• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Problem with new Treehopper Drill

Nutterbuster

SH Member
I want to preface this by saying that I really liked the fast (3 day) delivery of the product, and I'm very impressed with the overall build quality. While I love my 3 EZ-Kut drills, this is undoubtedly a sturdier tool. It's also quieter and way easier to open.

But there is one pretty major problem. It is very difficult to extract the bit from the hole. I didn't hunt with it this weekend, because I could barely extract it with both feet on terra firma, and can't imagine drilling 12 holes with it up a tree. It also seems to get more difficult to turn the handle as the drill begins to reach maximum depth. Much more so than with the EZ-Kut.

Has anybody else had this problem, and if so, have you been able to remedy it? As much as I want to like it, mine is pretty much a paperweight right now. None of the three EZ-Kuts have this problem.

UPDATE

Myself and several other forum members have had multiple conversations with Mark, the owner of treehopper. I have to say that I've been blown away with his responsiveness and commitment to "getting it right." After taking a week to really put the new bit he sent me through its paces, I can honestly say that the treehopper is in every way superior to the ez-kut I've been using, and that's saying something since I've loved it for 2 seasons.

Below is an updated video review comparing the two drills side-by-side. I think anybody looking for a lightweight, packable, safe, and silent way up a tree would be very well served by the treehopper and a set of bolts. If legal, this is hands-down my favorite way to climb, and I've tried various sticks, wild edges steps, aiders, spurs, and rope/strap steps. The new treehopper seems built to last a lifetime, and makes drilling bama-fan simple.

Last edited:
Well I feel bad because I recommend this drill to you due to quality of the construction . I only did a short test on the drill with maybe 10 holes due to the cold weather .
I didn’t have a sticking issue with mine yet . I’ll get back out today and test more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How easily do your ezkuts extract? Mine tends to stick unless i do a bit of a forward/back rotation to ream the hole out a bit. I dont get the "tough to turn" but ansolutely get tough extraction.

How do the bits differ? Is there any cross compatibility? Is the pilot screw more pronounced?

Can you back off a few turns, hold the dril against getting deeper, and turn it forward to ream out the hole? Or maybe sharpen the bit?

It looks like the trehopper lacks the rotating collar between cutting surface and handle? And possibly a more aggressive screw? Any other differences clearly apparent hands-on?

Well I just had the same issue drilling and trying to pull bit out.
I couldn’t get the drill bit back out of the tree without turning it in reverse then forward again back and forth.
I only tried one hole due to how hard it was to pull it out .
Not sure what the problem is but it’s a problem.
It wasn’t this cold the day I first tried it maybe that’s a factor I don’t know.

Well I just had the same issue drilling and trying to pull bit out.
I couldn’t get the drill bit back out of the tree without turning it in reverse then forward again back and forth.
I only tried one hole due to how hard it was to pull it out .
Not sure what the problem is but it’s a problem.
It wasn’t this cold the day I first tried it maybe that’s a factor I don’t know.

Fwiw i have gotten this a lot with the ezkut and figured it was just part of the deal. Does it normally just slide right out for people?

Fwiw i have gotten this a lot with the ezkut and figured it was just part of the deal. Does it normally just slide right out for people?

I had and original treehopper drill and never had this problem. But with that said I never drilled in really cold temperatures.

I have sent mark at treehopper an email about our problem .
I will post something when he gets back with me.

In warmer weather do the cuttings/dust come out as you screw into the tree? If so have you noticed in colder weather the cuttings not coming out? If that were the case I'd think the cuttings are clogging up the bit due to excess sap/moisture. Just a thought.

In warmer weather do the cuttings/dust come out as you screw into the tree? If so have you noticed in colder weather the cuttings not coming out? If that were the case I'd think the cuttings are clogging up the bit due to excess sap/moisture. Just a thought.

From what I saw earlier that may be the case . The Cuttings stopped coming out half way down during the drilling process and bit got hot I’m sure it’s dull now.

From mark at treehopper
d24d353062266a5bde026f9d301e06c0.jpg
94c233b558346e61917ea171bd9b5910.jpg

Well...shoot.

Try it again. Should be public. Not sure what's up. Can anybody see it?

Yea... looks like the treehopper is getting stuck. That sucks...considering I just bought one. Mine does not seem to drill well. Only tried soft wood

Watched it.

The majority of the time my ezkut performs exactly like...

Your treehopper.
That's very interesting. All three of mine seem to drill fine. Guess it's not necessarily a flaw of the treehopper then. Maybe dull/defective bits?

@Treehopper2, sounds like Mark is a good guy. Maybe I got a lemon. I'm fairly certain the problem isn't operator error though. As you continue to drill it never "lets off" like it should. He describes what I usually do pretty perfectly, which makes me think the ones he's tried are good and maybe mine is dull.

Any carpentry gurus know how to sharpen a wood bit?

Mine did the same as in your video started tightening up then couldn’t pull it out of tree .

Back