• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Protecting thin walled sticks?

beej32

I’ve seen where people have suggested using some sort of insert if using 1/16 wall tubing for sticks to keep the bolts from damaging the aluminum. What are you using for this and where can you get it?

I used 1/16 wall tube for my sticks (22 stick length with 20 inch step spacing). I bought 7/8th OD oak dowel from lowe's and inserted long wise about 2 to 3 inches of dowel in each end (where each step/stand off is), drilled the 1/4 inch hole and bolted them back together. I am 220lbs, used them all season and had zero issues with them.

I don't know, but bushings with washers should work.

G'luck

If you want an idea for an easy/cheap spacer.....I found some copper tubing that is about exactly 1/4" inside diameter. I cut it and use it as a space for my DIY versabuttons with a fender washer on top, I think it would work for your idea also. It's nice because it is cheap and you can easily cut it to whatever length works best for you. It isn't very thick, but if everything fits snug (washer, etc) then it hasn't been an issue.

I used 1/16 wall tube for my sticks (22 stick length with 20 inch step spacing). I bought 7/8th OD oak dowel from lowe's and inserted long wise about 2 to 3 inches of dowel in each end (where each step/stand off is), drilled the 1/4 inch hole and bolted them back together. I am 220lbs, used them all season and had zero issues with them.

If I’m understanding this right, are you doing that mainly to reduce the chance of damage from over tightening the bolt? It seems the bushings would be more to alleviate the downward force from the bolt against the thin wall, and I don’t see how the dowels would help that? Plus it seems you’d lose the marginal weight savings of the thinner wall by adding those.

I used a small square block of wood that just slid up in my post for my diy platform and drilled a 1/4 hole thru it.

i file/sand these down to fit inside my tubes at the standoffs/steps

If I’m understanding this right, are you doing that mainly to reduce the chance of damage from over tightening the bolt? It seems the bushings would be more to alleviate the downward force from the bolt against the thin wall, and I don’t see how the dowels would help that? Plus it seems you’d lose the marginal weight savings of the thinner wall by adding those.

I used them both for the over tightening as well as possible twist of the tube from my weight on the steps. It is, in my opinion, actually better than just a bushing as the extra length protects from the twisting. My sticks weigh 1.6 lbs each with amsteel daisy attachement as well as amsteel aiders and stealth strips.

I used this method when making some ladder tree stands out of chain-link fence post type tubing. On one side drill your hole large enough for a piece of metal of your choice tubbing to just fit through that will allow your bolt to go through it. Drill your exit hole the size of you bolt. This tubbing should be left long enough to fit flush with the outer part of your entering hole so it will not fall down in the piece and this will prevent side movement of your bolt. When you tighten down on the bolt this tubbing piece is sandwiched in the middle of your piece braced against the far wall and the edge of the near wall. For my ladders stands I used I think it was 1/4" steel gas pipe because I had it. Never had to retighten anything over many years because all stayed solid.

Some of these spacer options sound good but be aware that the combined flexure and crushing forces occur when eccentric loadings occurs, ie climbing after tightening straps to the tree. I would be more concerned with the potential of abrudt catastrophic failure after multi season use and opt for 1/8" wall, the weight savings is margina with better durability. Unless your a "wee laddy", then maybe...

Back