• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Post-Season “Won’t make that mistake again” Thread 2023-24

Did you make a decision this past season, in good conscience, that in hindsight was a mistake?

• Yes, and I won’t repeat the mistake next season

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • Yes, and I’ll probably donkey it up again next season

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • No, I’m literally Rambo and Jim Shockey and Steve Irwin and Robin Hood combined

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • No, I’ve already made every mistake imaginable; the only thing to do now is learn (so still Yes)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe…I sure did make a lot of mistakes anyhow, just can’t think of a specific one at the moment

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I still have some season left to screw up, lemme get back to you

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Yes, but I turned that sonuvvagun into a success, and here’s the photo!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DelaWhere_Arrow

SH Member
Let me explain with my own example:

This is not a super deep lesson, but I had the very issue of “don’t pass something on the first day that you’d be tickled to shoot on the last day” come up. I shot a doe in October and I was riding the high of getting the first deer of the season when a couple weeks later from the same tree, a pretty good 4YO+ buck showed up and offered me a couple of shot opportunities. I actually posted about it in LftS23, but to summarize, I drew on him at 15 yds, didn’t shoot an almost-perfect sight picture, held for another 5 yds, he kept moseying slowly and I could have bleated and shot quartering away at 19 yds, but I let down and let him walk. I watched him hang out behind some brush for another few minutes and he responded to a grunt, then like a ghost disappeared.
I should have shot that deer, but didn’t because it was so close to the last deer I’d shot, we only get one buck in OH, and I knew there were “better bucks” aka bigger racks in the area, so I didn’t have the urgency of a meat deficit or a closing season and I wasn’t hard-pressed to harvest a mid-racked (maybe 120-130” at the very most) buck even though his body was, “in hindsight” literally and figuratively, just brutish. I have him on camera before/after and he’s a thiccboi for sure. Like the Ronin who wields the kanabō in lieu of the katana, his muscles had muscles on their muscles. This WAS the “better buck” and I let him go because he didn’t have better bone, if I really boil it down. What a butthead.
And what a mistake not to shoot, as I haven’t seen a decent buck now since before Christmas. Neither have any of the neighbors. My “better bucks” mindset was just, well, wrong for my current progress as a hunter. In the original interest of “managing” our small property in a way that keeps good relationships with neighbors, I morphed from not shooting “small bucks” to setting a somewhat unrealistic and honestly un-enjoyable standard in short order, right under my own nose.
I have since readjusted my standard to: any buck that makes me want to pick up my bow, is getting the bow picked up for, and I’m drawing if he gives me the chance, and I’m shooting if the lane is clear.
Generally I still want to target 3YO+ bucks, as a manner of good practice with the herd and the neighbors, but if a buck tickles my fancy I’m going to try to shoot him from now on. Period.

Okay, your turn. Be as specific as you can, try to refer to one mistake per post (but post however many specific mistakes you feel you need to), and tell us how/what you learned from contemplating it after the fact.

Above all, don’t take yourself or anyone else too seriously. This should be fun!

I've done that too. I passed a very decent buck the first evening out last season and sort of regretted it, but not really. I passed a buck I had dead to rites at about 17 yards off the ground earlier this season. I drew back on him as he walked broadside, then let his pass and let down. Every once in a while, I have a tinge of regret for not following through but hopefully he survived, and we will meet again.

In the end, you have to make you mind up in the moment and not worry too much about it. Who knows, that buck of yours may be an absolute brute next fall and walk by you again.

As for mistakes, I always try to make new ones.

I didn’t buy a buck tag for myself so I could buy tags for my family. I had a really nice 8 point stand broadside at 45 yards on the last day of rifle season. A few days prior I passed on a doe at 30-45 yards with my rifle because I didn’t want to mess my sons hunt up. We were together and it was immediately after sunrise. We had had an encounter with a nice buck the day before and I wanted him to get another chance at it.

I've done that too. I passed a very decent buck the first evening out last season and sort of regretted it, but not really. I passed a buck I had dead to rites at about 17 yards off the ground earlier this season. I drew back on him as he walked broadside, then let his pass and let down. Every once in a while, I have a tinge of regret for not following through but hopefully he survived, and we will meet again.

In the end, you have to make you mind up in the moment and not worry too much about it. Who knows, that buck of yours may be an absolute brute next fall and walk by you again.

