• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Quick Question

Matt G.

I've been doing some tinkering with my ropes on my Kestrel, and I'm trying to figure out the purpose of the figure 8 on a bight on the end of the rope.

I'm referring to the knot on the tag end, not the one that's used to girth hitch to the tree. Being my first saddle I opted for the 12 foot rope, which I've realized is way more than I'll ever need. I'm going to sacrifice a few feet, but want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks for the help guys.

That's what I suspected after I posted this. With a 12 foot tether, that would be a long fall if that ever came into play.

Thanks.

I'd wait a while before chopping off the rope, because you will be suprised how much rope it can take for a bigger tree. I also like a higher tether than some, so until you really figure out what you like leave the rope on there, that way you won't have to get another one for those bigger trees.

Good advice. I was close to cutting it, but for one reason or another I decided against it. So I left it alone for now.

We don't have many big trees on our property, but when I do hunt elsewhere, I'd hate to come up short.

with the longer rope you could wrap around twice for extra safety and to use up your slack. I always have more than enough with the shorter rope though wrapped once.

You can untie the fig8 at the end and replace it with a stopper knot. Then use something like an alpine butterfly or a fig8 at a shorter point to hook to a biner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can untie the fig8 at the end and replace it with a stopper knot. Then use something like an alpine butterfly or a fig8 at a shorter point to hook to a biner.

Thanks. I've been trying to educate myself on my knots, and this actually crossed my mind, the Alpine Butterfly to be precise.

Is it the general consensus that clipping the tag end in is a prudent/necessary practice?

Thanks. I've been trying to educate myself on my knots, and this actually crossed my mind, the Alpine Butterfly to be precise.

Is it the general consensus that clipping the tag end in is a prudent/necessary practice?
Not if you have a stopper knot. The end of the rope should be the final in a few measures to insure safety. If your using a mechanical device then that should be backed up with a tension knot and if your using one tension knot I’d recommend adding one. The worry isn’t that the device or knots fail but rather we as climbers make a critical error. Then the backup can save us without a long fall to the stopper knot.

Thanks. First season in the saddle, and never got around to getting a ropeman for the linesmans belt and bridge. I certainly see the need now, and they're on the list for the next time I'm near REI.

Oddly enough, they're not readily available on Amazon.

If you use a tender with the prusik it functions the same as a ropeman. Don’t get me wrong the devices are all super nice to have but you have to pay for them and availability can be an issue at times. A trip to the hardware store and a ~50 cent welded D ring that just fits around you tether coupled with a short piece of 550 cord and you can have an effective prusik tender for a fraction of the ropeman, and everyone is near a hardware store.....

If you use a tender with the prusik it functions the same as a ropeman. Don’t get me wrong the devices are all super nice to have but you have to pay for them and availability can be an issue at times. A trip to the hardware store and a ~50 cent welded D ring that just fits around you tether coupled with a short piece of 550 cord and you can have an effective prusik tender for a fraction of the ropeman, and everyone is near a hardware store.....

Not so sure that can be handled with one hand like a ropeman can?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's what I suspected after I posted this. With a 12 foot tether, that would be a long fall if that ever came into play.

Thanks.
I have both the 6 and 12 foot tether. With the 12 foot one I usually rap the rope around the tree twice and that will make it short and keep it in place so it will not slide down the tree.

Not so sure that can be handled with one hand like a ropeman can?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0b839d1070fda7bbaad6e5b0f30dba0d.jpg

2139a24a257cab62e84201cfd98b5ec6.jpg

Works really well! I’m sure it’s not as smooth as the ropeman but it adjusts one handed. Pull tag end of rope up it tightens, pull down on prusik it slides down the rope. This s clips are $1.50 for 4. Everywhere we use a ropeman I can use this and accomplish the same thing.
If your gonna go this route though it is best with a prusik that is short with the loop just sticking out a couple inches.

To the OP. You could tie a double fishermans if you dont like the figure 8. I have a figure 8 on both ends of mine (12ft 11mm static line) for multiple reasons.
1: I switch ends to minimize wear.
2: rope management in the saddle. Will let it hang or i coil it up and clip it to me.
3: I use it to haul my backpack.
4: It doubles as a dual lineman's belt if you carry an extra prussik. I tend to forget things so a backup is nice. I left my sitdrag in the jeep the first time I went to use it. Yup.
0b839d1070fda7bbaad6e5b0f30dba0d.jpg

2139a24a257cab62e84201cfd98b5ec6.jpg

Works really well! I’m sure it’s not as smooth as the ropeman but it adjusts one handed. Pull tag end of rope up it tightens, pull down on prusik it slides down the rope. This s clips are $1.50 for 4. Everywhere we use a ropeman I can use this and accomplish the same thing.
If your gonna go this route though it is best with a prusik that is short with the loop just sticking out a couple inches.

Jgetch- can you explain this a little more. I understand how the ropeman works. This setup I'm not so sure of the purpose of the welded link other than to keep the biner close to the rope.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

To the OP. You could tie a double fishermans if you dont like the figure 8. I have a figure 8 on both ends of mine (12ft 11mm static line) for multiple reasons.
1: I switch ends to minimize wear.
2: rope management in the saddle. Will let it hang or i coil it up and clip it to me.
3: I use it to haul my backpack.
4: It doubles as a dual lineman's belt if you carry an extra prussik. I tend to forget things so a backup is nice. I left my sitdrag in the jeep the first time I went to use it. Yup. Jgetch- can you explain this a little more. I understand how the ropeman works. This setup I'm not so sure of the purpose of the welded link other than to keep the biner close to the rope.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
If you pull on the tail of the rope, the rope slide through the S until the prusik gets to it and once it does it pushes the prusik up the rope for one handed adjustability. This has nothing to do with keeping the rope near the biner. Do a google search for “prusik tender”.

Back