• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pre-rigging lineman and tether using ascenders?

nickw3130

Hello, newer saddle hunter here.. shocker. I have 8mm lineman and tree tether rope. I also have two Kong duck ascenders for each. Do you guys leave your kong ducks on your rope all ready to go? This way when climbing a tree you just pull the rope out, clip both sides in, and up up and away. Anyone got any examples of how they rig/correct way to rig these up. Lastly for guys using ascenders, do you feel safe using the kong-duck on your tree tether to hold you? Do you have any fail safe?

Thanks! :)

Hello, newer saddle hunter here.. shocker. I have 8mm lineman and tree tether rope. I also have two Kong duck ascenders for each. Do you guys leave your kong ducks on your rope all ready to go? This way when climbing a tree you just pull the rope out, clip both sides in, and up up and away. Anyone got any examples of how they rig/correct way to rig these up. Lastly for guys using ascenders, do you feel safe using the kong-duck on your tree tether to hold you? Do you have any fail safe?

Thanks! :)
From what I understand the kong duck is supposed to be used slightly different than how we use it. I don’t recall ever hearing anyone being hurt from using it. Personally I didn’t like 8mm for my linesman belt because it wasn’t stiff enough for me to flip while advancing position. I prefer 10 mm or above. I use the wild country rope man 1 as a rope grab/ascender. It’s for 10-13mm ropes. They also make a wild man 2 for 8mm to 13mm. I leave mine on my tether at all times. No reason to take it off because it’s not biting down when it’s unweighted. Since the climb up and transition onto your platform is you most likely place of a fall, I don’t use a mechanical device on my linesman rope. I use a prusik with a prusik tender. They are much stronger than a mechanical, and since your linesman never holds 100% of your weight unless you fall, the prusik is easily adjustable with one hand and a tender. So short answer to your question, I leave my rope man on my tether so it’s ready to go at all times. And yes I feel safe with it on my tether because I don’t allow slack in my tether to obtain a fall. The mechanicals are plenty strong enough to hold your weight on a tether or linesman rope. Just remember they aren’t intended to arrest a fall. Happy hunting!

Back