As for mistakes, I always try to make new ones.
Way to get the replies started on absolute fire!
Thanks for the encouragement, too.
You are right, the regret is shallow overall, but it stings all the same.

I didn’t buy a buck tag for myself so I could buy tags for my family. I had a really nice 8 point stand broadside at 45 yards on the last day of rifle season. A few days prior I passed on a doe at 30-45 yards with my rifle because I didn’t want to mess my sons hunt up. We were together and it was immediately after sunrise. We had had an encounter with a nice buck the day before and I wanted him to get another chance at it.
Oh man, I don’t think of these as mistakes! You sound like exactly the kind of dad/hunting buddy that anyone would kill for. Karma is on your side for sure.

The only one I can think of for sure was an early season set where I tried to push a really bad wind/thermal on a doe hunt. I accounted for the wind but not the thermal when I hung the set and it should have been glaringly obvious the thermal push was going to be a problem. I caught my error on the first sit there before the thermals even started moving but stayed in the tree anyway since it was just going to be a doe hunt. I'm guessing she blew 35-40 times. Every time I am sloppy or careless with a setup it bites me in the butt. I seem to do that once or twice every year anyway. Slow learner I reckon.

I got some 8ft amsteel daisy chains for my sticks and predator platform so that I could get in some larger diameter trees in my area.

Glad I did because I got in a larger tree that my 6ft straps wouldn't have worked for. It was all going great until trying to set up my gear hanger and realized it wouldn't fit around the tree because it was only 6ft...

Stayed up in the tree as long as I could, holding my bow the entire time. When I started to get cramps I finally decided to get down, only to have a group of does pop into sight as soon as I got to the ground...

my mistakes belong more in the 'shame' thread than here... so let's just leave that to y'all to fill in the blanks...

but my biggest regret this season, looking back, was wasting time on hunts I had little confidence in. I've hunted at least 5 different WMAs/NWR/tracts, and the 3 deer I've shot - two killed, one I didn't recover, sadly - were all within 200 yards of each other on the NWR. two of them were within 20 yards of each other. That 40 acre spot is just on fire. I've always seen at least a deer hunting in that area. whereas everywhere else I've hunted, I've skunked.

so my big take-away is I need to scout a lot more shrewdly. the exceptional drought conditions of Oct/Nov and part of Dec didn't help, and hunting on acorns was a bust for me this season, regardless of species or sign. but that spot has taught me a lot about what to look for terrain wise.

Well, I'd like to say I won't make that mistake again but it seems I do it quite regularly. Again this year I sit out during bow season covered up in does and don't shoot for one reason or another and then next thing I know the season is over and I never killed a doe. Apparently I'm also a slow learner!

my mistakes belong more in the 'shame' thread than here... so let's just leave that to y'all to fill in the blanks...

but my biggest regret this season, looking back, was wasting time on hunts I had little confidence in. I've hunted at least 5 different WMAs/NWR/tracts, and the 3 deer I've shot - two killed, one I didn't recover, sadly - were all within 200 yards of each other on the NWR. two of them were within 20 yards of each other. That 40 acre spot is just on fire. I've always seen at least a deer hunting in that area. whereas everywhere else I've hunted, I've skunked.

so my big take-away is I need to scout a lot more shrewdly. the exceptional drought conditions of Oct/Nov and part of Dec didn't help, and hunting on acorns was a bust for me this season, regardless of species or sign. but that spot has taught me a lot about what to look for terrain wise.
I felt the flashbacks when I read this. Took me several seasons to stop hunting places I had little confidence in, but once I did/still do figure it out, my sightings went up for sure.

Well, I'd like to say I won't make that mistake again but it seems I do it quite regularly. Again this year I sit out during bow season covered up in does and don't shoot for one reason or another and then next thing I know the season is over and I never killed a doe. Apparently I'm also a slow learner!
What’s the hang up? I am genuinely curious, not being a jerk. I love shooting does so much, I have to fight myself quite violently to leave my bow on the hook for any doe at all.

I picked the wrong tree on the rifle opener I hunted. I was 50 yards too far up the hill. It’s a recurring theme, I often find myself in good spots, but having to refine to the X. So if I go back there, I’ll be in the right tree. But also, another lesson just taking a bit more time to refine the X. I’d like to find a few more X’s on the front end.

In terms of how I define hunting efficiency, those rifle openers are a stark example. Because they are such a relatively high-odds day, but also, there's one a year. So great, I learned a lot on that one day, and now I wait 365 days to apply it again. It's iterative as hell and also takes forever to test my iteration.

