• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform decisions - bigfoots chime in please

Black Titan

Hunted last season on the EWO Ultimate One Stick + Ring of Steps (3 steps at 3,9, and 12 o'clock, platform at 6). Worked ok, but I think I want something with a little more foot room to be able to turn around on, stand up straight on, do the electric slide, etc.

So, I'm in search of a decent size, but light weight platform. I wear a size 12 boot, and my late season insulated boots are huge. I'm 6'1" 275lbs with a "more to love" figure lol. I actually lost 15 pounds last hunting season, got down to 260, but piled it back on over the holidays. Darn egg nog and home made cookies, I tell ya.

My only platform experience has been with the XOP Edge. It seemed to have ok foot room, and I turned around once on it, but ultimately decided to get rid of it due to weight and the fact that it kicked out on me a few times, even with toe hooking.

So here's the list I come up with so far, of what all I can find. I'll start with the edge, since that's the one I have experience with.

XOP Edge - 13.75" x 11" - 5.4 pounds
TL Mission - 17.9" x 13.8" - 5.4 pounds
TL Onyx - 14.9" x 13" - 4.5 pounds
TL EDP - 13.5" x 13" - 3 lb 13 Oz
Cruzr Seeker - 14.5 x 13.17 - 4.5 pounds
Cruzr Seeker Mini - 11.64 x 13.17 - 3.25 pounds
Predator XL - 13 x 16 - 4 pounds
LWCG Ambush - 16.5 x 14.5 - 4lb 13oz
LWCG Fix - 12 x 12.5 - 3lb 9oz
Arsenal RZR - 11.75 x 10.75 - 2lb 5oz
Arsenal RZR Magnum - 15.75 x 11.25 - 3lb 3oz

Yet to be released -

Arsenal Rzr 2.0 - ? X ? - ?lbs ?Oz
Rzr Magnum 2.0 - ? X ? - ?lbs ?Oz
TL Hyperlite - 12 x 12 - 2.25lbs

My thoughts -

Didn't like the edge.
The mission is big enough for me and a guest, but heavy
Predator XL - decent size, decent weight, but seems I've heard some complaints about them sticking to the tree.
Seeker/mini - good size to weight, but not sure if I would like the angled front. Seems it cuts into the depth.

My short list is:

LWCG Ambush - good size, great weight for size
LWCG Fix - decent size, awesome weight
Onyx - great size to weight ratio

My short- short list

TL EDP - great size, awesome weight
RZR - .25 less depth and 2" less width than Edge, but WOW only 2lb 5oz
RZR Magnum - awesome size but only .25 deeper than my Edge, but barely over 3 pounds and super thin, easily packable, etc.
Hyperlite - all around good size and only 2.25 pounds - WOW but I don't want to be the first lol.

So, thoughts, anyone? Especially ya'll with bigger feet. Easy to do the macarena while up in the tree on any of these?

Would love to hear from folks that have owned/tried more than one of these and hear your impressions.

BT

I don't know where you are located, but can you get to one of the Mobile Hunting Expo's?
If you could try a few it should help.

I don't know where you are located, but can you get to one of the Mobile Hunting Expo's?
If you could try a few it should help.

I'm in TN so I don't think there's one close. PA and FL ain't it?

There's a local archery shop that stocks cruzr and tetherd I believe.

BT

Dalton, GA later this year.

I was reading your posts about your "mission" one stick in the thread that exhumis linked. Interesting. So do you only climb up the aider and bottom step, then move it, or are you climbing all the way up to the post and then moving it?

Have you experimented yet with the cam cleat under the platform?

You mentioned that when you cam the platform, it pulls the bottom standoff away from the tree, so does that mean only the platform is stuck to the tree? Is it stable this way?

BT

I have a size 15 boot and my 1200 gram Lacrosse Alphaburly's are bulky. I've been through this and finally arrived at 2TC paired with the Mission. This keeps weight down and foot room to the max.

Love one sticking on the EWO one stick, but it's just not big enough to move around and make consistent shots for me.

I'm also a big fan of having a single system. Either my system will get me up the tree or I'll hunt the ground. The 2TC covers 90% of my tree's and if it doesn't. A preset ladder would be the only other option.

Food for thought.

I have a size 15 boot and my 1200 gram Lacrosse Alphaburly's are bulky. I've been through this and finally arrived at 2TC paired with the Mission. This keeps weight down and foot room to the max.

Love one sticking on the EWO one stick, but it's just not big enough to move around and make consistent shots for me.

I'm also a big fan of having a single system. Either my system will get me up the tree or I'll hunt the ground. The 2TC covers 90% of my tree's and if it doesn't. A preset ladder would be the only other option.

Food for thought.

Dang a 15 that's crazy. You almost NEED the mission.

I was thinking of playing around with 2tc this year too, just to see if I like it. Always good to have more options.

BT

I meant to say do this.... I wear 14/15.

Attachments

• mission 1 stick.jpg
    mission 1 stick.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 29
I was reading your posts about your "mission" one stick in the thread that exhumis linked. Interesting. So do you only climb up the aider and bottom step, then move it, or are you climbing all the way up to the post and then moving it?

Have you experimented yet with the cam cleat under the platform?

You mentioned that when you cam the platform, it pulls the bottom standoff away from the tree, so does that mean only the platform is stuck to the tree? Is it stable this way?

BT
Yes when you cam it over the bottom step pulls away from the tree, but in turn it locks the mission to the tree the way it was meant to be. The mission is by far the most stable platform I have used. I only climb the 2 step aider and first step. I did it this past weekend and in 3 moves I was over 18ft without extra effort. I am 6'3".

6.26lbs w/ strap according to Greg Staggs.

46:53
I was just going by what he posted in this thread. I am not really worried about a couple pounds. I am trying to kill full sized deer and pack them out of the woods on my back. If I can't carry 6.25 lbs of a stand I shouldn't be killing deer without spots.

I was just going by what he posted in this thread. I am not really worried about a couple pounds. I am trying to kill full sized deer and pack them out of the woods on my back. If I can't carry 6.25 lbs of a stand I shouldn't be killing deer without spots.

It's not carrying the weight in that I mind. I have a decked out Summit Goliath when I choose to carry it in. It's heavy with the extras I've put on it.

I don't like climbing with extra weight hanging off of me. I don't even climb with my pack on, simply because I don't like to. So adding a platform to attach to me while climbing up a tree, I was looking at light weight options so it wouldn't bother me as much. The mission stick may solve that issue all together.

BT

It’s not about you. When someone is making a decision, having the correct information probably helps. I’m just clarifying with some resources for OP’s awareness.

5382F7D4-3CFA-4E48-B5B4-CE3FF879E70E.jpeg

Or I used to climb on my rappel rope. I would attach things to the end of my rope. When I got to height I would pull it up. I hate climbing with extra weight also. Part of the reason for the mission one stick design.

Back