• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Possible hybrid setup help

Gator88

Hi everyone. I did a dry run in my helo this past weekend and it was fantastic. I got it set up perfectly. So easy to get in and out of the stand. Where it could improve tho is feeling safe while standing. The first few times I climbed with this stand I was wearing my saddle, and I felt good standing with my rope bridge and tether over my shoulder, but it seemed like a mess and ultimately I started using my hunters saftey harness that I got all modded out. It’s the tits. I got a dump pouch with my lineman’s rope tucked in on top, my stand pre hanger, cam buckle strap and HSS tree strap with caribiner underneath. Up the tree 123. Out too. It’s perfect. Now, when I’m up there my back straps got some wiggle room in it obviously, with a very small platform, man. Maybe because I’m just not totally used to it but it’s sketchy standing up. I hunted a true saddle setup last year and not being obviously connected to the tree is somewhat new to me. My other permanent hang ons are huge and I don’t get vertigo on them. Was curious to see what you dudes do. Any help is appreciated, thank you! I’ll post some pics if any of you would like. It’s a bad mama jama. By the way I got 18 feet with 3 trophy line minis and 17” DIY aiders. It was awesome

Anymore, if I'm hunting a ladder stand or hang-on, I use it like a saddle platform, facing the tree. I like having my tether tight rather than knowing I've got some slack with a full-body harness.

You might want to incorporate some sort of chest harness. It won't be the same as a full-body harness, but will get you pretty close, and keep you from going inverted. Assuming you have an adjustable bridge you could clip your carabiner in to your chest harness when stationary, and unclip it when "saddle-ing".

Lot of guys use rock climbing harnesses or their saddle when sitting conventional in a hang on.

U can connect under arm or over shoulder to carabiner that is in front of u and snug it up to whatever feels comfortable

U can also adjust ur bridge length along with tether

If u stand up u can single-hand adjust to loosen enough to turn around

Doing this allows u to have the options of both sitting conventionally or saddle hunting

If u fall u will be facing the stand instead of away and can more easily help yourself, compared to a typical harness that leaves u hanging facing away from the stand because it’s attached to ur back

This doesn’t go along with stand manufacturers recommendations though so do what u feel is best for u

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anymore, if I'm hunting a ladder stand or hang-on, I use it like a saddle platform, facing the tree. I like having my tether tight rather than knowing I've got some slack with a full-body harness.

You might want to incorporate some sort of chest harness. It won't be the same as a full-body harness, but will get you pretty close, and keep you from going inverted. Assuming you have an adjustable bridge you could clip your carabiner in to your chest harness when stationary, and unclip it when "saddle-ing".

That’s a cool thing I didn’t know existed. Thank you.

Hi everyone. I did a dry run in my helo this past weekend and it was fantastic. I got it set up perfectly. So easy to get in and out of the stand. Where it could improve tho is feeling safe while standing. The first few times I climbed with this stand I was wearing my saddle, and I felt good standing with my rope bridge and tether over my shoulder, but it seemed like a mess and ultimately I started using my hunters saftey harness that I got all modded out. It’s the tits. I got a dump pouch with my lineman’s rope tucked in on top, my stand pre hanger, cam buckle strap and HSS tree strap with caribiner underneath. Up the tree 123. Out too. It’s perfect. Now, when I’m up there my back straps got some wiggle room in it obviously, with a very small platform, man. Maybe because I’m just not totally used to it but it’s sketchy standing up. I hunted a true saddle setup last year and not being obviously connected to the tree is somewhat new to me. My other permanent hang ons are huge and I don’t get vertigo on them. Was curious to see what you dudes do. Any help is appreciated, thank you! I’ll post some pics if any of you would like. It’s a bad mama jama. By the way I got 18 feet with 3 trophy line minis and 17” DIY aiders. It was awesome
Would like to see photos of your harness the way you described it if you have photos. This is something I’m still working on too. What Tapeworm described is pretty much what I have been doing. Still makes me slightly uneasy knowing it goes against manufactures recommendations but. I can think of any other/better way to do it. To feel safe and also truly protected (I think anyway). Interested in other ideas to solve this one.

Would like to see photos of your harness the way you described it if you have photos. This is something I’m still working on too. What Tapeworm described is pretty much what I have been doing. Still makes me slightly uneasy knowing it goes against manufactures recommendations but. I can think of any other/better way to do it. To feel safe and also truly protected (I think anyway). Interested in other ideas to solve this one.
I just got home from work I’m gonna post some pictures of my setup later this afternoon! Got a few DIY tricks to show off that I’m really really happy about. Besides the main bits of the rig, I either made or used gear I already had to make this perfect. And I can’t believe how good it turned out.

I always used a minimalist rock climbing harness (Black diamond coulior, I believe) when I used my Lone Wolf Assault II hand climber. I had a short tether that went around the tree at waist height and had a prussic knot to take the slack out of. I wanted it to where I could stand and turn both ways and have the least amount of slack possible.

Another trick I used to help with standing on small platforms was to get a paver stone a little smaller than my platform and stand on that to practice off of. That, or I just set my platform about 10 inches off the ground and shot from that for a month prior to season.

Another trick I used to help with standing on small platforms was to get a paver stone a little smaller than my platform and stand on that to practice off of. That, or I just set my platform about 10 inches off the ground and shot from that for a month prior to season.

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I recently read a listicle about archery drills, and one of them was to shoot standing on one foot. Thereby forcing you to split your concentration between your shot and your balance, or focus on your shot while maintaining balance, simulating an awkward position in a stand or whatever. Free and easy to do at the end of a practice session to mix things up a bit.

Back