• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Progressively perfecting your set up

DanielB89

I would like to see some of the steps you've taken to make your climbing set up more efficient and effective. I am going to add a few pics later today, but thought i'd like to see what you've done to your system to make it better. This could turn into a great resource that allows others to reference your progressive upgrading of your equipment

I’m just starting this saddle hunting and one thing I can tell is I’m very loud. I had a perfected quiet system with the lone wolf climber. I like the comfort of the saddle and ability to have presets. I know I’ll be grateful for carrying clothes in. Sorry I was no help. I haven’t figured out a real good way with the predator yet. It’s tempting to sell and get 160 screw in steps.

Two paracord loops on the sides of my sit drag to hold a stick on each side. It is a pretty normal little mod, but makes a huge difference when using sticks.

Another is I don’t use a pull up rope. I strap my bow to the back of my backpack and do the whole climb with everything that goes up with me. No tangling 30 feet of rope trying to drop stuff in just the right spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m just starting this saddle hunting and one thing I can tell is I’m very loud. I had a perfected quiet system with the lone wolf climber. I like the comfort of the saddle and ability to have presets. I know I’ll be grateful for carrying clothes in. Sorry I was no help. I haven’t figured out a real good way with the predator yet. It’s tempting to sell and get 160 screw in steps.

You will quickly get deadly silent. I can’t come anywhere close to being as quiet with my Lone Wolf as I can in a saddle.
I set up yesterday at 11:00am, changed shoes 25 yards from the tree, climbed pre-drilled bolts, got my pack and bow all settled in, and had 3 does under my tree an hour later that had been bedded within 60-70 yards the whole time.

Another is I don’t use a pull up rope. I strap my bow to the back of my backpack and do the whole climb with everything that goes up with me. No tangling 30 feet of rope trying to drop stuff in just the right spot.

This is exactly what I do also. I gave up on the rope after two climbs. My backpack can carry a bow or a rifle and all all the rest of my gear. I just climb up and then start unpacking everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

loud in terms of metal on metal noise like the buckle banging into it or squeaking? Fixes have been talked about for both if you decide to keep it

My favorite piece of new gear and by FAR the best bang for the buck is my paracord gear and pack hanger. Just girth it around the tree and clip your pack on the tag end. Everyone should make one.

4626f4840129e03cdc856fb3aa1047b4.jpg

Last edited:
7f45396a36f5a347879cd38caa486a22.jpg
faca61fc56b2993060ae5ac87fcae473.jpg
923f0cf8637944c1b78da6b432cd0bbd.jpg
9c3976fadd6943b5ef66592dfe27c085.jpg

A few things I have done thus far to eliminate noise with the predator platform is to put some bike tube over the buckle(works great), then I put some pieces of soft side velcro any where the upright and platform make contact. I also had a problem when hauling it, so I tied a piece of 3/8" elastic chord across the bottom of the platform and then when I get ready to transport, I just flip it over and around the upright. I also put some silicone based wax on the hardware where the platform and upright connect. I cant believe how quiet it made everything.

Since no one has received any of their accessories for their saddle yet, I put the two molle style pounches I had already on my saddle and man, do they work great!

Also worth noting, I found a very convenient way to carry my sticks. I slide them down on a strap on the side of my pack and then secure them in with the top buckle. Works very well! Cant believe I never did that last year!

One thing noted above is to carry your sticks attached to your saddle. I am doing this by sticking the top of my sticks(foldable steps) into the lineman's belt loop on each side of the saddle. I did the same with the RCH and it's my favorite by far! I'm hoping to get to put it all to test this weekend!

Last edited:
My favorite piece of new gear and by FAR the best bang for the buck is my paracord gear and pack hanger. Just girth it around the tree and clip your pack on the tag end. Everyone should make one.

4626f4840129e03cdc856fb3aa1047b4.jpg

I use something similar, just a whoopie sling. Tag end goes through loop which my bag hangs on. Tiny s-biners for everything else. Weighs nothing and practically packs into a thimble.

20181001_140745.jpg

Here is my solution for the zipper always going down too far on my WE Step bag. Sewed.... I mean, injected a thread stopper. Works great.

index.php

Attachments

• 20180923_131714.jpg
    20180923_131714.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 478
My permanent platform setup that is scattered in a half dozen places in the woods. You guys are welcome to use them if you can find them :) They cost about four bucks each plus the cost of the buckle and strap. Aluminum furniture brackets you can find on ebay and amazon. Inexpensive and functional............

20180130_171911.jpg

Two paracord loops on the sides of my sit drag to hold a stick on each side. It is a pretty normal little mod, but makes a huge difference when using sticks.

I do the same thing. If I’m walking in in the morning I walk in with my bow on my back and carry my sticks. If I walk in for an evening hunt I carry my bow and swap bow and sticks at the tree.

I do the same thing. If I’m walking in in the morning I walk in with my bow on my back and carry my sticks. If I walk in for an evening hunt I carry my bow and swap bow and sticks at the tree.

This is exactly how I do it. Bow in hand in daylight, bow on backpack in the dark. I love being able to walk up to a tree, never take my backpack off, and climb right up the tree.

Are you guys that strap the bows to your packs as you go up doing any mods to the packs? I hate pulling that thing up. Noisiest part of my setup by far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

Are you guys that strap the bows to your packs as you go up doing any mods to the packs? I hate pulling that thing up. Noisiest part of my setup by far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

Mine is an archery backpack so it came with a means of strapping the bow to it that’s really secure and safe.

I also hate hauling it up also. Seems to always get caught in the brush down below, coming up or going down. It’s just one less thing to do while on the ground. I put on my spikes and just start climbing when I get to my tree, when I get up there everything is with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those of you spurring up the tree with the bow on back, do u carry a platform?

Back