• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Practicing

CharlieRayT

I’m thinking I’d better start working on all aspects of a tree saddle hunt. Last year I basically got a taste of several things that went alright and several things I need to work on. I’m going to start this week going on mock hunts,bow and all. By the time September rolls around I want to be as proficient as possible with my setup. Shooting from the saddle I think is going to be a main focus. 30 feet up in all directions. I’m thinking I’m going to place several rubber or foam targets all around me at different distance and practice shooting my bow. I can take as many shots as I have arrows. I’m hoping to employ the help of my grandson as my arrow retriever so I don’t have to climb up and down so much. Even paper plates on the ground to shoot at has crossed my mind. Any practice ideas or routines anyone wants to share would be great. Bottom line is I don’t want to wait till hunt day to find out “man I wish I would’ve worked on that a little more”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Year round scouting is addicting, and has consumed me for decades, I have always had more stand sites prepped than I ever touch "every year" and,... Every year I always say in my spare time I want to extend my comfortable shooting distance past 30 yds. Never get to it though. Thankfully, all my shots have averaged about 15 yds., last wounded deer was 1995, and cant remember the last miss. I am blessed to have a nice set up 40 yards from my back door in the woods, it consist of a 20ft stick ladder from Sportsman Guide strapped to a tree, with a hang on at the top to the right of the steps "for quests" ,facing the targets, and a home made platform on the left, back side of tree, for me in my saddle. I have a life line all the way up and use this as my tether just for practicing (make sense?), I have several Reinhart deer targets placed at different yardages from 5 to 25 yrds. My normal routine is to climb up and shoot at half dozen/ dozen golf balls with the judos, then shoot the 4 arrows in my bow quiver at the deer targets when done. I have had an extra Reinhart "blemished" deer target " still in the box", in my garage for several years now just waiting to be placed further out...…… Maybe this year.

Year round scouting is addicting, and has consumed me for decades, I have always had more stand sites prepped than I ever touch "every year" and,... Every year I always say in my spare time I want to extend my comfortable shooting distance past 30 yds. Never get to it though. Thankfully, all my shots have averaged about 15 yds., last wounded deer was 1995, and cant remember the last miss. I am blessed to have a nice set up 40 yards from my back door in the woods, it consist of a 20ft stick ladder from Sportsman Guide strapped to a tree, with a hang on at the top to the right of the steps "for quests" ,facing the targets, and a home made platform on the left, back side of tree, for me in my saddle. I have a life line all the way up and use this as my tether just for practicing (make sense?), I have several Reinhart deer targets placed at different yardages from 5 to 25 yrds. My normal routine is to climb up and shoot at half dozen/ dozen golf balls with the judos, then shoot the 4 arrows in my bow quiver at the deer targets when done. I have had an extra Reinhart "blemished" deer target " still in the box", in my garage for several years now just waiting to be placed further out...…… Maybe this year.

That sounds like a heck of a setup!

My dream, if we ever get out of the city and onto a little piece of land, is to have a telephone pole set up permanently with targets like you do.

That sounds like a heck of a setup!

My dream, if we ever get out of the city and onto a little piece of land, is to have a telephone pole set up permanently with targets like you do.

That’s one of my goals this summer.

Back