• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Quiet Outer Wear Thread

Wirrex

Staff member
SH Member
Why are so many products marketed to hunters unbelievably loud? The stuff for western hunting seems to be the worst.

I just packaged up over a grand of Kuiu products to catch a ride back to the factory. It’s like a tyvek suit. There is just no way I am going to be able to keep my sanity when I sound like I’m waltzing through a ski chalet.

Is it too much to ask for a product that you can hike endless miles in, give you a little wind protection, and not be the equivalent of a garbage bag?

What do you guys use? Any quality silent clothing deserves a post in this thread. Bonus if it’s available in solid colors.

Last edited:
U got any Wally world wrangler pants?...do u consider them loud or quiet?...just so we can have a baseline of what u consider quiet

In my opinion they are borderline.

Edit: that is if your talking about the stretchy cargo variety.

Last edited:
If it ain't quiet I won't wear it hunting that's for sure.
I have a bunch of different brands of clothes that are quiet.
Predator, Scentlok, Sitka...
That's what sucks about buying stuff from the computer. You can't try it on...

You’re right about that but there’s only one way to know. Firstlite got me a few years back too.

Your suggestions make some silent gear. Do they offer any that you would feel comfortable hunting out west from the ground with a bow? Sitka might have something if they didn’t make it all in elevated 2. That color sticks out like a blue party balloon on the ground. Solid colors are ideal.

^^^ Hahaha!
I am NOT a fan of elevated 2. It's ok in the snow but that's it.
I have a bunch of different Predator stuff . Their cold weather stuff that I have is awesome UNLESS it it rains. That stuff soaks up water big time.
I don't have a whole lot of Scentlok but what I do have is really nice!

Oh yea, I have 1 pair of Badlands pants that I love but that isn't much to go off of...
The material is super nice and the camo pattern looks cool. (if you look cool you won't eat tag soup)

Why are so many products marketed to hunters unbelievably loud? The stuff for western hunting seems to be the worst.

I just packaged up over a grand of Kuiu products to catch a ride back to the factory. It’s like a tyvek suit. There is just no way I am going to be able to keep my sanity when I sound like I’m waltzing through a ski chalet.

Is it too much to ask for a product that you can hike endless miles in, give you a little wind protection, and not be the equivalent of a garbage bag?

What do you guys use? Any quality silent clothing deserves a post in this thread. Bonus if it’s available in solid colors.
Which pieces from kuiu and first lite did you have issues with?

I’ve been happy with almost all my Natural Gear clothes. The rain gear make some noise but all my other pieces have been very quiet

I understand people's distrust/dislike of the scentlok concept but I've found their camo to be some of the quietest camo fabrics available. In addition its proven to be pretty durable in my experience.
Agreed. I have the Windbrace suit and it’s very quiet. I’ve found the fabric to be resistant to tearing as well. Wool is very quiet but not wind blocking.

Some quiet outer garments.
Cabelas - Berber extreme. No longer made.
Cabelas - Berber. No longer made.
Day One camo cowboy suede.
Sitka fanatic

Worth noting: when i walk into a store to look at hunting clothing, the first thing i do it grab the material, while it is still on the hanger, and i rub it together. If i hear it, i just walk away. it has to be absolutely silent for me to even consider it. then i get into a whole level of OCD over other features!!

Worth noting: when i walk into a store to look at hunting clothing, the first thing i do it grab the material, while it is still on the hanger, and i rub it together. If i hear it, i just walk away. it has to be absolutely silent for me to even consider it. then i get into a whole level of OCD over other features!!
Same here. First test: grab the material and rub it together. Second test: hold material to my mouth and test its wind resistance. Start looking at features after that.

Agreed. I have the Windbrace suit and it’s very quiet. I’ve found the fabric to be resistant to tearing as well. Wool is very quiet but not wind blocking.
Another agreement, bought some about 10 months ago during one of their deep discount sales, even if it wasn’t activated carbon I like it, especially for the money paid. Soft quiet and pretty warm. Only complaint is I think I’m a size Marge (halfway between medium and large), I’d say some pieces run a touch small.

Some quiet outer garments.
Cabelas - Berber extreme. No longer made.
Cabelas - Berber. No longer made.
Day One camo cowboy suede.
Sitka fanatic

Has anyone owned cowboy suede? I have been intrigued. Gray wolf woolens is within driving distance.

Has anyone owned cowboy suede? I have been intrigued. Gray wolf woolens is within driving distance.
Danos pouches in cowboy suede are really nice....I would wager clothes made out of it would be really nice too. Definetly quiet definitely not windproof

Back