• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Permethrin & Activated Carbon

red2delta

I am unaware of this topic being brought up anywhere.I follow John Eberharts posts, listen to his podcasts, and am currently reading my first book of his . In Oklahoma in early October and November, chiggers and ticks are in abundance. In past seasons I have used Sawyers Permethrin Spray to treat my hunting clothing. I am currently starting to invest in ScentLok clothing and am curious if permethrin has any or no effect on activated carbon (ScentLok) clothing? I have read that it does not because the permethrin bonds with the fabric, rather than filling the activated carbon pores, but it was from some random person on AT.
Could anyone give me some insight or reference on this topic?
I am hoping @John Eberhart could chime in on this one to intrigue us all.

Link to the Sawyer's Permethrin Spray I use.
https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Perme...1506534790&sr=8-4&keywords=sawyers+permethrin

Thanks @GCTerpfan
I read that thread but there was never any good information brought out of it other than MCDM calling ScentLok and them pulling the CYA answer on him lol. I do spray my undergarments as well, but the whole idea of the permethrin is to make them fall off of your outer layer. To be honest, i would rather risk the effectiveness of my ScentLok to keep ticks and chiggers off of me and I will most likely continue to spray my clothes, but I am just trying to learn if it has any science behind it. I am doing my own research as well, but it never hurts to ask on here to see what others have found.

I was hoping to raise some more voices here because I can imagine alot of guys use permethrin in the early season.

I would rather run every deer in the country off then have chiggers the way I do right now because I didn't use permethrin on my pants two Saturdays ago. This Sunday I shot a doe with scent loc and a half gallon of permethrin on them. They came in down wind and stayed under me for 15 min.
I mix my own from Martin 10% of amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curious what John will say too - but hunting in Michigan, he likely doesn't have the need like those of us in the south - still would love to know his thoughts - my bet would be he does not recommend it. I've never done it on scent-lok either

Permethrin is the best thing that ever happened in my opinion. I agree with ImThere, it's going on my clothes. There is much to be said for hunting in the south during early season and walking away unscathed.

Permethrin is a foreign smell to deer. Mature bucks and foreign smells don't generally mix. But maybe if the scentlok is catching your human smell, they won't be deterred by the permethrin.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

doesn't the stuff dry to an odorless state?

Then you just throw it in the dryer and you should be good to go.

Heck...ozone it, then throw it in the dryer

Shoot.... ozone it, throw it in the dryer then shake it up with a bunch of coconut carbon.

Should do it

doesn't the stuff dry to an odorless state? (never had the courage)

Then you just throw it in the dryer and you should be good to go.

This is what my thought is. I know I can smell permitherine when it's wet, but I can't smell it at all when it's dry. It seems to me that once it's dry if you stick your clothes in the dry and activate the carbon that should take care of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I look at it this way. I do not care if I ever shoot a buck again if I have to get eaten by chiggers to do it. I wore untreated pants Saturday before last. I have been miserable for two weeks I'm a giant red raised bumpy itchy mess from my waist to my ankles. I feel like I have the chicken pox x1000.
I feel like a dumbass leaving my treated scent loc in the truck because it was hot.
Like I said before I shot a doe that came in down wind and stayed under me for 15 min before the shot. I was wearing scent loc with 1/2 gallon of permethrin and a Thermacell.

I look at it this way. I do not care if I ever shoot a buck again if I have to get eaten by chiggers to do it. I wore untreated pants Saturday before last. I have been miserable for two weeks I'm a giant red raised bumpy itchy mess from my waist to my ankles. I feel like I have the chicken pox x1000.
I feel like a dumbass leaving my treated scent loc in the truck because it was hot.
Like I said before I shot a doe that came in down wind and stayed under me for 15 min before the shot. I was wearing scent loc with 1/2 gallon of permethrin and a Thermacell.

Guys, I just received an answer from John Eberhart, about permithrin on scent Lok clothing. He says they do not recommend it, rather a thermacell, instead. Just information I'm passing on, use it as you will.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Guys, I just received an answer from John Eberhart, about permithrin on scent Lok clothing. He says they do not recommend it, rather a thermacell, instead. Just information I'm passing on, use it as you will.

They do realize that a Thermacell is for flying bugs and will not do anything for chiggers or ticks?

They do realize that a Thermacell is for flying bugs and will not do anything for chiggers or ticks?

Just saying. That's what the -MAN- , told me. He is very, very familiar with Scent Lok, so, when he speaks, I listen.

I hear you. And I understand But when it come to chiggers. I am the man. Thermacell DOES NOT WORK FOR CHIGGERS!!!!!!!!

Gotcha ! I guess , all I was saying is, he said they don't recommend spraying your scentlok clothing, with it. There are probably alternatives to using under your outer wear, somehow.

Well I guess I should return the two sets of Scent lok I just ordered before I try them on. I'm not going out there without permitherine on. I suppose any clothing will do then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gotcha ! I guess , all I was saying is, he said they don't recommend spraying your scentlok clothing, with it. There are probably alternatives to using under your outer wear, somehow.

Man, I m just bustin your balls.

I do wear permethrin on my scent loc I don't think it has any adverse affects on my clothing.

Man, I m just bustin your balls.

I do wear permethrin on my scent loc I don't think it has any adverse affects on my clothing.

And it probably doesn't. They have no idea either. No scientists have done studies of permethrin effects on carbon for SL to base their science on.
So they just say not recommended because "we don't really know"

Last edited:
Just found this thread

I actually had to call Scent Lok and ask the question for quadro because I'd never heard of the permethrin and yes, have never had issues with chiggers and ticks up here. Ticks out west, yes but not here yet for me anyway. I have had fellow hunters say they have had ticks here in Michigan, but I haven't.

The pro staff and tech guy at Scent Lok said they have been asked about permethrin quite a bit and said it degrades the glue which is used to bond the 2 fabrics that sandwich the activated carbon liner. As the glue degrades the carbon doesn't stay in its place and then there becomes areas with no carbon coverage and also some carbon will escape.

Sorry, that's all I got and obviously the Thermocell is worthless on ticks and chiggers.

Back