I actually love that iterative refinement process, but I also just don’t really have time for it. A lot of my hunting, since I had kids, is just geared toward being more efficient. Sure, I know what I know today, and can probably go back there next year and kill a buck. But why did I miss that this year?

And to that end, I've been thinking a lot, I guess you could say even struggling, about some of the why's behind the hunt. And not just hunting, life in general. Along the lines of goals, and what defines success. Why are those my goals? What are my motivations? Why am I even out here doing this, should I just be working? I don't even know. I have more questions than answers still. Or maybe I don’t like the answers I’m coming up with.

I picked the wrong tree on the rifle opener I hunted. I was 50 yards too far up the hill. It’s a recurring theme, I often find myself in good spots, but having to refine to the X. So if I go back there, I’ll be in the right tree. But also, another lesson just taking a bit more time to refine the X. I’d like to find a few more X’s on the front end.

In terms of how I define hunting efficiency, those rifle openers are a stark example. Because they are such a relatively high-odds day, but also, there's one a year. So great, I learned a lot on that one day, and now I wait 365 days to apply it again. It's iterative as hell and also takes forever to test my iteration.

I actually love that iterative refinement process, but I also just don’t really have time for it. A lot of my hunting, since I had kids, is just geared toward being more efficient. Sure, I know what I know today, and can probably go back there next year and kill a buck. But why did I miss that this year?

And to that end, I've been thinking a lot, I guess you could say even struggling, about some of the why's behind the hunt. And not just hunting, life in general. Along the lines of goals, and what defines success. Why are those my goals? What are my motivations? Why am I even out here doing this, should I just be working? I don't even know. I have more questions than answers still. Or maybe I don’t like the answers I’m coming up with.
This onion’s got ogres of layers.

Got impatient and shot a 2 year old 8pt. I've done it before, and I'll do it again. Don't really feel bad lol.
Glad I'm not the only one.

Guys in multibuck states can blissfully carry on, you'll never know the struggle.
Yes, I long for the days of my DE hunting where I could get two buck tags for the price of one…

Glad I'm not the only one.

Guys in multibuck states can blissfully carry on, you'll never know the struggle.
I start every season saying I want to shoot a 3 or 4 year old minimum for my buck. The public I hunt has a few of those every year, but I hunt pretty big hill country (for Indiana) and the density of quality deer is low and transient. After a pretty heavy amount of hunting October-early November, I have a lot of trouble passing the nice 2 year olds once the gun season comes in and temps start dropping in Indiana. Typically I'm just ready to be done grinding and go back to spending more time with the wife and kids. If I had 2 buck tags, I'd probably drive my wife insane because I'd be hunting wire to wire trying to catch up with a big boy, knowing that there just aren't that many of them on the ground I hunt.

Welcome to my brain lol
In all seriousness, I sympathize with the notion of balancing efficiency in the deer woods with real-ass life. It’s a razor’s edge that the addition of kids just hones to obsidian sharpness. I remember when my only concern in stomping around the forest was getting to work on time and making sure my girlfriend (now wife) was the first person I called if I even saw a deer at all, let alone shot one.
Now, that last part hasn’t changed, but everything else has.
I wouldn’t trade my kids for any amount of hunting time, but as I’ve been forced to alter my hunting habits and time alotted has decreased to hopefully a handful of hours every weekend on a small property that I live on (versus all day any day on any public I could afford gas for), I’ve killed 6X (edit: I lied, 5X) the number of deer I did before kids in half the number of seasons.
Layers, man.

In all seriousness, I sympathize with the notion of balancing efficiency in the deer woods with real-ass life. It’s a razor’s edge that the addition of kids just hones to obsidian sharpness. I remember when my only concern in stomping around the forest was getting to work on time and making sure my girlfriend (now wife) was the first person I called if I even saw a deer at all, let alone shot one.
Now, that last part hasn’t changed, but everything else has.
I wouldn’t trade my kids for any amount of hunting time, but as I’ve been forced to alter my hunting habits and time alotted has decreased to hopefully a handful of hours every weekend on a small property that I live on (versus all day any day on any public I could afford gas for), I’ve killed 6X the number of deer I did before kids in half the number of seasons.
Layers, man.
Before I had kids, I wasn't a good hunter despite hunting a ton of sits. Now, 3 kids later, I hunt probably 1/4 as much and am way more successful.

Back