• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Preferred Rain Gear?

bigcat93

SH Member
Anyone found a good rain jacket/pants?

Looking for something quiet and packs down well. Pretty much will live in my pack until I need it

Quiet and packable is a tough combo for rain gear. Rivers West makes a set that has a softer face but it get extremely heavy. Overall I like the Kuiu Stuff. It’s been better than any Goretex set I’ve had. Noise happens in the rain so it’s never bothered me.

If it’s an unexpected rain I use the cabelas space rain gear that lives in my pack. If I know it’s going to be raining all day I use the cabelas space rain pants with my black Diamond rain shell. The Black Diamond shell has pit zips and will keep me dry all day. It also packs down to nothing.

I got turned on last year to a poncho that was made to go over a pack. It fits over my pacseat whether I'm sitting or walking. I wear Yoder chaps, so if it rains I can quickly throw on the poncho and pull up the chaps. It makes me thoroughly waterproof in the event of a pop-up rain.

I have tried frogg toggs guide line (ok but somewhat loud, wet out after a while) as well as Helly Hansen Impertech (great but hot-i got pretty sweaty, haven't had a chance to try in a downpour yet) and will be using outdoor research foray jacket/pants next week. All have been in SE Alaska (I've doubted my blood trailing abilities too much the last few seasons to do much rain hunting but that plan is now changing), the first two were primarily fishing/on a boat so didn't test durability (unless leaning over the rails and getting covered in fish slime counts), the last one (next week) will be a true test- Backcountry hiking/hunting.

Hoping the foray set holds up and will be me go to for round hunting in the rain, but if I was just sitting in a stand/saddle and a storm rolled through, I'd probably go with the impertech. It's very waterproof but still has some stretch so you can definitely climb a tree with it on, and sitting still wouldn't get as sweaty as walking around.

I was eyeing the kuiu Yukon line as it seems pretty well liked as far as high end durable gear goes, but this summer but it got discontinued and hasn't been replaced yet (there's rumors of an updated line that was supposed to come out last month, haven't seen it yet)

I have had good results with Kuiu Kutana so far. It is noisy for recurve hunting but if it is light showers I use it to get to my ground blind then take off. Hard rain, stay home.

If you want something just for emergencies, then this stuff is hard to beat but is loud

If I pushed down hard, a jacket and pants would probably pack down into a largish coffee mug

I got the Cabela's MT050 set on sale probably 5 or 8 years ago, pre-merger. It's definitely quiet, has kept me dry and has lasted longer than I expected. Isn't extremely packable but does just fine. They've changed it a bit since then and obnviously cabelas has gone way downhill since the merger but it's worth a look. Seems like it's still got decent reviews.

Kuiu sets the standard. Period. I like the Yukon because of its 4 way stretch. That 4 way stretch makes a massive difference walking in and stretching your legs when you climb up sticks.
You want packable so the Chugach tr is what I'd be looking at. Also 4 way stretch.
Something to note, is theres no such thing as waterproof rain gear besides something made of 100% rubber. Sit out in the rain long enough, or bust enough brush and it will begin to seep through.

Cabelas Space rain gear. Super packable and weighs nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have three different hunting sets: most packable is the FL Vapor Stormlight jacket and FL Boundary Stormtight pant, really quiet and decently packable is the Badlands Exo set, and a Badlands Alpha set for monsoon conditions (quiet and heavy).

For daily wear I do have some heavy PVC Cabela's stuff (don't really wear anymore), the OR Helium set (lives in my truck), and a few OR AscentShell technology pieces...

I have three different hunting sets: most packable is the FL Vapor Stormlight jacket and FL Boundary Stormtight pant, really quiet and decently packable is the Badlands Exo set, and a Badlands Alpha set for monsoon conditions (quiet and heavy).

For daily wear I do have some heavy PVC Cabela's stuff (don't really wear anymore), the OR Helium set (lives in my truck), and a few OR AscentShell technology pieces...

Rain gear and boots are 2 things I find addictive. I do not need any rain wear, but this thread has me pricing some!

I actually like the Badlands Exo set enough that I have the full set in both a medium and a large. Gotta cover all the layering options lmao!

checking it out....no pit zips? if not, it's a shame that the packable jackets skip that, i really like unzipping while walking in

looking at this

checking it out....no pit zips? if not, it's a shame that the packable jackets skip that, i really like unzipping while walking in

looking at this

Yeah, probably my biggest issue with them. You almost always lose that feature once the word packable is added. The Exo is going to be a bit warmer and less breathable that true UL stuff. I usually pack it when it's going to rain at some point, if it's questionable or "in case" the FL gets the nod. I question the durability on the FL stuff over long term abuse though.

Back