• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Quietest climbing method?

Benzy2

Trying to get in close to the beds this year. Looking to replace a lot of things that were either too bulky, heavy, or loud.

I’ll mostly be hunting private land that I do not own. I don’t have permission currently to put up anything permanent but I think that may be a possibility. If so I’ll probably pick a half dozen trees for different winds and put a ladder or steps in.

In the mean time, what’s the quietest climbing method you’ve found. I plan to hunt a marsh and will be 50ish yards from bedding. What is the quietest non-permanent climbing method you’ve used? Likely no presets though that may be a possibility too. I’m ok with slow methods as long as they are quiet.

Most can be relatively quiet. All with good practice

For me personally known sticks, wild edge steps and I also 2TC. I have found 2TC the quietest for me. I would feel comfortable with all three options though being quiet.

2TC gives you an advantage of less metal but ropes on certain bark can be more noisy. Slow is quiet

How high do you typically hunt?
What type of trees do you hunt, lots of limbs, bid small???

20-25ft high. I like higher than lower but if it has to be low I’ll do that. Trees are typically basketball sized or a little smaller. I try not to push either very large or small trees. Typically few to no branches until hunting height, though I try to get close to canopy/other trees to hide my outline. I’m not sure on the tree type, whatever is growing in lower MI that’s of sufficient size with minimal low branches has been what I’ve been using. This is really going to be the first time heading away from the fixed stands/blinds or close by them so learning it all as early as I can before season.

On hard bark trees 2TC is quiet. I could not get it to work for me. But if you can get the hang of it it should work for you.
Trying to get to 25 feet this may be your best option.
I have not done any rope climbing, but what little I know you need to have presets.
I use Tree Hopper steps with daisy chain attachment and aiders. With 6 steps I can get 12 steps high. To get to 25 feet with a 18" step distance you would need 9 steps.
But this is the quietest method I use.
My second method is sticks. Sticks make more noise because you have to set the stick and the standoff scraping the bark sounds like a climbing treestand. So the fewer sticks the better. Again trying to get 25 feet would not work unless you one stick. I think one sticking is going to make too much noise, others may disagree.

I edited the number of steps needed above to 9.

Last edited:
Some methods have more opportunity to make noise, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that you will make more noise. In the end it’s more about the person than the method. I one stick and ground set plus to moves gets my platform to 20’. Had a mature buck walk right under my butt so close I could have spit on his back while one sticking up a tree once. I was about 12’ up hanging on the side of the tree with everything on my back at the time and all I could do was watch him walk off. Good Luck!

I second 2Tc. It is the quietest method I have used on hard barked trees. Very little metal to make noise and it packs down very small. You are not limited to how high up you can get. Many methods can be quiet if you just go very slow and really pay attention.

My private spots to get multiple setup prepped I love bolts. Predrill them all, just show up to hunt. For public I still feel I’m quietest with my beast sticks, they’re stealth stripped & the buckles are covered. I can do other methods quietly but that’s super close to bedding. Think about any method that has a lot of body movement, that’s potential for noise at that distance. I know it can be done but again bolts would be a great option for your scenario

2TC seems like it would be everything I want. The quiet is great and if I’m wading through the marsh, not having 10-15# of sticks seems even better. I tried 2TC last summer but with a very cheap amsteal homemade option and hated it. But that was more because the foot loop wouldn’t stay open and wasn’t secure to stay on the foot. I’m going to need to look into who’s making a good, comfortable foot loop.

I am going to push to put up some bolts. It’s family land out in a swamp. They haven’t had issue with other family putting up permanent stands/blinds in the more accessible areas so I don’t think it will be a problem in a spot nobody has been in the last 2 decades. Still like the idea of not needing to ask about it or moving to a different tree if needed.

2TC seems like it would be everything I want. The quiet is great and if I’m wading through the marsh, not having 10-15# of sticks seems even better. I tried 2TC last summer but with a very cheap amsteal homemade option and hated it. But that was more because the foot loop wouldn’t stay open and wasn’t secure to stay on the foot. I’m going to need to look into who’s making a good, comfortable foot loop.

I am going to push to put up some bolts. It’s family land out in a swamp. They haven’t had issue with other family putting up permanent stands/blinds in the more accessible areas so I don’t think it will be a problem in a spot nobody has been in the last 2 decades. Still like the idea of not needing to ask about it or moving to a different tree if needed.
You don’t have to leave the bolts just the holes. Take them in & out each time…. Not much liability there

I tried 2TC last summer but with a very cheap amsteal homemade option and hated it. But that was more because the foot loop wouldn’t stay open and wasn’t secure to stay on the foot. I’m going to need to look into who’s making a good, comfortable foot loop.
Several different quality options here https://www.customgearmodifications.com/shop-1 Good Luck!

If you can do pre-sets, SRT is easily the quietest. With a good rhythm, you can glide up the rope effortless and silent.

Without presets, rope techniques will be the loudest due to the throwball/tag line/main line procedure and 2TC is the quietest as long as you’re not in a hurry. Sticks can be just as quiet but requires far more deliberate actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I climbed an oak tree once while there was a 1.5 year old buck feeding under it. He heard me a few times but never enough to spook a really dumb buck. Spurs or gaffs are quiet as well. You don’t mention the type of tree. Pines here are super noisy to climb. Bolts or screw in steps set ahead of time are the absolute quietest way. Stick ladders preset are nice but the can occasionally make unwanted noise.

@Hall17 gave you good advice, most methods are quiet if done properly. It takes practice.
I agree! I will say I’ve tried multiple methods for climbing. But as I get older and less agile I truly believe multiple sticks and going slow and quiet are the best. I know others will disagree. Slow and steady wins the game! Having presets are a bonus. I hunt 95% Public but if I have a chance to hunt private with some presets that’s a no brainer! Good luck.

In my mind it depends on the type of tree and also certain scenarios. Loose bark trees such as pines are pretty noisy no matter how I climb (but sticks seem to be the quietest for me). If you can leave presets on a good oak or hickory, Ddrt is virtually silent. The catch is if you can’t have presets. SRT the mechanicals make some noise. Spurs make about the same noise as SRT because you peel some bark every time you press that gaf into the tree. If you are on private land leaving sticks up or stew in bolts are pretty quiet as well but you can’t use them on public and I wouldn’t leave high dollar sticks on the tree either because of fear they will be stolen or sabotaged. So I’m saying presets on public land with Ddrt,
Screw in steps, sticks or presets on private land

Back