• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

rappel rope tag end

Dmathews87

Been fiddling non stop with my rappel rope trying different bags/pouches and finally decided (which ill probably change again right before the opener lol) that i want my rappel line in my backpack and ill just pull it all out and climb. When i was using the pouch i did tend to keep the tag end in the pouch. My question is how many guys hunting with it this way? Any issues with deer spooking seeing that line hanging down?

I’ve had deer walk up and smell it. I also hunt a farm with all kinds of livestock and none of them seem bothered by it. I figure they figure it’s just something swaying in the breeze. Having said that I keep mine in the pouch as I don’t want it hanging down when I’m one sticking, it’s just an extra thing I’m likely to get tangled up in.

I’ve had deer walk up and smell it. I also hunt a farm with all kinds of livestock and none of them seem bothered by it. I figure they figure it’s just something swaying in the breeze. Having said that I keep mine in the pouch as I don’t want it hanging down when I’m one sticking, it’s just an extra thing I’m likely to get tangled up in.

Ive climbed a couple times with all the rope out and didnt notice myself getting caught up too bad...also havent done it in the dark yet...Im just trying real hard not to have 2 loaded down dump pouches...

If you tie your pack to the tag end of your rappel line as you climb, you will not only prevent yourself from climbing higher than your rope, you won't have to wear your pack up the tree or haul it up on the same line as your bow. Also you can coil your rope as you haul your pack up the tree and stash it in the pack once you retrieve it.

Ive climbed a couple times with all the rope out and didnt notice myself getting caught up too bad...also havent done it in the dark yet...Im just trying real hard not to have 2 loaded down dump pouches...
I try and limit my chances of misfortune.

Back