• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Phantom for a dope on a rope....

DeathFromAbove

Hey all - quick question for any phantom users.

How many of you SRT (or any other rope style ascent) are using a phantom as your harness? (I've seen a video or two of folks doing it - but not sure to what extent...). How comfortable are you making transitions of any type, in regards to being concerned about coming out of the saddle (or just getting poorly positioned on it). say something like shifting your weight off of your hand/foot ascender and onto the saddle but finding yourself positioned more forward so as to be relying on the leg straps to keep you in?

I've been doing SRT'ish style for a while now (hand ascender with a length of tubing to my foot + a grigri or other capture devices on my harness), but have always used a rock climbing harness and just tied on a sit drag once I got to height to have a better seat. Now I've just gotten myself a brand new phantom, so I could have a proper saddle, love it out of the box, but quickly realized that it doesn't feel quite the same as a rock harness in terms of it being stuck to you - like not being over the hip bones... (not sure this would go well if one were to get too far backwards in one of these)

I haven't actually taken it for a climb yet - just got it yesterday, but playing around in the garage I'm kind of thinking I might stick with a harness underneath and use it just as a seat once I'm up and can keep my back side consistently and firmly connected to it, but wanted to see how others comfort level was ascending/descending in it as I know for myself it takes me a little to adjust and get comfortable with new equipment

I just started climbing drt couple months ago. Not using any mechanical ascenders, I feel completely safe all the time. I climb everyday for practice. It's actually getting easy to do. I use a homemade saddle.

I one stick with my predator! I also have the phantom. I have never used rock harnesses. I’ve never felt like I was going to fall out of the phantom though. I am new this year to saddle hunting. So I did the sit at ground level and try to fall out of it stuff. If you haven’t done this I recommend for sure. Greg at G2outdoors has a video on it it’s pretty funny lol. I definitely couldn’t fall out of it. I also have only sat in phantom H2 saddle and TL lite. So I can’t compare comfort too much other then the phantom is super comfortable to me. I descend with a safeguard and it’s super easy and comfortable. I’ve done 4-6 hour sits so far and have very little complaints. I don’t SRT or DRT. But We are having a meet here in a few weeks and plan to try them both with my phantom. I actually have all the gear to try SRT. I just been working way too much lately. I will post back up with my experience with it after our meet here on the 27th.

I am a diehard RCH guy and had trouble getting over it when the mantis came out. I relapsed quickly.

Recently I purchased a Recon sling and have been modifying it to work with my system. To be honest though I’m still Jones’n for that RCH safety but I think with time I will get over it. At least the Recon can be put way above the hips or anywhere you want it.

Wirrex, I think that's what I'm sensing - being able to really cinch down above your hip bones; I've spent lots of time in a harness / swiss seat over the years, even before I took to the trees, this is just a little different - I must be getting older and new things are getting harder :rolleyes:

I'll shut up and just go climb now. Thanks guys for the confidence nudge!

Back