• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform/saddle setup (in tree) angles relative to deer

casts_by_fly

hi gents,

The weak side shots thread got me thinking a little as I was reading the replies. Everyone has different preferences and I'm curious to see how others are setting up relative to wind, deer direction, etc.

For me, I try to set up where there is an area I can put behind me that deer are unlikely to come from. It can be a field, a road, a bluff wall, or just an uninteresting territory of woods. I'll pick my stands based on the wind blowing from me into the uninteresting area. I take care of my scent on my clothes and whatnot, but I recognise that the deer still has the better nose so I'll play the wind game rather than the scent block game. With 90 degrees or so behind me eliminated, I'll normally put that at my 5 o'clock do that I'm generally facing the way I think deer are coming and with a small turn of the head/eyes to each side I can see everything. Thinking on it more, maybe that should be my 3:00 to eliminate 1:30-4:30 as a shot angle?

My other preferred setup is to find a skinny pinch point/funnel and set up on the downwind side with the constriction at my 9-10 o'clock. My logic is that the deer have to come through the pinch so put my best shot angle there. And if the come from the direction I'm facing then I have the tree as cover. If they come from the opposite, that's over my left shoulder and I can rotate counterclockwise a little to see and shoot.

In another thread though, I'm seeing that people like to set up cross wind, with your 9:00 where the deer are coming from (not putting the tree between you), and other differences. I'd love to hear how others are choosing their setup angles and why.

thanks
rick

I do my best to put my back to the wind, thinking that is the area with least chance of deer approach usually try to do the same re: wind direction and "uninteresting" areas. Doesn't always work out that way though. Have shot two deer at 1:30-2 by going over bridge, but also at 7 and 10(mature buck), which were much easier. Have seen deer pretty much every direction around me, sometimes the wind shifts, sometimes the deer go right through downwind and don't react. (Although other than the one noted at 10 the rest were does and button bucks/spikes).

I don't generally care about putting the tree between me and the deer but anywhere 5-1 o'clock facing tree is good for shooting. More behind the tree, I'm leaning in saddle more. More in front, I'm standing on the platform. I usually want my wind blowing into that 2-4 o'clock range where shooting can get ticky. That's why I like the .5 so much though, I set up where I have to and find a way to make it work. Often the right tree for killing a deer isn't the ideal tree to make a nice comfy stand and you just have to adapt.

I generally want the expected deer travel area in the 10 to 2 position with my easy shot range being in the 8 to 12 zone. I want the wind hitting to from the expected area of travel even though I do use Scentlok and do believe it is effective. I use a ring of steps only so it is fairly easy to just slide around the side of the tree to get that 1 to 2 o'clock shot. The buck I got on the 8th of last month was in that 12 to 1 o'clock position and I watched him from behind the tree, along with three other deer, two does and an 8 point until i was ready to draw behind the tree and slowly swing out.

As a side note I had deer all around me all day that day and that 110 inch 8 point came over and walked directly under my tree after I killed the bigger 7 point just a couple of minutes earlier. The 7 pointer was lying dead 40 yards away. I wasn't all that high in the tree. Maybe 18 to 20 feet but I had good cover since I was nestled up in amongst some smaller tree canopy.

hi gents,

The weak side shots thread got me thinking a little as I was reading the replies. Everyone has different preferences and I'm curious to see how others are setting up relative to wind, deer direction, etc.

For me, I try to set up where there is an area I can put behind me that deer are unlikely to come from. It can be a field, a road, a bluff wall, or just an uninteresting territory of woods. I'll pick my stands based on the wind blowing from me into the uninteresting area. I take care of my scent on my clothes and whatnot, but I recognise that the deer still has the better nose so I'll play the wind game rather than the scent block game. With 90 degrees or so behind me eliminated, I'll normally put that at my 5 o'clock do that I'm generally facing the way I think deer are coming and with a small turn of the head/eyes to each side I can see everything. Thinking on it more, maybe that should be my 3:00 to eliminate 1:30-4:30 as a shot angle?

My other preferred setup is to find a skinny pinch point/funnel and set up on the downwind side with the constriction at my 9-10 o'clock. My logic is that the deer have to come through the pinch so put my best shot angle there. And if the come from the direction I'm facing then I have the tree as cover. If they come from the opposite, that's over my left shoulder and I can rotate counterclockwise a little to see and shoot.

In another thread though, I'm seeing that people like to set up cross wind, with your 9:00 where the deer are coming from (not putting the tree between you), and other differences. I'd love to hear how others are choosing their setup angles and why.

thanks
rick

I would just caution that if you put too many variables into your setup (other than "this is a place deer will be") then you're going to see less. But then again, it doesn't help to see deer if you're in a tree you can't shoot one from (very easily).

I digital and in real life scout and try to figure out the deer. I then setup so that where I think the deer will be will allow me to hide from them behind the trunk as they approach (that can be several different paths of the deer....including walking straight at the tree or from my right to left), unless there is a ton of cover otherwise. Also, I want the most likely shot to be a strong side shot. Sometimes I will setup so that I hang out more on the side of the platform or at a 45, if that is a good spot to hide, and then step onto the platform to shoot (you just have to try stuff). Or I'll put my top stick to the left and then step out onto it for some shots. When I see a deer coming, I'll often move slowly to get the tree between us and setup for the draw. The other main stipulation is that the deer shouldn't be able to smell me if they are where I think they are and given the wind direction.

A lot of youtubers (thinking of Sturgis) that make money off youtube always have to put out new videos with some new idea. Eventually, they run out of good ideas and start putting out videos about how you have to approach your stand so that there is no way a deer can ever smell or see you (impossible) or how you should always hunt so the Sun is in a deer's eyes (nice, but hardly a requirement in my book). It reminds me of fitness youtubers all coming out with "The one move to fix all your shoulder issues!" videos all the time.

Just don't add so many stipulations about the details of a setup that you only have 3 spots to hunt in 1,000 acres. Rule number one is be where the deer are.

I want my right shoulder covering what I'd prefer not to have to shoot. I can shoot behind me without much issue.

Back