• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Practicing bow in a saddle

mudminnow

i got my saddle for Christmas and have started trying to get comfortable and spend a little time in it. Any advice on how to practice shooting with it. My normal routine is shooting a dozen times each night in my basement when I feed my dogs. I know the best way would be to attach to a tree and do it outside, but that would be a bit tough where I live.

I was thinking about attaching the tether to a floor support (basement ceiling) and using a chair or weight bench as the “platform”. Any ideas are appreciated and hopefully I will have my first saddle deer in September

You're going in the right direction with any practice you can get in mudminnow, we all started somewhere. Your idea of shooting from a basement floor support and a "platform" will help get you as much saddle time as possible.
I know how ya feel about not being able to shoot outside too, it was 14 degrees here today with a 20+ mph wind and snowing sideways!

I like the way you're thinking about getting some shooting time in regardless of the weather...:wink:

Thanks! It was 60 and sunny outside where I live, but my issue is there is a neighborhood path behind my house. While most people would think it’s neat seeing me hang off a tree, a vocal minority would cause a headache. #suburblife

I would say you will need to pin the chair against the wall so it doesn’t slide. Have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTEWhile most people would think it’s neat seeing me hang off a tree, a vocal minority would cause a headache. #suburblife[/QUOTE]

As long as you're not violating any local ordinances, I'd tell 'em to pound sand. Unless they wanted to pay my mortgage.

I definitely feel that sentiment, but with this crew it is not worth it

Or see if you can shoot towards your house from near the edge of your property?

As for the basement, do you have any vertical poles for support? I used those in my old place and could practice at around 10 yards. Better than nothing!

This afternoon, actually climbed 5' on the telephone pole with my sitdrag and shot a few airroids. I left 6 screw in steps in the pole for my platform so I can just jump back in the saddle for practice when ever I have a few minutes to sling some.
Depending on the temperature, I'm either going to use my Guidos Web or sitdrag Saturday morning to try to shishcobob a porker.

Back