• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Parker's Muddy Pro Stick Modification

longbowwoman

SH Member
Hi everyone. My name is Parker and have been looking for a way to lighten my Muddy Pro Sticks. I thought about waiting to get a hold of a couple Beast Sticks then realized the distance between the steps is 22". I am a woman and am only 5'4" so that is a long stretch especially with gear. The Muddy's a perfect stick for climbing, for me, except the weight. Each stick weighs 3lbs. I am about to post how I got my Muddy's down to 2lbs! I created 2 versions. One with a DIY versa button and the other with leaving the cam cleats on. The latter, with cam cleats still significantly reduced the weight to 2lbs 4oz! Keep in mind. any modifications you make to your equipment may put you in danger of having an accident or hurting yourself. So with that said, here is what I did.stick 1.jpg

First I stripped everything down off of the stick that is to be used with the versa button. I learned this from DIY Sportsman.
stick 2.jpg

Then the hardware I used is 15/16" x 2" cap head screws, washers with corresponding diameter holes and corresponding size steel spacers. I could not find any 3/8" long spacers so I had to cut them down to that size. This is to accomodate 1/4" amsteel blue as the attachment to the tree. It cinches down perfectly with this size.stick 3.JPG

They are a tad snug and you may struggle to get them to fit onto the stick so I just filed them enough so they slide down flush onto the sticks. I put each into the vice and filed.

stick 8.JPG

I cannot condone such activities!!! The cam cleats are the only thing worth having on the muddy pros!!!! Lol
I would be interested in sending you raw 1 x1x1/8 wall sticks to trade for your muddy pro sticks with the cam cleats on them. If your interested. I may be interested in you standoffs also
There are ways to lighten muddy like take the folding steps and toss them and put DanO steps on should get you to 2lba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is what I did only I kept the cam cleats and used some double steps that I designed. Mine is 2lbs 9oz.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190915-132246.png
    Screenshot_20190915-132246.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 214
  • Screenshot_20190915-132242.png
    Screenshot_20190915-132242.png
    1 MB · Views: 205
  • Screenshot_20190914-111653.png
    Screenshot_20190914-111653.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 197
Now I spliced a loop in 1/4" amsteel for the one stick. The other stick you will see I left the cam cleats on 2lb 4oz total weight. The one with amsteel is 2lbs. I have not decided which way I would like to go with my other 4 sticks. I like the 2 pound stick and I also like the Muddy cam cleat system. Now I will post pics of both on the tree.

11.JPG12.JPG13.JPG14.JPG15.JPG

My next step is to paint them. Just wanted to share with you all. I have enjoyed what suggestions others have posted on this site. A lot of you guys have been extremely helpful to me and am very grateful that you all share your knowledge with others so we can evolve into a better saddlehunters. Thats the true sportsman! Thank you!

Now I spliced a loop in 1/4" amsteel for the one stick. The other stick you will see I left the cam cleats on 2lb 4oz total weight. The one with amsteel is 2lbs. I have not decided which way I would like to go with my other 4 sticks. I like the 2 pound stick and I also like the Muddy cam cleat system. Now I will post pics of both on the tree.

View attachment 16603View attachment 16604View attachment 16605View attachment 16606View attachment 16607
My next step is to paint them. Just wanted to share with you all. I have enjoyed what suggestions others have posted on this site. A lot of you guys have been extremely helpful to me and am very grateful that you all share your knowledge with others so we can evolve into a better saddlehunters. Thats the true sportsman! Thank you!
I am stoked to see our ladies getting into the DIY you did a fantastic job!! I love this site more and more every day!!!

Would it not have been cheaper to just buy a cam cleat and square tubing? They look cool either way. Murph those look amazing. Im gonna have to look into that set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back