove it but i think it adds just the right touch of comfortability. I have sat in mine for a few hours in the backyard and it is the bees knees so to speak absolutely love it.

I haven't hunted with my pad in yet. I'm waiting for cooler weather. I don't need it for comfort, but maybe it would make it even better.

Well i did not think it was too warm. I think the pad does serve a dual purpose. First like Maustypsu stated with helping to relieve some hip pinch and too the canvas material would feel colder in cool weather so yes to some insulation material. I honestly don't see the pad generating to much heat. Although if it wasn't in the 30's here i would be able to further test this.

Is that the blue camp padding that I have seen on the youtube mod?

You can use any closed cell foam. In G2's vids, yes it is the blue camping pad. We stitch in some elastic straps to hold it in place while walking/adjusting on stand. So the foam can slide in and out easily

Back