• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Post season cell cam question

DooleyVT

My season is pretty much wrapped up here in the NE and I have roughly 10 cell cameras in 3 different states. Super fun seeing what is out there but it gets expensive! I’d like to keep them running for a few more weeks to see what survived the gun seasons but wondering if I should cut back on the data plan or suspend it for a few months or just leave them out? Do you guys and gals keep cell cameras out all year? Do you cut back on the usage? Do you pick cameras up and suspend the service until bucks start growing antlers again? What do you do with cameras in the off season? Any maintenance?

I keep my 10 out all year on the standard plan ($5 per cam per month). It's great for seeing, what made it, when antlers drop, turkeys as spring gobbler season approaches, coyotes, bears, etc. Also good for seeing human traffic if thats a concern.

I have four and keep them going. To me I enjoy seeing what’s out there.

I keep my non cell cams out all the time. They help me answer questions and come up with new questions. I also feel like deer get used to a camera when it’s out for a long time.

I end the cell plan after season. I bring mine in once it gets boring, or its convenient or antlers are half dropped. Throw the batteries away, clean them, format the cards, put them in a tote in the garage. New batteries and cell plan in august.

I keep 4 running aug-jan or so. Sometimes earlier if I tag out. I'll keep two going dec-jan keeping an eye on a couple well producing pomds that we duck hunt. I have a feeling I will keep one or two going year round to keep tabs on hogs since I now have a thermal and night shooting permits for a couple properties.

I leave them out, but reduce the plan and I also change the settings to send pics once a day instead of instant (saves the battery).

I have mine on a yearly plan (250 pics a month for unlimited cameras) $100 bucks a year. After the season ends I leave most of them out to see when to start looking for dropped antlers. I pull some and put them around my property just to keep an eye on things when I'm not there.

Back