• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

possible way to make huge, light platform with latitude x wing, would this work?

raisins

SH Member
Just spit balling without ever seeing one in person, maybe someone with one can try this or give some feedback on feasibility. This will take away the scallops in the platform that people like.

Idea is simple: join the wings to middle platform piece using 7/64" amsteel pulled as tight as possble, basically make a sort of netting in those 2 open areas to each side and even put some knots in the amsteel to give some side purchase.

This would add almost no weight and make the thing huge and less than 3 lbs. Maybe a company can use an idea like this (build the structural bits out of aluminum etc and the stuff that doesn't see as much force out of something extra light like cord or a polymer/fiberglass reinforced nylon)....we see a lot of platforms that seem to have aluminum where it might not be needed.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Size doesn't always matter...
Well that's what she told me anyway

You'd need to have a way to get it really really tight. I only have size 10 boots and you can bridge that gap fairly easy. Are you thinking so you could turn around on it?

You'd need to have a way to get it really really tight. I only have size 10 boots and you can bridge that gap fairly easy. Are you thinking so you could turn around on it?

yep, just a way to make a light and big platform

Amsteel, 550 cord, leather, bobcat pelt. That’s a legit idea. You just need something you can retighten easily every once and awhile.

tourniquet method ala @Samcirrus, one per side with each side wrapped so that you can tighten the whole side at once....probably use a skinny carbon arrow piece epoxied inside a larger carbon arrow

tourniquet method ala @Samcirrus, one per side with each side wrapped so that you can tighten the whole side at once....probably use a skinny carbon arrow piece epoxied inside a larger carbon arrow
Could you run just one tourniquet and get both sides? Maybe even in the center? I'm actually thinking weed whacker style, one leg from each side, turned in the center

Could you run just one tourniquet and get both sides? Maybe even in the center? I'm actually thinking weed whacker style, one leg from each side, turned in the center

sure...just gotta experiment

If this idea worked couldn’t you just use a frame outter edge of a normal platform and fill it in with a stranded rope material?

yeah, if it had enough metal to hold itself together

i've looked at various platforms and thought a lot of the cross members could be another material

i hope some platform makers are hiring engineers with CAD programs that can apply various forces to their models and determine what is and isn't needed....might be a neat job for an AI program

Lol yours just weighed more because they added extra material and welded yours a couple extra times just because they knew it was going to you.:tearsofjoy:

I wasn’t complaining about the weight. I was actually surprised it was that light.

I don't see what this would gain, amsteel from the furthest point on the wing to the front edge of the platform wouldn't get you much more real estate- it seems from videos that most people are standing with the heel on the center and toe on the wing, so having amsteel webbing under your foot wouldn't add anything (except negligible weight)and I don't see it being comfortable/useful having say your heel on the amsteel and toe on the platform.

Haven't touched one in person though, just uneducated opinions

Back