• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform climbing

Ballshooter

I am still trying new things to find out what I like best. .So far one sticking has been my thing but I have been practicing 2T/C an like it a lot. So today I tried climbing with my XOP Edge platform, I put a shaffer cam cleat on it and a two step aider. Was not as fast as a one stick but speed was not my concern just comfort.in a climb. Will play with it some more before season starts.

Attachments

• 20240317_122811.jpg
    20240317_122811.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 20240317_112058.jpg
    20240317_112058.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 110
Like the idea behind it. Keep us posted on the progress.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Did a few more climbs the past few days I like it so far. The shaffer cam cleat works well thinking about putting a three step amsteal aider on the two step webing aider works but I think three will work better at least with the first set a little higher.

So this is a pre-set long tether technique, correct? Your rope is installed in the tree and you have a short period of hanging suspended while moving the platform upward to the next height level. Then using the aiders to achieve more height before stepping to the platform....rinse and repeat. Do I have this correct? If so......how much exertion does it take to get to desired height? I break a sweat pretty easy and have to take it slow setting sticks in warmer weather.....just curious about other climbing options.

It's just like one sticking but with a platform I set platform climb aider step on platform. Move tether repeat In three moves I am16 feet. I use a JRB cinch on my tether if I use a pole to set the tether I can get 20 feet with only two moves of the tether and 4 moves of the platform. Technically if you don't count the first climb from the ground to platform it would one less. Not sure what you mean by pre set long tether...if you mean leaving it in the tree no I would never leave any life supporting equipment in a tree way too many tree rat's. I do use a long tether and repel once at hunting hight and the hunt is over. I am 54 and don't find it taxing during the climb.

Last edited:
So we went from branches to rope to ladder to sticks to one stick, to rope stick(2TC), to one platform climbing, the way I see it, next comes one treestand climbing (1TC) followed by baker climber.

It's just like one sticking but with a platform I set platform climb aider step on platform. Move tether repeat In three moves I am16 feet. I use a JRB cinch on my tether if I use a pole to set the tether I can get 20 feet with only two moves of the tether and 4 moves of the platform. Technically if you don't count the first climb from the ground to platform it would one less. Not sure what you mean by pre set long tether...if you mean leaving it in the tree no I would never leave any life supporting equipment in a tree way too many tree rat's. I do use a long tether and repel once at hunting hight and the hunt is over. I am 54 and don't find it taxing during the climb.
The videos I've watched of one sticking, the climber/hunter uses the top part of a 30-40' rope with a Madrock Safeguard to ascend in increments by moving the platform/stick combo. To descend, they drop the bulk of their rope, wrap up the one stick and attach it to their saddle, and rappel down. I've also seen guys use a pre-set rope or toss ball, then use that rope as their tether going up. Still in the learning mode on the alternate climbing methods beyond sticks, which is how I hunted last fall.

Quite a few posts on here calling it “no-stick” climbing or similar. FYI

The videos I've watched of one sticking, the climber/hunter uses the top part of a 30-40' rope with a Madrock Safeguard to ascend in increments by moving the platform/stick combo. To descend, they drop the bulk of their rope, wrap up the one stick and attach it to their saddle, and rappel down. I've also seen guys use a pre-set rope or toss ball, then use that rope as their tether going up. Still in the learning mode on the alternate climbing methods beyond sticks, which is how I hunted last fall.
Climbing one stick with rope preset at climbing height is not ideal; too much room to swing/harder to balance. Better to advance tether as you climb.

I tried this with a Seeker last spring and had a hard time getting it to break loose. That thing dug in hard! I thinking about trying again with a slight tweak. I will post pics when and if I do.

I tried this with a Seeker last spring and had a hard time getting it to break loose. That thing dug in hard! I thinking about trying again with a slight tweak. I will post pics when and if I do.

Yeah, I toe hook it before I pull it up then pull the rope out of the cleat. Its hard to see in the picture but I put a Nite Ize gear tie on the stand-off.

Climbing one stick with rope preset at climbing height is not ideal; too much room to swing/harder to balance. Better to advance tether as you climb.
I tend to agree. I sometimes do a preset and pull the rope up through a crotch. Works for SRT but when 1 sticking, gravity tends to fight your vertical direction. I can get away doing it if on the right tree.

I wondered about that very issue.....thanks for the insights. Not sure that I will expand my ascent process beyond sticks again this coming fall, but I like to explore options to mull them over before taking the next step.

I wondered about that very issue.....thanks for the insights. Not sure that I will expand my ascent process beyond sticks again this coming fall, but I like to explore options to mull them over before taking the next step.
Its definitely doable and if you use a linesman’s belt you probably won’t have the issue with lateral movement but I don’t like fiddling with them I prefer to just tether in.

Its definitely doable and if you use a linesman’s belt you probably won’t have the issue with lateral movement but I don’t like fiddling with them I prefer to just tether in.
If in the future I decide to try that technique, I think I will stick with my "short" tether on the ascent. That seems more common with less chances for a potential issue.

So we went from branches to rope to ladder to sticks to one stick, to rope stick(2TC), to one platform climbing, the way I see it, next comes one treestand climbing (1TC) followed by baker climber.
Still have a baker so at least I wont have to buy that one. Finally be able to make @redsquirrel proud.

Back